Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Aarons to Bayern

7 hours ago, AJ said:

If we get promoted I can't see why he wouldn't stay another year. Another season with guaranteed first team football doesn't sound bad as opposed to going to somewhere like Barca or Bayern and probably getting loaned out somewhere

It’s all about the money if he goes he will get a decent cut and higher wages I guess 

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Aarons might take Farke to Bayern with him...

Farke to Borussia Monchengladbach is more likely as their manager is going to Dortmund in the summer.

But to the original OP, is Aarons really going to usurp Benjamin Pavard the french word cup winning right back who is still only 24?

People seem to be confusing the offer we got last summer from Barcelona with a different offer from another club in January which NCFC and Max didn't want to consider. As Max wasn't interested it clearly wasn't Barcelona or Bayern. If it was he would be gone already. 

Webber's statement was that "we had been contacted by a club who didn't interest Max" . 

Some people think he might go to a top club and get loaned out. Am I alone in thinking he's good enough for a really big club already? He's barely put a foot wrong since he got into the team. 

I'll be really sorry to see him go but it seems inevitable to me. I can't think of a better right back in England who will be available for transfer but my knowledge of young European players is limited. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Farke to Borussia Monchengladbach is more likely as their manager is going to Dortmund in the summer.

But to the original OP, is Aarons really going to usurp Benjamin Pavard the french word cup winning right back who is still only 24?

Quite possibly. Hansi Flick said he wanted another RB as Pavard has been out of form. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bayern-munich-to-buy-new-right-back-sarr-pavard-richards-amp-co-have-struggled/view/news/377264

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Barca have to up the offer dramatically from the “we’ll take him on loan and coach him properly” nonsense they tried last time

Yes that was outrageous and a sign of ownership out of touch with the times. 

A strange offer. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

If he goes to Bayern Munich he would be winning trophies and pushing for an England slot.. hopefully we would then be in the premiership, would invest the cash into the first team and keep Emi who is essential to our ability to win games. We'd be able to keep Todd too hopefully... Saying that would hate to see him go as he is so consistent and gives us a real threat on the right....great player brilliant attitude.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

People seem to be confusing the offer we got last summer from Barcelona with a different offer from another club in January which NCFC and Max didn't want to consider. As Max wasn't interested it clearly wasn't Barcelona or Bayern. If it was he would be gone already. 

Webber's statement was that "we had been contacted by a club who didn't interest Max" . 

Some people think he might go to a top club and get loaned out. Am I alone in thinking he's good enough for a really big club already? He's barely put a foot wrong since he got into the team. 

I'll be really sorry to see him go but it seems inevitable to me. I can't think of a better right back in England who will be available for transfer but my knowledge of young European players is limited. 

How tall is Max? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If he goes to Bayern Munich he would be winning trophies and pushing for an England slot.. hopefully we would then be in the premiership, would invest the cash into the first team and keep Emi who is essential to our ability to win games. We'd be able to keep Todd too hopefully... Saying that would hate to see him go as he is so consistent and gives us a real threat on the right....great player brilliant attitude.

And then we wake up and Emi has gone too. I’m with you all the way and wish Max all the best where ever he ends up. If we do get promoted quality has to be brought in this time.

35 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How tall is Max? 

He's 5 ft 10 which some clubs think isn't big enough for a full back. Mourinho used to insist that defenders were at least 5ft 11 but changed his mind when he saw Ashley Cole.

He may have a point in the Premier League but perhaps they think differently in Spain and Germany. There certainly seems to be more interest from outside the UK at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He's 5 ft 10 which some clubs think isn't big enough for a full back. Mourinho used to insist that defenders were at least 5ft 11 but changed his mind when he saw Ashley Cole.

He may have a point in the Premier League but perhaps they think differently in Spain and Germany. There certainly seems to be more interest from outside the UK at the moment. 

More fool them then to sign him at that height. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

More fool them then to sign him at that height. 

Cole played 100 times for England and won titles with Chelsea and Arsenal. If ever there was an exception to the height rule it was him

I like to think that if we get promoted we wouldn't be willing to sell any of our best players. I know obviously £35m is a huge amount of money and probably a fair price for Aarons, but I just think it sends completely the wrong message, to both the fans and the squad, to sell one of your best players just after promotion, ala Bradley Johnson.

Also I'm pretty sure the offer for Max we got in January wasn't from Bayern. Webber did mention it being from abroad but also said it wasn't the right fit and not a move that would work for him, which suggests it wasn't a European giant like Bayern.

Have to say while I obviously don't want him to go and as I said above I wouldn't sell him even if we got promoted, it'd be a massively proud moment as a Norwich fan to see one of our academy products sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world for a huge fee. I think it'd be a move that would really suit him and he could easily become a world-class right back at Bayern. I do hope it's something we're not seeing soon though!

Edited by Pukki Blinders

29 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

I like to think that if we get promoted we wouldn't be willing to sell any of our best players. I know obviously £35m is a huge amount of money and probably a fair price for Aarons, but I just think it sends completely the wrong message, to both the fans and the squad, to sell one of your best players just after promotion, ala Bradley Johnson.

Sorry to be blunt, but have you been asleep for the last three years? It is *exactly* the message we want to send - that young players can join us, get well coached and have a real chance at first team football with the result that clubs like Bayern will be looking at them. And when the offer does come, we don’t stand in their way.

To refuse to let Max go if we get the price we want and he wants to go would be foolish in the extreme. We would be slamming the door on all the promising academy recruits. Plus we may well have the next Max Aarons in Bali Mumba. How’s he ever going to get the chance to shine?

• Like 5

I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but how does he get a work permit to play in Germany when he hasn't yet played for England - anyone know?

11 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but how does he get a work permit to play in Germany when he hasn't yet played for England - anyone know?

Quite a few young players have gone from England to Germany in the last few years such as Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham. I don't know if they came under a different set of rules because they were younger than Max is now - or indeed if those rules have changed since Brexit. 

Like some

said earlier in this thread - we always have Sorensen. If he can play that well on the left, imagine how good he could be on the right. 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry to be blunt, but have you been asleep for the last three years? It is *exactly* the message we want to send - that young players can join us, get well coached and have a real chance at first team football with the result that clubs like Bayern will be looking at them. And when the offer does come, we don’t stand in their way.

To refuse to let Max go if we get the price we want and he wants to go would be foolish in the extreme. We would be slamming the door on all the promising academy recruits. Plus we may well have the next Max Aarons in Bali Mumba. How’s he ever going to get the chance to shine?

It's not though, is it? There's a big difference between allowing a young player to move on when the time is right and selling your best players regardless of what division, league position or situation we find ourselves in. How do you think the current squad would react if we got promoted and then sold Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell before the season even started? I don't think any player who is considering us as a potential home is going to be chomping at the bit to join if we have a reputation as an unambitious club who are happy to sell our best players year after year even if it is at the expense of progressing and getting better as a club.

Fact is we have to strike a balance, and as Webber has said time after time when players do leave it will be on our terms. I don't think anyone's under any illusions about the sort of club we are. We do need to sell players to survive and it's a crucial part of our business model, but just selling them whenever we get a half-decent offer or when the player fancies leaving, purely because we have a philosophy of 'not standing in players way' isn't in our best interest and isn't going to help us long-term. The fact we turned down Liverpool's move for Lewis despite the fact he obviously wanted to move perfectly showcases that. When he eventually did leave, it was because we allowed it and it was on our terms.

I'm not saying that if we go up Webber should just turn his phone off and tell Aarons, Buendia that they're not allowed to leave at any cost, but simply that because we've now been promoted and want to compete in the Premier League any club wanting to sign them will have to pay a lot more. I do think if we say to those players "Look, play in the Premier League with us this season, and then at the end of the campaign, regardless of what league we're in, we won't stand in your way of a move" then they would be understanding of that. Obviously the lure of a club like Bayern is huge, and you couldn't blame Max for wanting to go. If that was the case then we'd have to work out what was best. But, if we were to get promoted, our starting position as club should be that we do not want to lose anyone and aren't interested in selling.

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Max is 5ft 8 according to Wiki.

Wiki and other sites say he is 1.78m which is 5ft 10. Just shows how big footballers are these days. Most of them seem to be much bigger than Max

3 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

It's not though, is it? There's a big difference between allowing a young player to move on when the time is right and selling your best players regardless of what division, league position or situation we find ourselves in. How do you think the current squad would react if we got promoted and then sold Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell before the season even started? I don't think any player who is considering us as a potential home is going to be chomping at the bit to join if we have a reputation as an unambitious club who are happy to sell our best players year after year even if it is at the expense of progressing and getting better as a club.

Fact is we have to strike a balance, and as Webber has said time after time when players do leave it will be on our terms. I don't think anyone's under any illusions about the sort of club we are. We do need to sell players to survive and it's a crucial part of our business model, but just selling them whenever we get a half-decent offer or when the player fancies leaving, purely because we have a philosophy of 'not standing in players way' isn't in our best interest and isn't going to help us long-term. The fact we turned down Liverpool's move for Lewis despite the fact he obviously wanted to move perfectly showcases that. When he eventually did leave, it was because we allowed it and it was on our terms.

I'm not saying that if we go up Webber should just turn his phone off and tell Aarons, Buendia that they're not allowed to leave at any cost, but simply that because we've now been promoted and want to compete in the Premier League any club wanting to sign them will have to pay a lot more. I do think if we say to those players "Look, play in the Premier League with us this season, and then at the end of the campaign, regardless of what league we're in, we won't stand in your way of a move" then they would be understanding of that. Obviously the lure of a club like Bayern is huge, and you couldn't blame Max for wanting to go. If that was the case then we'd have to work out what was best. But, if we were to get promoted, our starting position as club should be that we do not want to lose anyone and aren't interested in selling.

That is the precise reason players will want to join us. They see us as a stepping stone to the promised land, which is fair enough. However well we do we will never be able to compete with the really big clubs on a consistent basis, unless of course Delia and Michael sell up to someone extremely rich. Even Leicester will struggle to hold on to players even if they finish in the top 4.

If we do manage to get £35m for Max it's an amazing piece of business in the current market where a club like Liverpool can only afford to buy a cheap centre half from Preston. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorry but a little naive here.  Selling Max won't make the slightest difference to our ability to keep Emi and Todd. What will make a difference is what level of clubs come in for them. If it's a genuine big step up to a top 6 club then of course, they're going to want to go and it's Webbers job to make sure we get a fair price.

We then have the opportunity to attain more promising youngsters on the same premise that we can develop them into top players.

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Quite a few young players have gone from England to Germany in the last few years such as Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham. I don't know if they came under a different set of rules because they were younger than Max is now - or indeed if those rules have changed since Brexit. 

Yes the rules changed. Right to work is a two way street. 

4 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Who on here is saying we should sell our "best players regardless of what division, league position or situation we find ourselves in"?

Or that we should be "an unambitious club who are happy to sell our best players year after year even if it is at the expense of progressing and getting better as a club"? (I could think on a few, mainly ex-, posters on here who would like to claim that, but are sadly lacking in any evidence for the last few years).

Or "just selling them whenever we get a half-decent offer or when the player fancies leaving"?

No-one. You're making up points to argue against that no-one is proposing.

The fact remains that if we get an offer that matches our valuation of one of our players from one of the biggest football clubs in the world, we have to take it. Not just as evidence that we can show to prospective recruits why they should join the club, but also to avoid not only p*ssing off the player in question, but also those who can see a similar route potentially being there for themselves. That does not translate to throwing the towel in, lacking ambition, rolling over or any other accusations you'd like to invent, but behaving realistically, exactly as the vast majority of other clubs would *and* it would be a huge endorsement of the way Webber has run the club since he joined.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JF said:

Going to be painful next season if we get promoted and have sold Emi and Aaron’s 😬

Dunno, I’ve got quite used to at least being elated every other season. It’s a bit more stimulating than being eternally disappointed in a ‘top 20 to 10’ relegation battle without even a Cup Run to enjoy and your reward is 16th place....

• Like 1

Going to be a very interesting summer if we do go up.

If we end up selling Emi, Todd and Max you'd imagine the collective fees would be around £100m. Add in the money from Premier League promotion and I think fans could quite rightly expect us to spending the kind of money we lampooned Villa and Fulham for.

4 hours ago, interwebme said:

Yes the rules changed. Right to work is a two way street. 

When you think of the hurdles NCFC have had deal with to get Soto into the squad, I imagine similar for Max going to Germany. Could be Man U easier deal to get over the line, if the price is right. Would prefer him to go to Germany.

• Like 1

Firstly are Luton due any sell on percentage? If we were to get £35m for him, it would be good business and providing the whole amount is reinvested back into the team we should be able to find a capable replacement and adding to other positions as well. 

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Firstly are Luton due any sell on percentage? If we were to get £35m for him, it would be good business and providing the whole amount is reinvested back into the team we should be able to find a capable replacement and adding to other positions as well. 

I think he’d already left Luton before he came to us so we wouldn’t owe them anything 

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

Going to be a very interesting summer if we do go up.

If we end up selling Emi, Todd and Max you'd imagine the collective fees would be around £100m. Add in the money from Premier League promotion and I think fans could quite rightly expect us to spending the kind of money we lampooned Villa and Fulham for.

I personally wouldn't expect us to pay £100m in transfer fee's, nor would I expect us sign players on £75,000 p/w.