Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The God known as Walker!

Reading my Pink Un in bed today ( sounds worse than it is! ) there was an article in it about Mike Walker wanting to get back into English club management or coaching.

PLEASE  PLEASE  PLEASE!.

If there is indeed a tooth fairy, please rescue us by sacking ''it'' and appointing Mike. It will of course take Delia and Co to admit they were wrong in the first place, so I won''t hold my breath.

But what a chance to see slick passing football back at Curra Rud again.

I''m nearly wetting  myself at the the thought of it!.

Come on you Yellows.

I heard Mike was running a skip Company. I don''t want Walker in, he''s been out the game too long. I want someone new and fresh!

It just brings back the memories of the good old days does''nt it.  At the very least the club shouldconsider employing him on a coaching basis - like you say Wiz he would bring back slick passing football which would play to the strenght of a lot of our players.

However like you say can you see the board swalloing ther pride - I doubt it.

Prompted by Wiz''s thoughts,  I went onto the Flown from the Nest website, where it says:

QUOTE:  Mike Walker was devastated after his second spell as Norwich manager came to an end on Thursday 30th April 1998........"I am bitterly disappointed to say the least," he told the Norwich Evening News. "They have decided to make a decision which is their prerogative and at the end of the day, that''s the way it is.... I think I have worked hard under trying circumstances this year, but the decision has been made. We all know the problems we have had. This is the way it has ended up. It has ended, but that is football and that is something you have to accept...."

Norwich vice-chairman Roger Munby claimed Walker had gone now to give the Canaries plenty of time to find a replacement who could take them back to the Premiership. "We chose this timing, the earliest possible time, to give ourselves the best possible chance of setting out with the right recruitment policy," he told ClubCall. "It is an open process. We have given ourselves the maximum possible time.  We want to deliver the right football manager able to deliver our number one objective - the Premiership."  UNQUOTE

Well - what''s different now?  Personally, I''m not one to counsel rushing to bring back Mike Walker, although I think he didn''t have it easy in the months before he left, and he left with dignity. 

But it''s not as if Munby & Co haven''t acted before.  [8-)]

So, come on, Roger!  In your own words (more or less): "Let''s be ''avin'' a new manager at the earliest possible time to deliver our number one objective - the Premiership!!!!"  [<:o)]

Just had a little read of the Walker entry on flown from the nest. Key quote would be "1998: His second spell is ended by mutual consent on April 30

with the club safe from relegation in 16th place in Division One,

but in poor form." Now, the difference now is we are most certainly not safe from relegation and are in poor form. You must also think back to the players Walker had, they weren''t great and nothing compared to what we have now. I''d certainly have him back as manager. Possibly he''d look to bring in some "football players" and coaches like Crook, Bowen etc. Men that are for football played on the floor. We can dream.

[quote user="Sir Quinny"]

It just brings back the memories of the good old days does''nt it.  At the very least the club shouldconsider employing him on a coaching basis - like you say Wiz he would bring back slick passing football which would play to the strenght of a lot of our players.

However like you say can you see the board swalloing ther pride - I doubt it.

[/quote]

I like that idea though. Walker as a coach would be good!

I urge you Tom to get up to speed regarding Mike, and track down the article in yesterdays Pink un, he''s been in Cyprus a while and and I believe he''s still fit for the job.

Talent is not fleeting, nor is man managment which Mike excelled in!

Man management was definitely Mikes strong suit - I was told by an influential and knowledgeable NCFC director ( not current) that Mike was the best man manager he had ever seen - and this guy had a lot of experience.

But when you consider Delia and the mobile mouthpiece sacked him when we were doing better than we are now and his wife had recently died - you can''t see them backing down.  This does put their whole ''family image'' into context though doesn''t it?

I certainly don''t think Walker is the answer, though he could probably have some sort of role to play.  Imo he succeeded the first time round due to circumstances as much as anything - he inherited a very good squad, was promoted from within so knew the players and their capabilities and they knew him - this sort of thing can count for a lot.  He was clearly a good coach given the right cirumstances, but for me "was" is the key word - his second spell at the Club was very poor (as were his spells elsewhere), and who is to say that a third term would be any better, particularly with him having been out of the loop for so long?   

If we are to find any parallel now with the days in which Walker took over, it would be either Livermore or Williams who take the helm should Worthy leave, but there are plenty of others with links to the Club who I would prefer to see over Walker.

Mike Walker was sat at the back of the Director''s box last Sunday - watching our pathetic display against the Binbags!

Bruce Rioch often attends the home games as well. ;~)

The best football i have seen City play was under Walker...but you cant turn the clock back. The game has changed since he left, his open style of play would have us crucified in this division.

I wish Mike Well wherever he ends up.. hes a dam good manager who wasnt given time at Everton (who were in decline when howard knedall left) or at us 2nd time round....

It would only work here if he got John Deehan back.. a good manager needs a good asistant and Dixie helped bring the glory days here.....

i wouldnt want to see him here though.. the fans would put too much pressure on him... want instant success.. and it would be 1998 all over again

jas :)

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]I heard Mike was running a skip Company.[/quote]

Considering what I just paid for a skip, he''s probably making more in this line of work than he would managing City!

Well summed up Branston, do supporters really think a man now in his sixties and out of the game for so long is the answer ?  If so it was a rather silly question.

Then blame the Pink un for running the article Intenso, not I. On another point, age is no issue, if it was, there would be hundreds of managers sacked worldwide for it.

What a silly comment!.