Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Norwich linked to Lewis O'Brien

23 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Spurs considered recalling him in January. Was it to re-loan elsewhere? Even if it was they soon realised the folly in that as he is guaranteed to start here when fit. He is an integral cog in the wheel and nobody is better at the club in the role he performs. Outside the top 8 he would get into and improve the midfield in most Premier league sides

Then why didn't they ask to borrow him when they had the opportunity in January? All they had to do was phone Spurs and they could have got him. 

We had all this nonsense 2 years ago when people were saying that Leitner and Trybull were going to be good enough for the Premier League. 

He does look like a young Gary Holt! If he’s as good snap him up......

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I fail to see how anyone can think he is a Premier League player. He is certainly an extremely good Championship player but the gulf is now huge. 

Can't believe no one wanted Mount so Derby got him for a season. Obviously too **** for the Premier League.

No one wanted Tim Cahill til he was 24, obviously too **** for the Premier League.

Michail Antonio must never have been good for the Premier League as no one wanted him whilst he was at Sheffield Weds, Forest etc al.

What a ridiculous argument.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Then why didn't they ask to borrow him when they had the opportunity in January? All they had to do was phone Spurs and they could have got him. 

We had all this nonsense 2 years ago when people were saying that Leitner and Trybull were going to be good enough for the Premier League. 

Completely different as Skipp is much younger and already belongs to a massive club. 

As an aside I’m pretty sure Leitner not cutting it in the PL had very little to do with his natural ability. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Can't believe no one wanted Mount so Derby got him for a season. Obviously too **** for the Premier League.

No one wanted Tim Cahill til he was 24, obviously too **** for the Premier League.

Michail Antonio must never have been good for the Premier League as no one wanted him whilst he was at Sheffield Weds, Forest etc al.

What a ridiculous argument.

Nobody wanted Buendia either when we signed him. Obviously much too ****. 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you dont personally rate him thats fair enough but I have to agree with others that your reasonings so far dont make sense.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Who's to say they didn't? Your reasoning is poor and based entirely upon supposition that no other offers were made. I could equally argue that Norwich have built a reputation for developing talent (as recently reported) and Spurs wanted him here for a greater benefit than playing  a different style of football at a club who are in the top league but guess what, that's an assumption too, as I don't know and neither do you. If you don't think he's good enough, fair enough, we agree to differ (with virtually everyone on here if you notice) but your stated reasoning is flawed.

I'm certain that Skipp will, over the course of his career spend more seasons at the top level than we as a club will. 

Edited by All the Germans

Could do a lot worse regardless of which division we are in and it looks that Spurs are fully intending having Skipp in their first team squad next season which the lad full deserves and a very good advert for the loans policy whereby both clubs and player benefit

Footballer height is obviously a major concern......I think Puma and Adidas etc need to design a range of boots for the vertically challenged player....eg, Platformed Pumas, Umbro Upyergo, New Balance Bigboy or Mizuno Nonmini and Adidas Cuban Heeled Hoofers.....or something along that line......

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's not a weird argument at all. No Premier League clubs wanted him last summer. Spurs could have recalled him in January to loan to a Premier League club but no one wanted him. He is a very good Championship player but these days that is a million miles away from being a good Premier League player. Sorry, but he's just not good enough. 

No it is a weird argument, a very weird argument.

Firstly, Spurs were considering recalling him in Jan but didn't want to hamper his progress and regular team football at the top of the champs - and he was also clearly happy to stay. Why disrupt his season when he's settled, its going well and its the first time he's played regular senior football? 

Taking your logic of 'prem interest' further then it looks like we need to upgrade every single player in the team except for Buendia and Aarons - they're the only two who've had prem clubs interested after all!

Its like you don't think players are capable of stepping up a division. I'd argue that a 20 year old, playing his first season of regular senior football, starting every single league game as a stand-out performer, widely reputed amongst Spurs fans as one of their brightest young talents, might just be someone who can make that step up? In fact it looks pretty certain that he will be in the prem very soon, but we will see. 

But certainly if we already had him here on a permanent deal, I would not be even considering an upgrade in his position if promoted and he's probably one of the first four names on the team sheet (alongside Buendia, Aarons and Krul).

• Thanks 2

Height isn't everything, the tallest people can't necessarily jump the highest after all

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Could do a lot worse regardless of which division we are in and it looks that Spurs are fully intending having Skipp in their first team squad next season which the lad full deserves and a very good advert for the loans policy whereby both clubs and player benefit

Whatever happens , I have a feeling Skipp won’t be playing under Josè . 

7 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

No it is a weird argument, a very weird argument.

Firstly, Spurs were considering recalling him in Jan but didn't want to hamper his progress and regular team football at the top of the champs - and he was also clearly happy to stay. Why disrupt his season when he's settled, its going well and its the first time he's played regular senior football? 

Taking your logic of 'prem interest' further then it looks like we need to upgrade every single player in the team except for Buendia and Aarons - they're the only two who've had prem clubs interested after all!

Its like you don't think players are capable of stepping up a division. I'd argue that a 20 year old, playing his first season of regular senior football, starting every single league game as a stand-out performer, widely reputed amongst Spurs fans as one of their brightest young talents, might just be someone who can make that step up? In fact it looks pretty certain that he will be in the prem very soon, but we will see. 

But certainly if we already had him here on a permanent deal, I would not be even considering an upgrade in his position if promoted and he's probably one of the first four names on the team sheet (alongside Buendia, Aarons and Krul).

I have 2 friends who are Spurs season ticket holders. They call him Sideways Skipp. 

He's a Norwich player at the moment and I'd love to see him do well. But he's just a very good ratter, in fact he's probably the best at it in the Championship. That's very different from being a good Premier League player. To be that standard you you have to be far more of an all round player and be able to consistently and creatively pass the ball forwards as well as doing the dirty stuff. And the odd goal obviously helps. 

At the moment he might get the occasional game for the bottom 4 teams in the Premier League but that's about it. If we want to survive we need better. Take off your yellow tinted spectacles, learn from what happened last time we went up and make a more considered judgement. 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have 2 friends who are Spurs season ticket holders. They call him Sideways Skipp. 

He's a Norwich player at the moment and I'd love to see him do well. But he's just a very good ratter, in fact he's probably the best at it in the Championship. That's very different from being a good Premier League player. To be that standard you you have to be far more of an all round player and be able to consistently and creatively pass the ball forwards as well as doing the dirty stuff. And the odd goal obviously helps. 

At the moment he might get the occasional game for the bottom 4 teams in the Premier League but that's about it. If we want to survive we need better. Take off your yellow tinted spectacles, learn from what happened last time we went up and make a more considered judgement. 

Your opinion so that's fair enough - but I can't agree.

From what I've seen of Spurs fans on social media they rate him very highly - and as mentioned he would probably be my 4th name on the team sheet at the moment. 

He might not be the most expansive with his passing but that's not his role. His job is to shield the defence, and get the ball to our creative players. He has been great at it this season. 

So say he was currently a permanent NCFC player, and we have now been promoted to the PL:

How urgent is our need to upgrade Skipp in this scenario? Specifically what areas would you want to strengthen before you got to Skipp, if any?

Because I would argue we need a box-to-box CM upgrade, a number 10, a new striker, a centre back, and cover or competition in various other positions (such as right / left midfield, another centre back, left back), before I even started to consider Skipp. 

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not sure you can call it yellow tinted spectacles when he isn't even our player.

It appears that you're at odds with most on here who see him as possessing the raw talent and abilities to play at prem level. Judging by Mourinhos comments you're at odds with him too.

I'm interested how much your two spurs fans have seen him play. He's only started three times for Spurs after all and if they can come to a conclusion on a then 18/19 year old in that time they should be applying for the role of Head recruitment at spurs.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Considering Skipp plays the slightly more defensive role in our midfield 2, with Kenny/Rupp often breaking forward a lot, I would say he does a pretty fine job. In our side he is tasked with recycling possession for the most part, as well as cleaning up and making tackles defensively. However looking at this image, it appears that Skipp does pass the ball forward with regularity, as well as carrying it too. Maybe he could add more goals and assists, but considering he is often starting from very deep, that wouldn't be too easy.

image.thumb.png.8bc3273ab2901fef0c504424be9bb99e.png

Look at that graph with Rupp and Mclean up there at the top with forward passes. 

Contradicts alot of what their critics have said about them...

• Like 2

On 06/11/2020 at 08:55, Number9 said:

It happens quite often, let me put it in context. 

Emi will run with the ball and run into three defenders, lose the ball and sit on the ground demanding a free kick. His team mates all wondering why they bothered making their runs because he didn't pass to them. 

But, Emi many, many times will make a quick, first time pass which puts the advanced players through in a goal scoring chance. 

The stats will show that Emi didn't achieve 100% with his passes, while Rupp  much like McLean, will have perfect stats for passing 5 yards to the player next to him or passing it back to the defence. 

Stats are there to be interpreted but don't tell the full story. 

I'm not saying that he, or you, are bad people, but I'm not having Rupp as the world's best player like it seems fashionable to say on here at the moment. 

I don't let Archant's agenda dictate my thinking, look at it with open eyes, think about it and formulate your own opinion. 

Yet again, see the above graph. It turns out they pass forwards more than pretty much any other central midfielders in the league.. 

I'm equally unsure what Archant's 'agenda' is since they criticised Rupp last season. This season hes been much better and rightly been praised.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/02/2021 at 20:58, king canary said:

Nobody wanted Buendia either when we signed him. Obviously much too ****. 

I believe Leeds were after him but we got there first, so not exactly true KC.

2 hours ago, repman said:

Considering Skipp plays the slightly more defensive role in our midfield 2, with Kenny/Rupp often breaking forward a lot, I would say he does a pretty fine job. In our side he is tasked with recycling possession for the most part, as well as cleaning up and making tackles defensively. However looking at this image, it appears that Skipp does pass the ball forward with regularity, as well as carrying it too. Maybe he could add more goals and assists, but considering he is often starting from very deep, that wouldn't be too easy.

image.thumb.png.8bc3273ab2901fef0c504424be9bb99e.png

I see that O'Brien is at the top of that graph.

2 minutes ago, LaUnionCanary said:

I believe Leeds were after him but we got there first, so not exactly true KC.

Another championship club at the time you mean? He's clearly not good enough for the prem then!

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yet again, see the above graph. It turns out they pass forwards more than pretty much any other central midfielders in the league.. 

I'm equally unsure what Archant's 'agenda' is since they criticised Rupp last season. This season hes been much better and rightly been praised.

I'll take it as a compliment that you're hanging on my words.

Stats collected by a bot don't tell the full story. 

Your welcome. 

Edited by Number9

23 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I'll take it as a compliment that you're hanging on my words.

Stats collected by a bot don't tell the full story. 

Your welcome. 

You said they pass sideways and backwards.

They actually play more forward passes than 99% of the rest of midfielders in this league.

You don't need a full story to know that that makes you factually incorrect, and nothing to do with you looking past an 'Archant agenda'.

Unless you think every single stats agency also has an agenda in, uh, proving you wrong?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

I see that O'Brien is at the top of that graph.

No - O'Brien is towards the top of that graph on the axis which measures forward runs per 90 minutes. He is not near the top of that graph for forward passes per 90 minutes. 

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No - O'Brien is towards the top of that graph on the axis which measures forward runs per 90 minutes. He is not near the top of that graph for forward passes per 90 minutes. 

Of course it would be fair to say that him being so high up for that is impressive, and having someone who is more capable of dribbling with the ball when a side is sitting in blocking any passes through to attacking players.

Also it won't be lost on Webber and the recruitment team that Rupp and Mclean are both 30 and 29 respectively.

49 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Quite.

I see Rupp and McLean are right up there as well, but relatively modest in terms of forward runs, which quite surprises me from what I've seen of them.

O'Brien might be an option should we not get promoted and we can't get Skipp again, but we'll need (much) bigger and better in the Premier League.