Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Buendia & Argentina 🇦🇷

I'll admit that I am no expert on Argentina's current squad and systems but they must be pretty good if Emi hasn't had a call up yet.

Does anyone out there with knowlegde on our South American friends know why this could be and whether you think he could be close to being selected?

I would love to see him charging about in an Argie shirt!

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean yes he should play for them, but there happens be someone named Messi who plays in the same position who I think is more likely to be called up in his place

Couldn't hack it on a cold day against Stoke. 😉

• Haha 1

I think it’ll be a difficult for Emi to get called up at the moment as Argentina have lots of 1st tier players so I think he would probably need to be a first choice player in a Champions/Europa League side though. If we do manage to go back up this season, Emi stays, and by chance we managed to stay up next season I do believe he might stand a chance if he keeps his form up.

I love Emi, but he is a long way down the peaking order for Argentina, there is Di Maria, Messi, Lucas Ocampos (Seville), Angel Correa (Athletico Madrid), Paulo Dybala, and Eric Lamela (Spurs).  Those are just the ones with high profiles.  Emi needs to be playing in higher profile games to get a look in.  

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, CobblersCanary said:

I'd love to see him in an Argentinan shirt but I feel his temperament will be even more of an issue at international level. 

Erm... Have you not seen the Argentinian national sides of the past 60 years? I don’t think you could ever claim they weren’t fiery or passionate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

Might be like the England setup, a 2nd division player just won’t cut it .... however good he is inherently

I do not think if we were being honest he would not get an England cap at the moment, he would need to be better or offer something different to Sancho, Sterling, Hudson-Odoi, Mason Greenwood, Grealish, and Foden. 

Edited by Newtopia

They're an odd one as they have possibly the most stacked attacking options around but then some real randomers end up with caps.

I'd imagine Emi needs to be at least playing in the prem before he's even thought about. He'd be competing with the likes of De Paul and Pastore for a spot in the squad so hardly an easy task!

The clear first choices are the likes of Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Di Maria and Icardi who Emi is miles off in proven pedigree so far to be honest.

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

They're an odd one as they have possibly the most stacked attacking options around but then some real randomers end up with caps.

I'd imagine Emi needs to be at least playing in the prem before he's even thought about. He'd be competing with the likes of De Paul and Pastore for a spot in the squad so hardly an easy task!

The clear first choices are the likes of Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Di Maria and Icardi who Emi is miles off in proven pedigree so far to be honest.

Argentina have always had a bizarre scattergun approach to picking players. They seem to always select some of their top players, leave some out, select some randomers out of nowhere and then for the next squad they mix everything up again. Probably explains why they haven't won a trophy for 28 years, and are ten Copa Americas in a row without success.

Argentina always have lots of top class players in Emi's position though so it will be hard for him to get a look until he's playing for a bigger club. 

Check out his competition here, looking at current squad and recent call-ups:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina_national_football_team?wprov=sfla1

41 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Argentina have always had a bizarre scattergun approach to picking players. They seem to always select some of their top players, leave some out, select some randomers out of nowhere and then for the next squad they mix everything up again. Probably explains why they haven't won a trophy for 28 years, and are ten Copa Americas in a row without success.

Argentina always have lots of top class players in Emi's position though so it will be hard for him to get a look until he's playing for a bigger club. 

Check out his competition here, looking at current squad and recent call-ups:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina_national_football_team?wprov=sfla1

that lad at Brighton has had 2 caps I see... no reason to see why Buendia can't get in that squad then.

I did see some story suggesting we might try nick Emi Martinez to play for England! Probably not gonna happen but he'd be a great option on current form over Pickford

55 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

that lad at Brighton has had 2 caps I see... no reason to see why Buendia can't get in that squad then.

I did see some story suggesting we might try nick Emi Martinez to play for England! Probably not gonna happen but he'd be a great option on current form over Pickford

Even ignoring Mac Allister, you've got a dozen attacking players on those lists who are performing well in Europe's big five leagues. 

As for Martinez, I think the Home Nations have a gentleman's agreement which says we can't cap naturalised citizens.