Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Brentford decide to not take the knee

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

Which is exactly why we need to address the issues that make black lives objectively *less* valued because of systematic and insidious discrimination. That doesn't mean that white lives matter less; just that black lives need a bit more support right now to bring things towards equality. It's not complicated.

Trying to force something that sadly needs time to change. I'm sure in a 100 years time this will be less of a topic, but currently we're far too close to when racism was accepted. Society needs time to evolve.. forcing it is causing division and making vile racist groups more determined. 

Equally, I understand we can't do nothing. 

18 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Better that they turn their backsides to the camera and drop their shorts really ain't it? 

I think this is a retrograde step from Brentford and I call them out.  They are Trump-ist ideologists...

Had you been on the sauce when you wrote this? Would you say it to Brentford's players' faces?

12 hours ago, Herman said:

A lot of us don't feel preached at and there's a good reason for that. Just a thought. 

Probably a bit too subtle for him to understand Herman......................

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Trying to force something that sadly needs time to change. I'm sure in a 100 years time this will be less of a topic, but currently we're far too close to when racism was accepted. Society needs time to evolve.. forcing it is causing division and making vile racist groups more determined. 

Equally, I understand we can't do nothing. 

You've got this ar*e about face. The people causing division are the vile racist groups. It's literally their whole purpose in existing. Perhaps Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement shouldn't have stood up against racism and should have just 'let society evolve' instead? 

• Like 2

Skin color or ethnicity shouldn't be deciding factors. 

Just a small point, whichever color your skin and wherever your family originated from - if an armed police officer asks you to drop your weapon, just drop it.

18 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Skin color or ethnicity shouldn't be deciding factors. 

Just a small point, whichever color your skin and wherever your family originated from - if an armed police officer asks you to drop your weapon, just drop it.

You're right skin colour shouldn't be a deciding factor - perhaps you should tell that to the racist cops in America who go around shooting black people in the head and kneeling on their necks for 8 minutes and 46 seconds until they're dead. 

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You've got this ar*e about face. The people causing division are the vile racist groups. It's literally their whole purpose in existing. Perhaps Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement shouldn't have stood up against racism and should have just 'let society evolve' instead? 

Look, this is a highly sensitive subject, so I'll try to be careful! But there are schools of thought that suggest having racism constantly on the agenda does galvanise hatred within certain groups and movements. That's my point. I'm not suggesting we do nothing, but some things take time and require evolution. 

Are young children prejudice? Do they play happily together regardless of race? Do they even know racism is a thing until they're taught about it? Possibly yes, possibly no. But it is thought provoking. 

The black lives matter movement has caused divided opinion between football fans, politically and society in general. That's hard to deny. 

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I did not see the game, did Brentford do anything instead?

They did a short jazz dance in high heels and stockings, quite entertaining.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're right skin colour shouldn't be a deciding factor - perhaps you should tell that to the racist cops in America who go around shooting black people in the head and kneeling on their necks for 8 minutes and 46 seconds until they're dead. 

You're correct, everybody on the planet should share the same view regards skin color and ethnicity.

I struggle to understand why people feel differently. 

32 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Look, this is a highly sensitive subject, so I'll try to be careful! But there are schools of thought that suggest having racism constantly on the agenda does galvanise hatred within certain groups and movements. That's my point. I'm not suggesting we do nothing, but some things take time and require evolution. 

Are young children prejudice? Do they play happily together regardless of race? Do they even know racism is a thing until they're taught about it? Possibly yes, possibly no. But it is thought provoking. 

The black lives matter movement has caused divided opinion between football fans, politically and society in general. That's hard to deny. 

In many cases it's actually - Do they even know racism is a thing until they experience it?  Who do you think is offended by those that say 'black lives matter' and why do you think they're offended by it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Had you been on the sauce when you wrote this? Would you say it to Brentford's players' faces?

Didn't have to, their non-performance today says it all.  I think they'll be reinstating it next match.

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

In many cases it's actually - Do they even know racism is a thing until they experience it?  Who do you think is offended by those that say 'black lives matter' and why do you think they're offended by it? 

I dont think anyone is necessarily offended, but it's used as propaganda to fuel hate. 

Since this all started, has anything changed and was it ever likely to change anything?

Probably not, especially as there are now even more reports of footballers being racially abused on social media.

The truth is that those people who are of racist nature will not take any notice of a few privileged footballers bending their leg before a game of football and they might even be encouraged by it.

23 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Didn't have to, their non-performance today says it all.  I think they'll be reinstating it next match.

I'm not going to bite, because surely you are taking the p*ss here? Just to confirm, you are suggesting Brentford didn't play well today because they didn't take the knee?

IMHO people like yourself who cannot seem to handle a different opinion, and start implying that players/staff who have released a perfectly reasonable statement explaining why they no longer wish to participate in fact share the same views as the departed Donald Trump (and presumably therefore themselves racist by association) are actually helping to compound the very divides in society that they purport to be against.

Put it another way, do you really believe that the Brentford players' are "Trump-ist ideologist"s for deciding as a group that taking the knee is no longer a meaningful gesture, when many of them have likely experienced racist abuse in one form or another throughout their lives and careers? As you seem to know far more on the subject, I am sure their players would really appreciate you educating them so do let me know how you get on.

Edited by Ian

23 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

At last, a team with some balls.

We've had this nonsense before games for far too long, along with the obligatory, cringe-inducing shot of the players taking the knee before each games highlights on MOTD whilst the commentator preaches to us all.

100% agree Alex. Even worse than the knee gesture is the obligatory sermon from the commentator. With the apparent increase in the racist postings online in recent weeks, it's clear the knee gesture is well past it's sell by date. The authors of the racist abuse need to be identified and punished publicly. That would be a far more effective policy than 'the knee'. Hopefully NCFC will follow Brentford's lead.     

Taking the knee isn’t going to stop racism. Nothing in my opinion will ever stop racism.

But taking the knee is a gesture of support to people who have experienced racism. I hope that NCFC continues to make this gesture of support and if they decide to stop, I hope that they replace it with something else in the same vein.

And for people who are fed up with seeing and hearing the message before games-well I’m sure that others are fed up with seeing and hearing racist messages sent to them. Your feelings are immaterial compared to those of the people who have been subjected to abuse because of the colour of their skin. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

And for people who are fed up with seeing and hearing the message before games-well I’m sure that others are fed up with seeing and hearing racist messages sent to them. Your feelings are immaterial compared to those of the people who have been subjected to abuse because of the colour of their skin. 

You mean, like the Brentford players who have decided it's run its course?

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

You mean, like the Brentford players who have decided it's run its course?

They haven’t said they are fed up with hearing the message-they have said that they feel it no longer has an impact.

The amount of abuse online of a racial nature shows that it has to be highlighted and made social unacceptable. Taking of the "knee" is a sign that players don't find it acceptable. Not taking a "knee" doesn't mean players find it acceptable. I would support any means to help eradicate racism and racists from out sport. Think it now needs to be more than a gesture.... Harder fines, jail sentences, bans for life etc.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

They haven’t said they are fed up with hearing the message-they have said that they feel it no longer has an impact.

I'm not sure what sort of point you are trying to make? Have you seen evidence of people who are "fed up" with the gesture because they are against gestures of solidarity against racism, or don't believe it is a problem in the sport/society in general? I am sure there are a minority of racist scumbags who object to it on that basis, but I believe the vast majority of posts I have seen suggest that people who think it has run its course find it an example of empty "slacktivism" and media sensationalism, which really seems to be the crux of the Brentford statement.

For what it's worth, I am not against the gesture in any way, and I think it has certainly raised the profile of an issue that was always simmering under the surface for decades and has not been dealt with sufficiently, but equally I think people who can articulate why they don't agree with this gesture in isolation and for non-racist reasons should not be judged or shot down.

Surely, whatever your opinion, you have to admit that people who look at the Brentford statement and compare their players to Trumpists are probably part of the reason the issue can't be discussed and addressed with any sort of nuance?

16 hours ago, horsefly said:

I think Marcus Rashford and all the other black footballers would love to "get on with the football" too. Bit of a shame that they have to deal with vile racist attacks on a daily basis from people who have the audacity to describe themselves as football fans. Sorry you feel so "sickened" by MOTD commentators expressing support for their black colleagues.

Says the guy who slanders an Asian lady by calling her a racist on the Brexit thread.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I'm not sure what sort of point you are trying to make? Have you seen evidence of people who are "fed up" with the gesture because they are against gestures of solidarity against racism, or don't believe it is a problem in the sport/society in general? I am sure there are a minority of racist scumbags who object to it on that basis, but I believe the vast majority of posts I have seen suggest that people who think it has run its course find it an example of empty "slacktivism" and media sensationalism, which really seems to be the crux of the Brentford statement.

For what it's worth, I am not against the gesture in any way, and I think it has certainly raised the profile of an issue that was always simmering under the surface for decades and has not been dealt with sufficiently, but equally I think people who can articulate why they don't agree with this gesture in isolation and for non-racist reasons should not be judged or shot down.

Surely, whatever your opinion, you have to admit that people who look at the Brentford statement and compare their players to Trumpists are probably part of the reason the issue can't be discussed and addressed with any sort of nuance?

I agree but to be fair it's only one weirdo who's gone for that line of attack. All I've seen anyway, which for the pinkun is pretty good going.

Has @bringbackchippy posted on here yet? I can predict his post word by word..