Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Brentford decide to not take the knee

At last, a team with some balls.

We've had this nonsense before games for far too long, along with the obligatory, cringe-inducing shot of the players taking the knee before each games highlights on MOTD whilst the commentator preaches to us all.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Fair play to them.

It's become a token gesture and there will be other more constructive ways to fight racism. 

For the record I totally condemn the booing that happened a while back though - that's a totally different move

For me the 'taking the knee' is like the clapping for the NHS. The longer it goes on the more the impact is diminished. Set a date every month and do it then but it doesn't need to happen every game.

• Like 2

Good for them, empty gesture which isn't actually having an effect. Should never have linked itself with BLM which was always going to be an issue because of the far left political group. From the start should have been done via the Kick it Out campaign. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Good for them, empty gesture which isn't actually having an effect. Should never have linked itself with BLM which was always going to be an issue because of the far left political group. From the start should have been done via the Kick it Out campaign. 

I agree with this. I'm extremely sceptical of BLM. Kick it Out has been visible in and around professional football for a while now and could have been highlighted again here.

Respect to Brentford though. It was always going to take a brave team to stop.

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

At last, a team with some balls.

We've had this nonsense before games for far too long, along with the obligatory, cringe-inducing shot of the players taking the knee before each games highlights on MOTD whilst the commentator preaches to us all.

Wow - sounds like you've been well and truly triggered you poor little snowflake. 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Wow - sounds like you've been well and truly triggered you poor little snowflake. 

Sounds like typical bitterness from a do-gooder who gets off on this sort of virtue-signalling to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Sounds like typical bitterness from a do-gooder who gets off on this sort of virtue-signalling to me.

Pfftt........... you're not very good at this are you? 

Taking the knee, as indeed with any gesture that calls for solidity, triggers those who need to be triggered.

That said, I do agree that there are better ways of going about it and can accept the notion that it really is a form of slacktivism over genuine action, but Kick It Out has hardly been that effective, or we wouldn't have the problems on social media with idiots on foreign/black players we are right now.

Better that they turn their backsides to the camera and drop their shorts really ain't it? 

People keep upping their anti-woke agenda but it overlooks what the original intentions are which are perfectly valid.  

I think this is a retrograde step from Brentford and I call them out.  They are Trump-ist ideologists, and its a short step to suggesting that the current environment will generate the change that is necessary.   Sorry but more is required, whether taking the knee is that for one am not convinced but its continuance keeps the debate alive.

I think Brentford are a progressive club and I will be interested to know what they are going to do instead - hopefully something with more impact.  Difficult to see how they can use that exact bit of time better.  I suspect it will be a step back, as it erodes the clear message of unity against racism, but hopefully I am wrong.

I'm totally in support of their considered choice on the matter. There's no point in doing something just out of a weird sense of obligation. I'm also fully in support of any players who want to carry on taking the knee.

I'm absolutely not, however, accepting of people making angry, prejudiced and intolerant remarks about this. Let's keep reminding the racists that their disgusting views have no place in the world.

3 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

All lives matter

Which is exactly why we need to address the issues that make black lives objectively *less* valued because of systematic and insidious discrimination. That doesn't mean that white lives matter less; just that black lives need a bit more support right now to bring things towards equality. It's not complicated.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I agree with this. I'm extremely sceptical of BLM. Kick it Out has been visible in and around professional football for a while now and could have been highlighted again here.

Respect to Brentford though. It was always going to take a brave team to stop.

Millwall stopped weeks ago.

Good move by Brentford let’s get on with football

Sick of being preached by commentators on MOTD  

As was shown during the superbowl when all the players stood during the national anthem, there's no need to take the knee anymore. Donald has gone and Joe has solved racism in just one month.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Better that they turn their backsides to the camera and drop their shorts really ain't it? 

People keep upping their anti-woke agenda but it overlooks what the original intentions are which are perfectly valid.  

I think this is a retrograde step from Brentford and I call them out.  They are Trump-ist ideologists, and its a short step to suggesting that the current environment will generate the change that is necessary.   Sorry but more is required, whether taking the knee is that for one am not convinced but its continuance keeps the debate alive.

What a sensationalist view. Not surprised by the left at all.

3 hours ago, daly said:

I think Marcus Rashford and all the other black footballers would love to "get on with the football" too. Bit of a shame that they have to deal with vile racist attacks on a daily basis from people who have the audacity to describe themselves as football fans. Sorry you feel so "sickened" by MOTD commentators expressing support for their black colleagues.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, daly said:

A lot of us don't feel preached at and there's a good reason for that. Just a thought. 

• Like 2