Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Why we need McLean.

To the so called fans that think McLean is poor, the reason he plays is because as a central midfielder he is the only one that drives us on. Yes I know he made a mistake today but our other midfield options are defensive apart from Vrancic who seems to be doing okay at the moment as a number ten. McLean offers a defensive side to his game as well as an attacking threat who carries the ball forward in a positive way. I just don`t understand why we have so many negative comments about our players, we sit top, albeit for 24hrs or so till Brentford play, but for me we have had a great season so far so lets enjoy where we are and get behind the boys, all of them.

We just need him to keep the game interesting, who needs to have a comfort 2-0 lead when it’s more exciting to try and make it 2-1 😂👍

Decent enough players I’d rather see him further forward at number 10.

I'm not his biggest fan, but before getting injured he was playing with a swagger and was winning me over, he's just not been on it since returning, but i think results like today will bring back the confidence

You're generally going to find more negative comments on internet forums than positive. People who are happy with the team don't feel the need to express their satisfaction. People who like to complain, however, absolutely feel the need to find somewhere to express their dissatisfaction.

As you say, Norwich are having a fantastic season all things considered, despite a recent poor run of form. Take the negative comments with a pinch of salt and enjoy it!

I know he wasn’t on for long and I know he’s thought of as a more defensive player but I really liked the look of Sorensen when he came on today in midfield - he just seems to ooze class to me... very cool, very composed.......

• Like 2

A genuine all rounder (and a bloody good one) which means that people without a football brain will never see why he's valuable.

He doesn't play so many games for Farke and get capped by his country so frequently for no reason.

• Like 8

He does alot for the team. Some on here are blind to that and even ignore when he scores and assists and try to find an excuse why it doesn't count because its Mclean. Some people just need to have one 

• Like 2

I will admit earlier this year he played at a very good level. He has recently had some shocking moments and I mean shocking.

Since he joined he struggled to get in the team, he then joined during the run in to our championship win and he was probably our most unimpressive midfielder at that point. That is because the midfield had been so good that year, he came in and did a job but we felt there were players who should have been back with McLean making way.

As NCFC fans we have seen us go to the premier league and not purchase the right midfielder in many years. That defensive commander who had an engine and voice. It was the position where McLean was playing.

If we go up we know we need that player still, that is another story. Can mclean play alongside that player? Well he needs to prove it, I do think we have rupp, lungi and who knows if we go up.

I feel that he is a jack of all trades and that is not the player that I think is ideal if we go up to be a starter. If we stay down he and lungi are a great midfield but will he take us to the next level I think not.

So a good squad player if we go up, but he needs to stop making mistakes and learn better positioning from skipp for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smooth said:

I will admit earlier this year he played at a very good level. He has recently had some shocking moments and I mean shocking.

Since he joined he struggled to get in the team, he then joined during the run in to our championship win and he was probably our most unimpressive midfielder at that point. That is because the midfield had been so good that year, he came in and did a job but we felt there were players who should have been back with McLean making way.

As NCFC fans we have seen us go to the premier league and not purchase the right midfielder in many years. That defensive commander who had an engine and voice. It was the position where McLean was playing.

If we go up we know we need that player still, that is another story. Can mclean play alongside that player? Well he needs to prove it, I do think we have rupp, lungi and who knows if we go up.

I feel that he is a jack of all trades and that is not the player that I think is ideal if we go up to be a starter. If we stay down he and lungi are a great midfield but will he take us to the next level I think not.

So a good squad player if we go up, but he needs to stop making mistakes and learn better positioning from skipp for the rest of the season.

Your in for it now slagging off Kenny on here. 

I like him, and I think he and Skipp complement each other very well.

But I think "that" pass was one of the worst I have ever seen a professional footballer make. Would love to know what went through his head.

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

But I think "that" pass was one of the worst I have ever seen a professional footballer make. Would love to know what went through his head.

The worst since the previous game?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

The worst since the previous game?

It was on another level to that.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, smooth said:

Thats not quite fair because he has a very different role to play to skipp. He has to run with the ball and support the attack. He also covers the fullbacks and has much more of a box to box role than Skipp does.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Thats not quite fair because he has a very different role to play to skipp. He has to run with the ball and support the attack. He also covers the fullbacks and has much more of a box to box role than Skipp does.

Hogesar, I see your point. However I would say any player can learn from others.

McLean is often tailing players and gets out of position so I hope he learns from Skipp.

I know he will learn from a few of his very misplaced passes. He has shown he has raised his game a bit this season. Just want him to improve to not be a jack of all trades so he can stamp a position for next year. We will see.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Tottenham can have Kenny on loan next season and we keep Skipp. Everyone’s a winner. 

It's all about jigsaws really.  In another team and system Kenny would slot in and wow, we'd be brilliant.  But the current  team, he just doesn't fit in.  Sorry, but it's as simple as that.  If we had that player, then this team would take off.  I hope we find him, I'm just disappointed that Kenny is not that player.

Kenny has some great attributes, and certainly brings something to the midfield that no one else in the squad seems to have. I thought he did an excellent job of linking defence and attack today, on the whole... 

However, I kept saying that he's a liability. Now I'm not sure how much money you'd have to pay for someone with his good points but with slightly better ball control, passing and judgment, but I'd guess somewhere over £15M.

McLean is not quite the real deal, in my opinion. He will definitely continue to improve, but I'm not sure he's quite got the discipline or consistency to be reliable enough in that position. It's one thing to give the ball away attempting a forward pass but, if you're passing sideways or backwards then you need to be certain that the ball finds a teammate.

Not that I think anyone else in the squad would necessarily do any better in that role. Vrancic is too immobile to provide the required cover. Rupp lacks a cutting edge (although he was growing into the role before he got injured) and Sorensen simply hasn't had a chance to show us his midfield skills.

In contrast, Skipp was on another level today and demonstrated why he's unlikely to be playing in the Championship after this season. He held the whole team together and showed incredible awareness.

Edited by Petriix
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Kenny has some great attributes, and certainly brings something to the midfield that no one else in the squad see to have. I thought he did an excellent job of linking defence and attack today, on the whole... 

However, I kept saying that he's a liability. Now I'm not sure how much money you'd have to pay for someone with his good points but with slightly better ball control, pass and judgment, but I'd guess somewhere over £15M.

McLean is not quite the real deal, in my opinion. He will definitely continue to improve, but I'm not sure he's quite got the discipline or consistency to be reliable enough in that position. It's one thing to give the ball away attempting a forward pass but, if you're passing sideways or backwards then you need to be certain that the ball finds a teammate.

Not that I think anyone else in the squad would necessarily do any better in that role. Vrancic is too immobile to provide the required cover. Rupp lacks a cutting edge (although he was growing into the role before he got injured) and Sorensen simply hasn't had a chance to show us his midfield skills.

In contrast, Skipp was on another level today and demonstrated why he's unlikely to be playing in the Championship after this season. He held the whole team together and showed incredible awareness.

You have said said it so much better than me, but confirms my view.  The Mayor, as a focus, is great, but you have to do it consistently and Kenny doesn't. Simple as.

Good at Championship level but we will need significantly better if we go up.

I just don't get how he can be so good in a match but then the next moment be so bad. Two weeks running facing his own goal he has passed directly to the opposition. It's though he's colour blind!

No more Kenny, please!

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Tottenham can have Kenny on loan next season and we keep Skipp. Everyone’s a winner. 

Not sure Spurs would agree. 

Thats before understanding that they're completely different players.

You lot know that I personally don't rate McLean, haven't done since I've seen him playing for us.

Many of you frowned at me and told me how many stats he racked up in the previous game etc.

I wouldn't have a knee jerk reaction after two misplaced passes, it doesn't really make him a better or worse player than he was.

Unfortunately he ain't never going to be a world beater, it's probably not fair to lambast him for not being Messi.

9 hours ago, Ian said:

Van Wolfswinkel got mullered for the so called "ghost"pass. I like McClean, but if that had cost us the game I wonder what social media would have put him thru!!

Wow - it is utterly bemusing how some people can watch a game/a player and come to such a wrong conclusion.  I always mention Mike Phelan in these circumstances - underrated by many supporters because they couldn’t see the work he was doing, but Ken Brown reckoned he was great, Alex Ferguson bought him and he played for England.  McLean seems to be the same sort of player, a lot of his work goes unnoticed and some supporters just don’t ‘get’ it.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

All I can say is that to me we look a better team when he plays. I have my doubts that he would cut it if we go up again but the management team know better than me. 

Always has a mistake in him but hard working with the occasional good game. A classic mid Championship level player.

• Like 1

Kenny fuçked up big style yesterday with his pass but I think him and Skipp are by far our best central pairing.  

For me Rupp is not Championship level. Offers very little and you’re not going to put Sorensen in ahead of Skipp.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow - it is utterly bemusing how some people can watch a game/a player and come to such a wrong conclusion.  I always mention Mike Phelan in these circumstances - underrated by many supporters because they couldn’t see the work he was doing, but Ken Brown reckoned he was great, Alex Ferguson bought him and he played for England.  McLean seems to be the same sort of player, a lot of his work goes unnoticed and some supporters just don’t ‘get’ it.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that he ain't going to be playing for Man Utd and wouldn't ever be good enough to play for England (if he was English)

He's just not very good.