Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Time to draw a line under 2005/6 and look forward to next season

As a committed "Worthy out" campaigner, and disappointing though it is, I''m afraid I must now concede defeat to the KTF brigade.

I have studied all the facts, read all the comments and reports so regrettably I can only draw the following conclusions -

Fact 1 - our season is over, the play offs are no longer possible without several miracles, so we''re only playing for mid table "respectability" and pride.

Fact 2 - Worthy ain''t gonna get sacked, or resign - I''m now 100% sure of it - neither before the season ends or after the season ends, wherever we finish.

Fact 3 - Give or take one or two transfers out, and a couple of new faces coming in, we are going to have more or less the same squad next season as we''ve got now, who, with one or two obvious exceptions, or the appropriate coaching, should be good enough to win this League.

Based on this situation, I would like to suggest that the Club start to plan for next season now and set targets to prevent another catastrophe like we''ve had to endure this season. These should be may clear to the Manager, the coaching staff, the players and the fans, so that everyone knows what the stakes are, what the position is and where they stand. 

Even at just the slightest inkling of things not working out at any stage of the season, the Board cannot afford to dither like they have this year.

Failure to achieve any of the targets set and Worthy, plus his coaching staff, must go immediately before another season is wasted - no more excuses, no more what if''s, no more may have been''s, no more hoping things will get better, no more bull sh*t.

Players not performing to full potential should be dropped and outed at the earliest opportunity if they don''t pull their weight - no more hangers on.

Let''s have the talking on the pitch during the games next season rather off the pitch after the game as we''ve had this year.

My targets would be -

After 5 league games - vital to get off to a good start so must have an absolute minimum of 3 wins and no more than 3 goals conceded.

After 10 league games - minimum of being in the top 4 and/or no more than 6 points off the top.

After 15 league games - minimum of being in the top 3 and/or no more than 4 points off the top.

After 20 league games - minimum of being in top two with a healthy, positive goal difference.

At Christmas - no room for a let up - must still be in top two.

Christmas to End of Season - must remain in the top 2 - zero tolerance at even the slightest hint of a prolonged blip.

Cups - we''ve waited 20 odd years for a bit of Cup success so another year in the doldrums wouldn''t matter. Would be nice to make at least round 4 of the FA Cup though, but if we''re doing well in the league, Cup failure wouldn''t be a sackable offence.

End of Season - must achieve one of the 2 automatic promotion places. The "risk" of not winning the play offs lottery is unacceptable.

We can doubtless argue about the targets but IMO it''s the principle that should be adopted. This way there can be no doubt as to what''s expected and, more importantly, what the penalties are for failure.

Let''s draw a line under 2005/6 but let''s get the pressure on from the word go in 2006/7 !

I''m sure that''s the target for every season, just rather different getting on the pitch and doing it, especially under this manager.

I am not sure I agree with every point in  in fact 3, especially that we shall have a squad good enough to win the Championship. The jury seems to be out on this one, at the very least.We have a few good players who clearly are not playing to their full potential, or have lost their edge - Hux, Drury, Green? We have several players who have yet to show that they have it, - mostly players signed last summer and since. If Worthington or his successor could motivate the team, give them confidence, employ apprpriate tactics, and make one or two astute signings, then a play-off place might be possible. There are too many good teams with good managers who will miss out this year and who still be around next year.Realistically, the midfield in particular would have to play a good deal better and the defence be much tighter, if we are to win a play-off place. We can always hope, but my guess is that a top-two placing is too much for us, given the players, management and lack of money.

I just don`t agree, lets get a new manager in NOW so he can see what needs fixing.

He would need time for transfer dealings in the summer.

I just don`t agree with anyone who say the board won`t sack worthy.

If 15,000 + Shout "Worthy OUT" they will be forced to act (or he will resign)

Its that simple.

What is annoying is reading in the pinkun that we played well against Hull.

The guy has lost the plot and is deluded. GO NOW.

Worthy OUT.

"Time to draw a line under 2005/6 and look forward to next season"

Not if you believe Cap''n Flem, it isn''t (today''s Pink''Un).... !!

[8o|]   Do they think we zip up the back, or something?  [8o|]  

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I just don`t agree, lets get a new manager in NOW so he can see what needs fixing.

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more - in an ideal World that''s what I would prefer. Trouble is, it ain''t gonna happen.

[quote user="Oso Butch"]

"Time to draw a line under 2005/6 and look forward to next season"

Not if you believe Cap''n Flem, it isn''t (today''s Pink''Un).... !!

[8o|]   Do they think we zip up the back, or something?  [8o|]  

[/quote]

I don''t believe him. And what''s more if the truth be known, he probably doesn''t believe it himself.

Whilst I can''t believe we''ll be sucked into the relegation dogfight our current form makes it very difficult to draw a line under this season, we need to scrape enough points to stay up first.

On any measure the existing managment have failed. Pre-season favorites to lower mid table sloggers. Anything less than the playoffs is unacceptable.

Yet again, as I discussed a few weeks ago and Saint Canary has eloquently commented on today, the club have failed to recognise weaknesses and act at the appropriate time with cash to strengthen preseason or with making chanegs at the top. Mid Feb and we''re faced with the decision do we stick it out until the end of the season or do we chop our long worthy position?

3 points tonight is crucial to stop the slide.