Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Looks Like The SCG Is Making A Comeback.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021/february/fan-consultation-event/

Looks like the old Supporters Consultative Group ( SCG ) is making a comeback which was binned by David McNally back in 2009.

Rebranded as Official Supporters Panel, A Recognised Fan Consultation Board so it says on the tin.

Can only be a good thing as long as the selection for those to sit on it is a democratic process with a shelf life for those on it.

Edited by TIL 1010

I think it's a good thing tbh, looks like the club are trying hard to engage with a bigger group of fans on a more regular basis. 

Hopefully it  will include a wide selection of fans from different stands, different age ranges, plus a representative from all the fans groups.

Looking forward to the meeting on the 25th to find out more, don't forget to register to book your place, its being held online

5 minutes ago, Diane said:

Hopefully it  will include a wide selection of fans from different stands, different age ranges, plus a representative from all the fans groups.

That surely would make it rather a big gathering and as with any Committee or Board there are talkers and do'ers and far more would be achieved if it was kept down to 12 or 15 maximum.

I thought fans groups already met with the club on a regular basis anyway ?

Edited by TIL 1010

A big issue the Club faces is an ageing fan base. Most of us that have been going for years have watched those around us in the seats get older. 
The club needs to encourage younger fans in. 
Get more under 30’s involved . Not old gits like me. 

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

That surely would make it rather a big gathering and as with any Committee or Board there are talkers and do'ers and far more would be achieved if it was kept down to 12 or 15 maximum.

I thought fans groups already met with the club on a regular basis anyway ?

As the old saying goes: "The most effective committee is a committee of one" 😉 

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

A big issue the Club faces is an ageing fan base. Most of us that have been going for years have watched those around us in the seats get older. 
The club needs to encourage younger fans in. 
Get more under 30’s involved . Not old gits like me. 

Can only be addressed by more capacity at some point. You can’t make fans from people who can never see the games. If they can’t get in the stadium no reason for younger generation to choose NCFC over Man City, Liverpool or whoever else is flavour of the month. 

Stadium expansion is an emotive subject but if we have sold out for years, no reason to expect when things return to relative normality that won’t continue. We can have success without fans, but can’t grow the fanbase significantly without seats.

8 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Can only be addressed by more capacity at some point. You can’t make fans from people who can never see the games. If they can’t get in the stadium no reason for younger generation to choose NCFC over Man City, Liverpool or whoever else is flavour of the month. 

Stadium expansion is an emotive subject but if we have sold out for years, no reason to expect when things return to relative normality that won’t continue. We can have success without fans, but can’t grow the fanbase significantly without seats.

You're obviously right but the cost doesn't justify the risk when up to 90% of revenue comes from TV. Unless we accept that if we sell a player for £30m we use the money to build a new stand. 

Personally I'd like to see that done, along with safe standing in the Barclay and River Ends

Don’t disagree with the idea, it’s certainly good to have involvement from supporters, but how do you decide on a representative group of supporters?  I’m not sure this is one for a ‘democratic’ process as such as that would often just end up being the same people involved all the time.

Edited by Branston Pickle

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Don’t disagree with the idea, it’s certainly good to have involvement from supporters, but how do you decide on a representative group of supporters?  I’m not sure this is one for a ‘democratic’ process as such as that would often just end up being the same people involved all the time.

Agree with this, how would the decision be made on 12-15 people ? Having a vote would just result in the people with the most mates getting in 

Am I the only person who saw this thread and wondered what the Sydney Cricket Ground had to do with NCFC? 🙂

In earnest, though, sounds like a positive move - although as Tilly says, the bigger the committee, the lower the potential for consensus. In times like these, though, any initiative that helps bring the fans closer to the club during this enforced sabbatical has to be a good thing. I look forward to getting involved!

In my experience the people who moan about things online / to their mates etc aren't those who are prepared to attend a meeting to discuss the situation and put their opinion forward for debate. 

Not sure why that would be. 

Just my observation. 

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

In my experience the people who moan about things online / to their mates etc aren't those who are prepared to attend a meeting to discuss the situation and put their opinion forward for debate. 

Not sure why that would be. 

Just my observation. 

Its the easiest thing in the world to sit/stand around being critical, used to see it all the time in youth football. Quickest way to hush the critics was to offer them a chance to turn out in all weathers, get involved and see their 'input' followed through......never failed.😇😉👍

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like the old Supporters Consultative Group ( SCG ) is making a comeback which was binned by David McNally back in 2009.

Rebranded as Official Supporters Panel, A Recognised Fan Consultation Board so it says on the tin.

Can only be a good thing as long as the selection for those to sit on it is a democratic process with a shelf life for those on it.

Oh! A whole new opportunity for whining.......

8 minutes ago, DAVID SEWELL said:

Oh! A whole new opportunity for whining.......

Very insightful and informative on an initiative coming from the club .

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Agree with this, how would the decision be made on 12-15 people ? Having a vote would just result in the people with the most mates getting in 

Is it going to be made up of people selected by the club ?

Could it be that those putting their name forward are then the subject of an online election ?

Will it be selections from existing fans groups ? My view on that is that several of these groups are as you say FF mates who have no mandate from any sections of our fanbase. Anybody no matter how few in number could meet in a pub and call themselves for example The Rose & Crown Little Wapping Canaries and get involved with consultations at the club. No Constitution, no Officers and no accountability for their finances and more importantly no membership.

It will be interesting to see what the club propose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It says its an open forum where any fan can take part, that isn't really like the old SCG which was a selected group.

The link you've posted doesn't mention 'Rebranded as Official Supporters Panel, A Recognised Fan Consultation Board ', is this some insider knowledge?

Doesn't appear to be any selection, certainly at this stage. I applied and got a teams link / invite by return. 

What annoys me is people moaning saying the club don't engage and when they do they can't be arsed to accept the offer. At least attend and see what they have to say. I've always found these type of things to be very insightful. I don't always agree with their point of view but I have a chance to discuss and raise my view. 

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It says its an open forum where any fan can take part, that isn't really like the old SCG which was a selected group.

The link you've posted doesn't mention 'Rebranded as Official Supporters Panel, A Recognised Fan Consultation Board ', is this some insider knowledge?

Therefore, the open fan consultation will include an update on recent government and DCMS announcements and will outline the initial process behind the introduction of an official supporters panel, a recognised fan consultation board.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Therefore, the open fan consultation will include an update on recent government and DCMS announcements and will outline the initial process behind the introduction of an official supporters panel, a recognised fan consultation board.

OK, thanks. 

The capitalisation was from you.

11 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Agree that we need to increase the capacity (and the number of casual tickets available), but those old fans do die off at some stage and probably in increased numbers of the past year! 

Anything that widens the supporters consultative process should surely be a positive and, as @Diane  alluded to above, is likely to include both established supporters groups, and, just as importantly, a broader section of the fan base, who may not necessarily currently associate themselves with any specific existing group.

Will be interesting to see how many people will want to be involved and I’d expect some form of fan voting for the proposed members.

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Thought you were talking about the Sydney Cricket Ground and I was unaware that it had ever been away.

30 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

OK, thanks. 

The capitalisation was from you.

Copy and paste job Squit from within that link i posted.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Who’s going to sent from here to be the voice of reason? 

Surely you'd need a pant wetter and a happy clapper for balance. 

Maybe a miserablist too. 

Wonder if other forums could spare one of their number...... 

14 minutes ago, GMF said:

Anything that widens the supporters consultative process should surely be a positive and, as @Diane  alluded to above, is likely to include both established supporters groups, and, just as importantly, a broader section of the fan base, who may not necessarily currently associate themselves with any specific existing group.

Will be interesting to see how many people will want to be involved and I’d expect some form of fan voting for the proposed members.

I don’t disagree - but how, though?  The problem with something like is that those who are involved in things already will generally be those that get on any ‘consultative grpup’; it needs more from outside the usual sphere and how you get those people involved/interested is difficult (eg younger folk, ethnic minority groups etc) - though I suppose it does also depend what it is that the group is being consulted on.

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Copy and paste job Squit from within that link i posted.

The bit that was confusing was that you decided the description,

was the name,

Rebranded as Official Supporters Panel, A Recognised Fan Consultation Board 

😀