Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Which past NCFC players would fit into Farke's team now

OK just to make things a little bit more interesting let's assume that Farke's matchday squad is as follows:

Krul

Aarons

Hanley

Gibson

Giannoulis

Rupp

Skipp

Buendia

Cantwell

McClean

Pukki

Subs: McGovern, Mumba, Quintilla, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Steipperman, Placheta, Hernandez, Hugill

Who would you swap for whom?

29 minutes ago, horsefly said:

OK just to make things a little bit more interesting let's assume that Farke's matchday squad is as follows:

Krul = Arguably better than any keeper I can really remember, must be at least par with prime-time Greeno and Ruddy but definitely better with his feet than both of those.

Aarons = Best RB I've seen for us in a long time, prime time Russ Martin was good as was Edworthy but not as good as Aarons consistently is.

Hanley = Solid, wouldn't change

Gibson = Solid, wouldn't change - players like Malky and Fleming, and Nelson just can't play out from the back like these new defenders can.

Giannoulis = Drury perhaps, I think we do miss Jamal at times because he was a good talent but will be interesting to see what Dimi can offer, can't judge him over the past few games going into a squad that hasn't really performed great. Thinking back over the years there's a number that could have been considered in their time, Olsson, Bertrand, Gibbs

Rupp = Howson, Fox, Surman

Skipp = Gary Holt, Crofts, BJ, Damien Francis

Buendia = Buendia is the only player along with Krul I'd probably say is irreplaceable, best technically player I've ever seen in a City shirt by a long shot.

Cantwell = Huckerby and a mention for Pilkington who didn't do badly down that left side in his time here and I could see working in this setup.

McClean = Hoolahan or Maddison every day of the week.

Pukki = Holt, both GOATS!

Subs: McGovern, Mumba, Quintilla, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Steipperman, Placheta, Hernandez, Hugill

Who would you swap for whom?

Krul - Keep

Aarons - Keep

Hanley - Watson

Gibson - Malkey

Giannoulis - Drury

Rupp - Howson 

Skipp - Surman

Buendia - Keep

Cantwell - Huckerby

McClean - Wes

Pukki - Sutton

Maddison at 10, obviously... although he's already played for Farke.

I'd probably go something like:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Godfrey Bowen
Crook Skipp
Buendia Maddison Hoolahan
Pukki

Subs: A Gunn, Gibson, Culverhouse, Tettey, McLean, Howson, Huckerby, Eadie, Holt.

Just imagine bringing those last three on against tiring legs! 😄

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you quite young AJ? 

Eadie, Crook, Fox, Bowen etc? 

Bowen would walk in at left back. 

Started watching Norwich in the mid 90s when we were stuck in Division One having been relegated a season or so before, think my first game was in 96 so don't have much recollection of the early 90s squad. 

Eadie, Bellamy, Crook and Fleck were still there then I believe, I remember watching both Eadie and Bellamy but wouldn't say either were necessarily better than Huckerby/Pukki/Holt and certainly didn't have great injury records during their time here. There's no doubt Bellamy had bags of talent and his 32 goals in 84 games or whatever it was for us is impressive given he played a reasonable wedge of that at CM until moved into attack.

I can't comment personally so much on Crook, Fox and Bowen as I didn't get to see them enough

I'd have liked to see Mitchell Dijks get another crack at left-back as he'd also have given us considerable physical heft. Bellamy in the hole would have been well worth a look and Huckerby has to be in there somewhere.

Could even put Crook in as a deep-lying playmaker as a replacement for Vrancic and Fox out on the right wing as a bench option.

Agree that Krul and Buendia are probably the arch prototypes of how Farke sees the game to be played.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Some short memories here. Our team once bossed the premiership until Xmas and finished third- today’s team couldn’t do that! 

GK: B Gunn 

RB: Bowen 

CB: Bruce 

CB: Malky

LB: Drury

CDM: Skipp 

CM: Chippy

CAM: Maddison 

LW: Huckerby 

RW: Buendia 

FW: Sutton 

subs: Krul, Aaron’s, Fleck, Bellamy, Wes, 

55 minutes ago, AJ said:

There's no doubt Bellamy had bags of talent and his 32 goals in 84 games or whatever it was for us is impressive given he played a reasonable wedge of that at CM until moved into attack.

And considering it was achieved between the age of 17 and 20. 

Its 1 in 22 for nineteen year old Idah, for perspective. 

He was a precocious talent, this diminutive spotty little kid who just burst onto the scene terrorising defenders and slotting in goals from all sorts of impossible angles. 

There's a reason why he had two spells at Liverpool. 

Shame that Eadie's legacy is being diminished somewhat, he was the left winger England desperately needed and would have had if it weren't for terrible luck with injuries (not just the seriousness of those injuries, the timing was also appalling, think it was two or possibly even three times that he got called up by England and had to pull out of the squad). Real edge of your seat player, still haven't seen a player as quick as him when travelling with the ball (not even Huckerby). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Ian Crook, Phil Boyer, Ted McDougall, Wes Hoolahan,Trevor Hockey, Bill Punton, Darren Huckerby, Tommy Bryceland, Alan Black, Gerry Howshall

• Like 1

It is an interesting question, I am not sure our favourite players would work well in Farkes system.  For example the full backs need to more like old fashioned wingers, the centre halves need to be good in the area, fast, and able to distribute effectively, the CDMs need to work hard, be great tacklers, and be good with their feet, whilst we can simply select the best attacking options.

GK: Krul

RB: Aarons

CB: Godfrey

CB: Bassong

LB: Bertrand

CDM: Townsend

RW: Fox

FW: Fleck

subs: A Gunn, Sutton, Howson, Bellamy, Wes

A fully fit Dean Ashton would be first choice striker for any Norwich team IMO, and would bring the guile / finesse needed for a Farke team, with enhanced physicality.

Sutton runs him a close second (although there's no argument that Sutton achieved much more), and in the days of playing two up top a Sutton / Pukki, or Ashton / Pukki front two would have been LETHAL.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Some short memories here. Our team once bossed the premiership until Xmas and finished third- today’s team couldn’t do that! 

GK: B Gunn 

RB: Bowen 

CB: Bruce 

CB: Malky

LB: Drury

CM: Chippy

RW: Buendia 

FW: Sutton 

subs: Krul, Aaron’s, Fleck, Bellamy, Wes, 

Yeah weird to think people are too young to remember us beating Bayern Munich in Europe. 

Maybe im just getting old. 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And considering it was achieved between the age of 17 and 20. 

Its 1 in 22 for nineteen year old Idah, for perspective. 

He was a precocious talent, this diminutive spotty little kid who just burst onto the scene terrorising defenders and slotting in goals from all sorts of impossible angles. 

There's a reason why he had two spells at Liverpool. 

Shame that Eadie's legacy is being diminished somewhat, he was the left winger England desperately needed and would have had if it weren't for terrible luck with injuries (not just the seriousness of those injuries, the timing was also appalling, think it was two or possibly even three times that he got called up by England and had to pull out of the squad). Real edge of your seat player, still haven't seen a player as quick as him when travelling with the ball (not even Huckerby). 

Eadie was my favorite player  to watch growing up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haus said:

Yeah weird to think people are too young to remember us beating Bayern Munich in Europe. 

Maybe im just getting old. 

Hi Haus, I remember beating Bayern with fondness - it was a great time, that team played in a completely different way to Farke’s team.  As a result most of those players would not get near Farkes side, Goss, Bowen, Prior, Newman, Robins, and Crooky are all great players in our history, I don’t think Webber and Farke would bring them in.  Crooky is my favourite ever player, but I do not think he would not suit our current midfield structure.  OTBC

25 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Hi Haus, I remember beating Bayern with fondness - it was a great time, that team played in a completely different way to Farke’s team.  As a result most of those players would not get near Farkes side, Goss, Bowen, Prior, Newman, Robins, and Crooky are all great players in our history, I don’t think Webber and Farke would bring them in.  Crooky is my favourite ever player, but I do not think he would not suit our current midfield structure.  OTBC

I agree about Crook - despite being great in his time for us - not fitting the modern game particularly well, Goss, ignoring the odd screamer was average but I absolutely disagree about Bowen. He would be a shoe in for left back in this team and would fit like a dream and played like a winger anyway!

Back to the question, to avoid this turning into my version of our best 11 - as I would replace them in that case - I've limited myself to picking two (it was originally one but I want them both). Mark Bown and James Maddision. Bowen was - by far - our best left back and would love the freedom to attack that Farke gives his full backs. At the minute, our weakest position is No 10 and the best natural 10 who will also score goals is Maddison (sorry Wesley).

• Like 1