Midlands Yellow

Most passionate fans you’ve encountered

On 11/02/2021 at 22:10, kick it off said:

Fenerbahce fans are mental.

Went to a pre-season at Bramall Lane a good few years back. I've followed them vaguely as my Turkish team since I lived there. They brought 2000 fans, flares, and a hell of an atmosphere. They set the stand on fire with a flare at one point. It was utter chaos. For a pre-season, against 3rd tier (at the time) opposition. Never seen anything like it, and it was a pointless pre-season against no mark opposition, 3500 miles away from Istanbul.... Incredible to be a part of. On my list to get out to the şükrü saraçoğlu when we are able to travel again. Only seen it from the outside so far. I was somewhere behind the flares 👇

Image result for fenerbahce at bramall lane

Friends of ours lived close to the Fenerbahce ground for a couple of years and said that the atmosphere in the ground was unlike anything they had ever experienced-apparently most of the supporters spend hours drinking before the game! Unfortunately this does result in occasional unruly behaviour-both times we went out to visit them, we were unable to go to a game as fans had been temporarily banned because of crowd trouble.

I've seen Inter in the San Siro, that was pretty full-on. Their ultras went straight into the stands two hours before kick-off and went mental for the whole duration. Guys with megaphones, marine flares and fireworks, the whole shebang. There was netting up to stop them getting on the pitch, and whenever something important happened a bunch of them would run forward and start scaling the netting and shaking it... just nuts.

Then, after the match (Inter had lost), I saw the most Italian thing imaginable: two blokes on scooters shouting and gesticulating at each other, then getting off their scooters to have a scrap.

Edited by Feedthewolf

31 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I've seen Inter in the San Siro, that was pretty full-on. Their ultras went straight into the stands two hours before kick-off and went mental for the whole duration. Guys with megaphones, marine flares and fireworks, the whole shebang. There was netting up to stop them getting on the pitch, and whenever something important happened a bunch of them would run forward and start scaling the netting and shaking it... just nuts.

Then, after the match (Inter had lost), I saw the most Italian thing imaginable: two blokes on scooters shouting and gesticulating at each other, then getting off their scooters to have a scrap.

Little plastic coffee bottles everywhere too? I saw Roma play at the Olimpico the last time they won the title. They double sold hundreds of seats so we just near the exits with many others. Great noise and flare displays when the goals went in. 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Polish fans aren’t shy with statements. 

I stood with 18,000 Poles at Wembley. A policeman told me it was the first time he had ever heard a football crowd growl😂

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Little plastic coffee bottles everywhere too? I saw Roma play at the Olimpico the last time they won the title. They double sold hundreds of seats so we just near the exits with many others. Great noise and flare displays when the goals went in. 

I don't remember that so much, but this was about 20 years ago now. Inter went 1-0 up in the first minute (Vieri), before going on to lose 2-1.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't remember that so much, but this was about 20 years ago now. Inter went 1-0 up in the first minute (Vieri), before going on to lose 2-1.

How much were tickets? We paid €30 back in 2001. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How much were tickets? We paid €30 back in 2001. 

I can't even remember... we bought them from a department store in Milan city centre. That sounds about right, though.

Not sure about the most passionate, but the loudest noise I have ever encountered came at St. Mary's. Anyone remember the game we lost 4-3 where it was 3-3 at HT and had been billed as a 'winners stay up' match? It remained 3-3 until late on and they snatched a winner. Never heard noise like it. 

The West Indian Brummies at Edgbaston in the 70's when Alvin Kalicharran scored a century against England.

"De yung Kanhai," shouted an elated West Indian fan as he stood next to me in the urinal, sipping from the pint in his left hand whilst directing his pee with his right.

I ventured into "their" stand out of interest. It had been visibly rocking for hours, fuelled by Red Stripe and ganga.

The smell was intoxicating, as was the crowd. The air was thick with the stuff. I eventually managed to weave my way  out, lungs full of fun.

If the wind had suddenly changed direction it would have comatosed half of Birmingham.  

"Cricket wonderful cricket ......."

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/02/2021 at 00:33, kick it off said:

I had my head split open by a coin at Molineux before they put the nets up to stop projectiles being launched from the upper tier (home) at the away fans in the lower tier. I was 7. I hate Wolves and their  neanderthal fans.

Every club has them, but in my experience, Wolves, Leeds & Sheffield Utd have been the biggest @rseholes I've encountered.

Edited by Orly
  • Like 1

I was at Wembley in 1977 when Scotland beat England 2-1 and then took most of the pitch home with them. There was one small pocket of England fans behind one goal but the rest of the ground belonged to Scotland. 

I took three young lads with me to the match and we were surrounded by very vocal Scotsmen, many in kilts, who were so passionate, noisy and made sure everybody knew they owned Wembley that day. It was a worrying day to be in charge of other people's kids.

The after match pitch invasion, the breaking of the goals, the ripping up of the turf and the emotion shown by the Scots was something never to be forgotten.