cambridgeshire canary

The table without Ivan Toney

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What a player, destined for big things no doubt. Or will he flop in the Prem?

toney.jpg

I predict he'll score less in the Prem next season than Pukki did last season.

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What a player, destined for big things no doubt. Or will he flop in the Prem?

toney.jpg

But this assumes that whoever would otherwise play up front for them wouldn't score any goals, which isn't really realistic? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

But this assumes that whoever would otherwise play up front for them wouldn't score any goals, which isn't really realistic? 

Someone has spent time compiling that list.

• Haha 2

This lad looks the real deal. credit to Brentford time and time again they sell players for very good money and then make very astute purchases.  This lad scored heavily in league 1 and Brentford took a punt on him we  could have done so too, If he stays fit he will power them to the PL and possibly keep them there. I bet Newcastle are kicking themselves they sold him for £600000 to Peterborough

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Someone has spent time compiling that list.

I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

• Like 1

Very good player and one which West Ham are looking to buy come the Summer. Brentfords recruitment is top notch.

This table would have more relevance-but still not much-if you took out the goals scored by the top scorer of each team in the league.

19 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Very good player and one which West Ham are looking to buy come the Summer. Brentfords recruitment is top notch.

I distinctly remember a number of posters on here (myself included ) saying he would be a great addition, and not happy when he went to Brentford for £10m odd. 

We obviously deemed it silly to spend that amount of a League 1 player but that’s the kind of gamble that will turn into £40m plus in the right market.

We gambled on Pukki rediscovering his goalscoring form at this level. Perhaps we played it safe. Perhaps we actually took the bigger risk?

Brentford had to replace Watkins but given they got £28 million+ for him spending a fraction of that was not a massive financial gamble.

As things have turned out who would you rather have Hugill or Toney?

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Our position without Pukki or Buendia goals? 

Doggy style, but on the receiving end.

Well it's kind of assuming that when someone has tee'd Toney up with an open goal or sitter that everyone else on the planet would miss it. 

It also suggests that without Toney the Brentford team would be passing to ghosts. 

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It’s quite flattering really to ‘show’ Brentford would would be out of the bottom 3 even if we’d played with 10 men all season. 

But I’m a bit disappointed at the thoroughness of the job done as it has only looked at Toney’s goals and not his 9 assists. We really would be sunk then! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

According to some on here we'd be going down......................

And end up stuck on 69 points missing the play offs. 

That table is mental. I was actually thinking when watching their game against Reading last night that unlike us who seemed to only be able to field whichever 11 players were fit, including weeks we had all our strikers injured and out were having to play midfielders up front, Brentford have had next to no injuries to their key players, and as that table demonstrates if they were to lose Toney they could really struggle.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

That table is mental. I was actually thinking when watching their game against Reading last night that unlike us who seemed to only be able to field whichever 11 players were fit, including weeks we had all our strikers injured and out were having to play midfielders up front, Brentford have had next to no injuries to their key players, and as that table demonstrates if they were to lose Toney they could really struggle.

It really doesn't. At all.

The only thing that table demonstrates is the ignorance of whoever spent their time putting it together.

Well our main striker can't hit a barn door at the moment, our 2nd striker is injured and our 3rd has flattered to deceive. Yet we're 2nd.

To suggest Brentford are a one man team is frankly ridiculous- just watch how they play. 

It's sparked a bit of debate but it's a meaningless comparison and incorrect conclusions being drawn.

If this post is just for a bit of fun then fair play. If it is for any meaningful debate, I’m out.

16 hours ago, WD40 said:

I distinctly remember a number of posters on here (myself included ) saying he would be a great addition, and not happy when he went to Brentford for £10m odd. 

We obviously deemed it silly to spend that amount of a League 1 player but that’s the kind of gamble that will turn into £40m plus in the right market.

It was only £5m up front though, the rest in add ons. E.g. promotion. 

12 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Well, apart from Pontus Janssen (out for the last 3 months not back until end of next month at earliest), Christian Norgaard (out since October maybe back in a couple of weeks), Charlie Goode (out most of the season through illness), Emiliano Marcondes (out a couple of months, not yet in contact training), Shandon Baptiste (out since September, unlikely to return this season), plus shorter term injuries recently for Josh Da Silva and Bryan Mbeumo, that’s spot on. 

Everyone has had injuries to key players, but it’s nice when opponents haven’t noticed because the understudies have performed so well!

Canos wasn’t fit at the start of the season either I believe, due to a long term injury? 

9 minutes ago, Clint said:

Canos wasn’t fit at the start of the season either I believe, due to a long term injury? 

He was out for most of last season with a cruciate ligament injury but the league suspension meant he got a few sub appearances and was available from the start of this season but it took him quite a while to regain full match fitness and form (not really until November/December). Early season he was poor and worse for trying too hard to do things his body wasn’t yet up to executing, particularly stepping into Benrahma’s position. Looking good now.