Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Brexit strikes again (this IS football-related)

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For goodness sake don't be such a pedant. I was thinking of the Ipswich guys but the truth is they were a rarity. Can you honestly look at the quality of youngsters in the England squad now and say the standard has been adversely affected by foreign players and coaches in our game?

Not sure really, our centre backs used to be as hard as nails and now they are big softies, and we've got people like Grealish and Bamford blowing over in a light gail. 

We do seem to have a nice little selection of quality attacking midfielders and a middle right backs. 

Your point though, about us not qualifying for the 1974 and 1978 World Cups, if that is seen as evidence that we weren't very good at the time, doesn't take into consideration that only 16 teams qualified for those tournaments, and it is now double that number at 32. The bar was higher.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I'm sorry but the overwhelming majority of British coaches are absolute dross. Remember in 2017 when Alan Irvine was asked if we had any good young players in the youth team and his answer was No, maybe Godfrey....

You also only have to look at the football being played by up and coming young managers like Rowett, Harris, Jones etc to know that it's not getting any better either. 

There are about 8 good British managers around at the moment, Smith, Rodgers, Potter, Wilder, Cooper, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard. If most clubs find themselves only being able to choose from a pool of British coaches the odds are highly likely that a club of our size and financial clout would end up being stuck with one of the many leftover cr4p managers. We never would have been able to get Farke under these rules and I'm just hoping we can hold onto him for as long as possible

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

If it were left to some on here we would still have Alex Neil in charge. I wonder if the anti British theme would be as prevalent then.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure really, our centre backs used to be as hard as nails and now they are big softies, and we've got people like Grealish and Bamford blowing over in a light gail. 

We do seem to have a nice little selection of quality attacking midfielders and a middle right backs. 

Your point though, about us not qualifying for the 1974 and 1978 World Cups, if that is seen as evidence that we weren't very good at the time, doesn't take into consideration that only 16 teams qualified for those tournaments, and it is now double that number at 32. The bar was higher.

My God you're grasping at straws. Couldn't even make the last 16 says it all really. Surely that's evidence of how ordinary English football was at the time? 

16 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm sorry but the overwhelming majority of British coaches are absolute dross. Remember in 2017 when Alan Irvine was asked if we had any good young players in the youth team and his answer was No, maybe Godfrey....

You also only have to look at the football being played by up and coming young managers like Rowett, Harris, Jones etc to know that it's not getting any better either. 

There are about 8 good British managers around at the moment, Smith, Rodgers, Potter, Wilder, Cooper, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard. If most clubs find themselves only being able to choose from a pool of British coaches the odds are highly likely that a club of our size and financial clout would end up being stuck with one of the many leftover cr4p managers. We never would have been able to get Farke under these rules and I'm just hoping we can hold onto him for as long as possible

Ditto 

Seriously, as a previous poster implied I will stand as a fine example of Brexiteer and Gammon.

A Championship with 92% of the managers home grown - maybe ex-players.

Players from the Rest of the World available on a points system basis available to be employed by Championship Teams.

Why has every other nationality have the God given right to play EFL or even EPL football? When, after all on Monday, we are all lamenting “Falling Over Foreigners” and how they conned Ref, Lino, 4thOfficial and VAR.

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My God you're grasping at straws. Couldn't even make the last 16 says it all really. Surely that's evidence of how ordinary English football was at the time? 

Am I missing something here? We didn't make the last 16 in 2014, the World Cup before last!

Also, who actually cares about the England team? The "Golden Generation" didn't even care enough to put club rivalries aside on International duty which is why they never had any chance of winning something, if they didn't even care about each other then I'm sure as well not going to give a frig about them. Been bored stiff by England since Euro 1996 under Venables. Suppose we were looking decent under Hoddle before he exposed himself as a nutcase. 

Sven Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello were both so clueless and boring that I'd be perfectly happy if we created a rule which said the England manager must be English. 

I'd take Hoddle, Venables and even Keegan over those two drones any day of the week. You are talking like we've been blessed in modern history. Premier League wasn't awash with foreign talent until about a decade after that famous Robson team in Italia 90. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Pulled from Transfermarkt

In July 2019 the striker signed a contract with Fulham that nets him a whopping salary of 3.1 Million Euro (2.8 Million Pound) per year.

its Mitrovic- I’d rather have 65 decent Brit players on £1000 p/w enriching our game 😂

not falling over when someone rubs his face

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Am I missing something here? We didn't make the last 16 in 2014, the World Cup before last!

Also, who actually cares about the England team? The "Golden Generation" didn't even care enough to put club rivalries aside on International duty which is why they never had any chance of winning something, if they didn't even care about each other then I'm sure as well not going to give a frig about them. Been bored stiff by England since Euro 1996 under Venables. Suppose we were looking decent under Hoddle before he exposed himself as a nutcase. 

Sven Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello were both so clueless and boring that I'd be perfectly happy if we created a rule which said the England manager must be English. 

I'd take Hoddle, Venables and even Keegan over those two drones any day of the week. You are talking like we've been blessed in modern history. Premier League wasn't awash with foreign talent until about a decade after that famous Robson team in Italia 90. 

Yes you are missing something. A valid argument. Or any argument at all for that matter. In fact I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. Your first post suggests that foreign players have been around forever in England when you must know that they were very rare indeed around 1970/1980 when England had a relatively poor team. 

The point of this thread is whether English football will suffer as a result of the lack of foreign/European coaches. I've suggested that we have benefitted hugely from them being here, particularly Wenger who changed English football completely. He wouldn't qualify under the new rules. 

Someone above has suggested that the England team and the Premier League will improve without so many foreigners. There is clearly no evidence for that, in fact the recent evidence suggests otherwise. 

I must admit that not being English I don't get too upset about their failures but I would like to see them do well. 

Perhaps you should stop trying to pick petty holes in someone else's arguments and concentrate on the overall issue. It doesn't matter what you think of Brexit but it's effect on football is very important to our club and English football. I can only see that effect being negative. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Hit the big lad up front . 

My work here is done 

I've heard from a reliable source that a football agency would like to get in touch to represent you ready for when this kicks in so they are fully stocked with people who know how to play football the proper British way.

I would check your spam folder, ignoring the Nigerian Princes as you do, as sometimes the emails go there due to the initials of the agency - Ball Shoot.

• Like 1

As usual, it's not the policy per se, but the utter incompetence (or mendacity) of the final rules that takes the breath way.

Not that Norwich should be worried as we have our next manager biding his time at MK Dons, and his player-assistant already at the club. Put two up front and revert to wing backs. That'll sort everything.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The point of this thread is whether English football will suffer as a result of the lack of foreign/European coaches. I've suggested that we have benefitted hugely from them being here, particularly Wenger who changed English football completely. He wouldn't qualify under the new rules. 

Oh right, well it appears that Wenger would have met the requirements having been at Monaco for four of the prior five years, so what is your actual argument? Want to try your next best example? 

But many would argue that they enjoyed football more in the 80's and 90's, when teams like Norwich had a realistic opportunity to achieve great things (like our period of success between 84 and 94). 

When you say "English football will suffer", you mean the Premier League might not remain the preferred destination for the worlds broadcast revenues, or dodgy Russian or Middle Eastern oil money.

I'm afraid many real football fans would welcome that and don't take great enjoyment out of the Premier League, I seldom watch it as a neutral and prefer watching the Italian top tier, but each to their own.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh right, well it appears that Wenger would have met the requirements having been at Monaco for four of the prior five years, so what is your actual argument? Want to try your next best example? 

But many would argue that they enjoyed football more in the 80's and 90's, when teams like Norwich had a realistic opportunity to achieve great things (like our period of success between 84 and 94). 

When you say "English football will suffer", you mean the Premier League might not remain the preferred destination for the worlds broadcast revenues, or dodgy Russian or Middle Eastern oil money.

I'm afraid many real football fans would welcome that and don't take great enjoyment out of the Premier League, I seldom watch it as a neutral and prefer watching the Italian top tier, but each to their own.

What absolute nonsense. There is no correlation whatsoever between dodgy Middle Eastern investors and European coaches plying their trade in the UK. 

And do you really believe that teams like Norwich have ever had a realistic chance of achieving great things? You're rewriting history! That sort of thing is so unusual they're still banging on about it in Suffolk 50 years later. 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What absolute nonsense. There is no correlation whatsoever between dodgy Middle Eastern investors and European coaches plying their trade in the UK. 

And do you really believe that teams like Norwich have ever had a realistic chance of achieving great things? You're rewriting history! That sort of thing is so unusual they're still banging on about it in Suffolk 50 years later. 

Harking back to a time that never existed. Seems appropriate for a Brexit thread..

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didnt say I don't like foreign managers, just think it would be nice to see some more British ones. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Why do you want to see more British managers - do you think that they are better or play more attractive football?

Personally, I think that we benefit from having the best available regardless of nationality.

12 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

Why has every other nationality have the God given right to play EFL or even EPL football?

They don't and didnt - what happened before that if WE wanted them, WE had the right to employ them. Just as in so many other areas, it is OUR rights and freedoms that have been removed.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

They don't and didnt - what happened before that if WE wanted them, WE had the right to employ them. Just as in so many other areas, it is OUR rights and freedoms that have been removed.

Yeah, but sovereignty...fishing rights...blue passports...

You just need to believe harder, like in Peter Pan.

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, but sovereignty...fishing rights...blue passports...

You just need to believe harder, like in Peter Pan.

Mine arrived yesterday and  it is not blue. It is an appropriately funereal black.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You are the one talking nonsense pal, by rabbiting on about Arsene Wenger joining Arsenal, completely irrelevant to the article that this thread is supposed to be about as he would have meet that proposed new visa requirements had they been in effect in 1995 due to spending 4 out of the 5 prior years at Monaco. You are trying to invent a problem so you can object to it. 

Foreign football managers have ruined football. Yes, they play a game that will win matches but the product is boring and unwatchable unless you're watching from the comfort of your sofa. Few characters left in the game. Foreign managers have given us a sterile, snorefest of a sport. That we are currently playing football in empty stadiums is a testament to how bad it is. Football has to be viewed from terraces and played by footballers, not athletes masquerading as footballers. 

Edited by Rock The Boat
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Mine arrived yesterday and  it is not blue. It is an appropriately funereal black.

Top Tip. It makes a brilliant gap fill if you have a wobbly table. 👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Vaccines... oh. 

That’s the spirit. If the facts get in the way its best to completely avoid them. 👍

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Foreign football managers have ruined football. Yes, they play a game that will win matches but the product is boring and unwatchable unless you're watching from the comfort of your sofa. Few characters left in the game. Foreign managers have given us a sterile, snorefest of a sport. That we are currently playing football in empty stadiums is a testament to how bad it is. Football has to be viewed from terraces and played by footballers, not athletes masquerading as footballers. 

The state of this..

1 hour ago, kirku said:

The state of this..

I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Are you telling me it's not?!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Are you telling me it's not?!

Probably not, that poster is beyond parody