Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Brexit strikes again (this IS football-related)

Seems to go a bit beyond Brexit. The Fail cite Bielsa as an example, yet he's Argentinian and managed Lazio, Marseille and Bilbao in the 5 years before joining Leeds.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Don't worry. We still have Sam Allardyce. Neil Warnock and Sean Dyche to drive up coaching standards. 

You forgot Tony Pulis...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A- Daily mail

B- Good. More British managers and players to represent our country is never a bad thing.

I, for one, would much rather watch a Hughton side with Gary O'Neil pulling the strings than have Farke and Emi Buendia with all their fancy flicks and progressive football philosophies.. 

• Haha 2

Mike Walker, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, John Bond, even Paul Lambert, all fantastic managers and played football the right way.

Alex Ferguson didn't do too bad and I could probably list a few Liverpool managers.

It is what it is.

Frankly I'm more concerned with surviving this pandemic and getting back to a football ground asap then this poor article from the Fail.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kirku said:

I, for one, would much rather watch a Hughton side with Gary O'Neil pulling the strings than have Farke and Emi Buendia with all their fancy flicks and progressive football philosophies.. 

Didnt say I don't like foreign managers, just think it would be nice to see some more British ones. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didnt say I don't like foreign managers, just think it would be nice to see some more British ones. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

A vast majority of managers are British

edit: approximately 80% of league clubs have a British manager

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Mike Walker, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, John Bond, even Paul Lambert, all fantastic managers and played football the right way.

Alex Ferguson didn't do too bad and I could probably list a few Liverpool managers.

It is what it is.

Frankly I'm more concerned with surviving this pandemic and getting back to a football ground asap then this poor article from the Fail.

Not sure what is poor about the article. It is fact-based and potentially serious news for us, and not in a good way. Webber said a while ago that he had a short-list of head coaches he would recommend to the board if and when Farke left, and it is a fair guess some of the names on that list would fall foul of this new restriction.

• Like 1

Don't worry. We still have Sam Allardyce. Neil Warnock and Sean Dyche to drive up coaching standards. 

I still dream of the alternate timeline in which we/England kept Sam Allardyce as manager and he won us the worldcup with Shawcross in defence and carroll up top

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not sure what is poor about the article. It is fact-based and potentially serious news for us, and not in a good way. Webber said a while ago that he had a short-list of head coaches he would recommend to the board if and when Farke left, and it is a fair guess some of the names on that list would fall foul of this new restriction.

Well I find the Bielsa example puzzling as he managed in the top leagues in Spain, France and Italy in the 5 years before he joined Leeds.

From an NCFC perspective it should hardly be surprising should it? The Brexit thread on  here has been going on about it for months. As Herman says; 'why didn't anyone warn us?'.

Threat or opportunity, it's down to NCFC, and levels the playing field.

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm sure everyone would if they're good enough, but the issue is that when we're talking about the top two divisions, there aren't quite enough good ones which is why we have so many from overseas.

25 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well I find the Bielsa example puzzling as he managed in the top leagues in Spain, France and Italy in the 5 years before he joined Leeds.

From an NCFC perspective it should hardly be surprising should it? The Brexit thread on  here has been going on about it for months. As Herman says; 'why didn't anyone warn us?'.

Threat or opportunity, it's down to NCFC, and levels the playing field.

Bielsa would failed because of language difficulties, I believe 

Like you say, it is what it is now, and we have to get on with it 

Worth remembering that Farke is our first ever non-British manager in 118 years.

It's one of those peculiar little nationalisms that there's a whole host of brilliant, dynamic English football managers kicking their heels outside the dole office, simply because Germany and Spain also do football managers.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Bielsa would failed because of language difficulties, I believe 

Like you say, it is what it is now, and we have to get on with it 

Alex Ferguson failed with his language a few times.

Erikson and Capello spring to mind. There's only one foreign manager I'd like to see in the England job and that's Mourinho and he might as well be English anyway.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm aware that this wasn't a serious comment, but there's a good article on the Athletic that points out most of the younger British managers are nothing like the 'old-school kick and rush' managers that you mention above. 

Think about Howe, Gerrard, Lampard, Steve Cooper, Scott Parker, Southgate... say what you like about their successes/failures, you can't say that they don't try to play decent football.

38 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Erikson and Capello spring to mind. There's only one foreign manager I'd like to see in the England job and that's Mourinho and he might as well be English anyway.

Pretty sure the unwritten current rule is 'English managers for England only or we risk the wrath angry of bald fat men'

1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

I'm aware that this wasn't a serious comment, but there's a good article on the Athletic that points out most of the younger British managers are nothing like the 'old-school kick and rush' managers that you mention above. 

Think about Howe, Gerrard, Lampard, Steve Cooper, Scott Parker, Southgate... say what you like about their successes/failures, you can't say that they don't try to play decent football.

Those ones do but there are 92 professional football clubs. The number of clubs outside the top 10 that play what I think of as decent football (Stringer, Walker, Farke in our recent history) are few and far between. I've watched all the football on TV this season and only Lincoln in League 1 play in a stylish way in the bottom 2 divisions. The vast majority don't at Championship level and below. 

English football at the top level was changed by Arsene Wenger who brought new training methods along with levels of fitness and diet not seen before. 

Someone above has said that it is good for our game and national team will be better for having fewer foreigners. Sorry but that's nonsense. The worst period in English national football in my lifetime was between 1970 and 1982 when we didn't qualify for two World Cups and failed miserably in the third. There were only 2 foreign players here at that time that I can think of and with the notable exception of Bobby Robson our coaches largely ignored foreign players and methods. 

Quite simply, when you bring in the best of European talent the standard gets dragged up.

This is a hugely retrograde step for British football. In 20 years time we'll be wondering how we fell so far behind. 

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

B- Good. More British managers and players to represent our country is never a bad thing.

Do non British players represent our country then ?

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It is what it is.

Bobby Robson won trophies in Portugal, Spain and Holland as a manager. 

We do have good managers. 

Moyes, Rodgers and Smith all doing well this season!

The worst period in English national football in my lifetime was between 1970 and 1982 when we didn't qualify for two World Cups and failed miserably in the third. There were only 2 foreign players here at that time that I can think of and with the notable exception of Bobby Robson our coaches largely ignored foreign players and methods. 

2 foreign players at Norwich, or in England? 

Because if England then sorry but that's rubbish... Ipswich had two Dutch players and a Canadian in the 81/82 season for a start, and in that same season Spurs had two Argentinians.

That was the season we had Drazen Muzinic. So that's 6 from 3 clubs in just one of those 12 years. 

I know that and I wasn't born! 

Didn't Liverpool have Grobbelear by then? Or was that slightly later? 

There's no doubt that foreign players have enhanced our game, but they have been around since forever. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

47 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

2 foreign players at Norwich, or in England? 

Because if England then sorry but that's rubbish... Ipswich had two Dutch players and a Canadian in the 81/82 season for a start, and in that same season Spurs had two Argentinians.

That was the season we had Drazen Muzinic. So that's 6 from 3 clubs in just one of those 12 years. 

I know that and I wasn't born! 

Didn't Liverpool have Grobbelear by then? Or was that slightly later? 

There's no doubt that foreign players have enhanced our game, but they have been around since forever. 

For goodness sake don't be such a pedant. I was thinking of the Ipswich guys but the truth is they were a rarity. Can you honestly look at the quality of youngsters in the England squad now and say the standard has been adversely affected by foreign players and coaches in our game?