Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Name that team!

Haven't done one of these for a while so why not...

Can you name the team from our 1-0 loss to West Brom that took place 19 years ago yesterday. Initials of the players are below....

RG

SN

CF

MM

DK

AR

GH

PM

PM

DN

TB

Subs for bonus points....

PC

BM

AN

DS

MR

And a final bonus point if you can name the former Norwich man in charge of West Brom for that game.

Edited by king canary
Missed a player

You're missing a player - two had the same initials.

Would not want to go back to those times... bar our goalie, a team where every player had peaked either before or when they were with us, with most to gradually slide down the leagues into obscurity.

Edited by Gibbo

30 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Would not want to go back to those times... bar our goalie, a team where every player had peaked either before or when they were with us, with most to gradually slide down the leagues into obscurity.

Good spot- added now

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Haven't done one of these for a while so why not...

Can you name the team from our 1-0 loss to West Brom that took place 19 years ago yesterday.

Is the answer Norwich City?

I think I'm doing this wrong....

4 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Pretty certain I've got 100%.

Think you're being a bit harsh there Gibbo. That's 2002, so plenty of the players hadn't peaked at this point. For sure they may have peaked at Norwich later but at this point, we had a squad that was massively improving. 

DK went on to be signed by Southampton in the Prem. Ok he didn't establish himself fully, but three seasons in the Prem and then a stint at Championship Leicester is hardly a decline from where he was at in 2002. Without a pretty unfortunate injury record he'd likely have done a lot better.

As well as RG, MM, CF, GH and PM would start the majority of our title winning season, and the other PM would contribute significantly. MM would continue at Championship level plus a season or two in the Prem for a while after that and CF remained a mainstay in our defence until his career's twilight years.

Of that 2002 team, I'd say only TB (god, remember him?) and AR started to wane but they'd probably already peaked as footballers and weren't ever ours, and SN and DN had hit their peak and wouldn't get any better.

2001/02 was an absolutely huge season for us and actually a springboard for the exciting two decades that lay before us. Prior to that season, our average attendances floundered at around the 13-15k mark. I used to be able to run up and down my row or climb over seats in our block or go and sit somewhere else if my Dad was p*ssing me offer in the seasons running up to the millennium and shortly after. But then we had a great start to the season which attracted interest and then that amazing run to finish in the playoffs and all of a sudden Carrow Road was jam-packed and you had a queue two-times around Carrow Road to get a ticket to the Millennium Stadium. The new blood then stuck around despite a pretty disappointing 2002/03 season which allowed us to get the South Stand rebuilt during a Championship winning season and long-awaited return to the Premier League and since then almost every home league game has been if not a sell out then no more than a couple of thousand away from it.

I'd happily go back, it was the start of something great.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

What I was meaning was we didn't really have anyone back then who had that potential to step up to the next level.  Bar Green, there weren't exciting players that bigger clubs would be sniffing around like we have now.  They were players who had found their level in Division 1 and while the odd one may have played a few games in the prem, they were really bench warmers at low end clubs that wouldn't have looked out of place back in division 1.

Slightly further back,  we had Eadie for a few years, then Bellamy for a short time, but there was a long run with very little to get excited about back then in terms of individual talent.  

MM, CF, GH and PM were certainly good for us and helped us go up.  But realistically no prem team would have swapped like for like with any of them.  Maybe PM at a push with a yoyo team like West Brom.

I’m dammed if I can think of the second PM or AR! Without cheating the rest I’m OK with.

Yes now I remember the second PM......one of the best songs we had for a player! Good old Franky Valli.....

28 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Scratching my head on AR, TB and BM but confident of the rest.

AR and TB were both loanees. The former shares his surname with a club legend.

BM shares his surname with a current player who is injured after an unexpected return to the first team earlier in the season.

Answers below....

RG- Rob Green

SN- Steen Nedergaard

CF- Craig Fleming

MM- Malky Mackay

DK- Darren Kenton

AR- Andy Roberts

GH- Gary Holt

PM- Phil Mulryne

PM- Paul McVeigh

DN- David Nielsen

TB- Trevor Benjamin