Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A 22 Year Old Billionaire About To Buy Sunderland ! .

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/12214397/sunderland-takeover-by-kyril-louis-dreyfus-close-to-completion?fbclid=IwAR01vcCo-RB_ioqiAMICXFYo4887ToKlb-DQBU5M3h8EYrYXuxd3l3Mo1N8

A billionaire at 22 sounds unbelievable let alone buying a football club at that age. 

Waits for the why aren't we Sunderland posts.

Edited by TIL 1010

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sunderland are a pretty big club, they don't deserve to be were they are. Good for them.

Yes they do. They are where they are because they play rubbish football and lose a lot of matches.

They recently only just beat the binners with 10 men.

I can see this going badly.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/12214397/sunderland-takeover-by-kyril-louis-dreyfus-close-to-completion?fbclid=IwAR01vcCo-RB_ioqiAMICXFYo4887ToKlb-DQBU5M3h8EYrYXuxd3l3Mo1N8

A billionaire at 22 sounds unbelievable let alone buying a football club at that age. 

Waits for the why aren't we Sunderland posts.

What’s unbelievable about inheriting wealth? Inherited privilege is what most of western society is founded on sadly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What’s unbelievable about inheriting wealth? Inherited privilege is what most of western society is founded on sadly.

Exactly- Winning the parental lottery is surprisingly common.

Just not for me or you 😉

26 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Where the moral in inheriting money. 

I wonder if he streams his coverage?! 

Hmmm, not sure where you are coming from here.

So if I make lots of money, pay all due tax on that money, and decide not to spend all that is left... that money should then be taken by the government to be dished out in dodgy contracts to various Old Etonions or spent on wars? 

Acquiring a loss making football club and keeping it running is essentially philanthropy, ask Bury fans whether they'd have wanted a heir to bail them out.

The government wouldn't do it if they grabbed the estates of the dead would they.

If I were stinking rich I'd hope that I could raise my offspring well enough to ensure that they use that money better than the government of the day would. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hmmm, not sure where you are coming from here.

So if I make lots of money, pay all due tax on that money, and decide not to spend all that is left... that money should then be taken by the government to be dished out in dodgy contracts to various Old Etonions or spent on wars? 

Acquiring a loss making football club and keeping it running is essentially philanthropy, ask Bury fans whether they'd have wanted a heir to bail them out.

The government wouldn't do it if they grabbed the estates of the dead would they.

If I were stinking rich I'd hope that I could raise my offspring well enough to ensure that they use that money better than the government of the day would. 

Taxes pay for things like hospitals, nurses, policeman, our armed services, pensions, social services and roads. If I remember correctly you work in banking - congratulations on living down to many people's low expectation of bankers.

(Oh, and of course - the best time to pay taxes is when you're dead). 

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Taxes pay for things like hospitals, nurses, policeman, our armed services, pensions, social services and roads. If I remember correctly you work in banking - congratulations on living down to many people's low expectation of bankers.

(Oh, and of course - the best time to pay taxes is when you're dead). 

What's your point? 

My point is that if I accrue money over my lifetime, whether that is £100k or £10m, it has already been taxed as income.

Thanks for explaining what tax and public expenditure is Thirsty Lizard, how enlightening, you've added so much to the debate. 

I don't have anything against inheritance tax, never said that I did, but Greavsy makes out that inheriting money or wealth is in itself immoral. 

Presume you are both against Tom Smith inheriting millions of pounds worth of Norwich City shares then, and that your post history will support that position? So if Delia dies, the shares should be sold in probate to the highest bidder and the entire proceeds directed to the treasury? Because Tom Smith inheriting them would be immoral?

What an odd pair you are. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What's your point? 

My point is that if I accrue money over my lifetime, whether that is £100k or £10m, it has already been taxed as income.

I don't have anything against inheritance tax, but Greavsy makes out that inheriting money is in itself immoral. 

Presume you are both against Tom Smith inheriting millions of pounds worth of Norwich City shares then, and that your post history will support that position? So if Delia dies, the shares should be sold to the highest bidder and the proceeds directed to the treasury? 

What an odd pair you are. 

Whoa there TVB - as ive stated, my moral comment was in relation to a thread yesterday. No other inference was intended. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Whoa there TVB - as ive stated, my moral comment was in relation to a thread yesterday. No other inference was intended. 

I think he had a sense of humour failure. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Fair enough, but you'll accept that this wasn't made clear and that my confusion/interpretation is understandable.

Now just waiting for Thirsty Lizard to expand on his new communist manifesto. 

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

I think he had a sense of humour failure. 

Easily done if inside jokes require somebody to read every post on every thread on this forum, those who do so are in a firm minority and have way too much time on their hands - although admittedly do exist.

Am I missing the humour in Thirsty Lizard's reply then? 

20 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Nothing that deep TVB was a reference to comments on a thread from yesterday. 

I did answer it here! 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Fair enough, but you'll accept that this wasn't made clear and that my confusion/interpretation is understandable.

Now just waiting for Thirsty Lizard to expand on his new communist manifesto. 

Christ! You're up for it tonight TvB. I 'got' his quip straight away  . Chill.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Easily done if inside jokes require somebody to read every post on every thread on this forum, those who do so are in a firm minority and have way too much time on their hands - although admittedly do exist.

Guilty as charged - being furloughed, and unable to visit my support bubble due to the weather there is not much else, Wish there was 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Seems you're  missing humour full stop . Like I said, chill.

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I did answer it here! 

Yes I get that now, fair enough - nothing to see here! 

I just want to hear Thirsty Lizard tell me that his will leave 100% of his estate to the Treasury instead of his kids, has never benefited in any way from an inheritance, and is against Tom Smith inheriting Delia's shares because they should be liquidated to fund dodgy government contracts. 

My morning Teams call with our NE office is going to be an interesting one.

The Mags will be particularly upset as their take over never happened and the Mackems will be overjoyed.

I might remind them of an incident at Carrow Rd where some newly minted fans waved £20 notes at us.

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sunderland are a pretty big club, they don't deserve to be were they are. Good for them.

If they are where they are they deserve to be where they are.

8 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Where the moral in inheriting money. 

I wonder if he streams his coverage?! 

Same can be said for nephew Tom inheriting a football club

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why don't they 'deserve' to be where they are?

They have won one trophy since World War 2. They deserve to be where they are and I cannot see where you can justify why they are a 'pretty big Club'.

• Like 1

Better by far for somebody who has passion for his club to be involved than some of the rubbish that has plundered clubs over the last decade or do . Everybody thinks their club is a great club - what is the problem here . No idea where his funding comes from but if transparent then great . Better by far to have this type of funding than some of the financial smoke and mirrors we have witnessed over recent years .