Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Webber Interview

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

By measured debate do you mean let's have people agreeing with you? I've constantly tried to have this measured debate with you Kenny...

I agree you have and please don't agree with me.... You'd miss me if I was gone ... Webber has done a good job but the first team has not IMO improved since his first promotion and his recruitment last season was appalling. This season better but the best so are loans... He is not the Messiah 

16 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Introduction 

Norwich City is proud of its record of being an inclusive, family-orientated football club, one where all our fans and staff feel safe, valued and respected.

We encourage our supporters to use social media in all matters relating directly to the club in a responsible and respectful way, ensuring an environment of well-mannered discussion, healthy debate and opinion.

All social media posts are likely to become a matter of public record and we urge our supporters to ‘think before you post’.

• Could my post be harmful to others?
  • Could my post cause others to fear for their safety?
  • Could my post have a detrimental impact on another’s wellbeing?
  • Could my post be perceived as abusive or discriminatory?
  • Is my post supportive of our Football Club?

You obviously don't read the official website. I agree with all of the above BUT the last point could be used to ban someone criticising the owners or board and that is not healthy.

Banned from what? In extremis, if you really go out of your way to get red-carded, from social media sites the club controls (which is not unusual in business) but hardly from anywhere else. Not from here, fortunately or unfortunately...

24 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I agree you have and please don't agree with me.... You'd miss me if I was gone ... Webber has done a good job but the first team has not IMO improved since his first promotion and his recruitment last season was appalling. This season better but the best so are loans... He is not the Messiah 

You know I'd miss you so don't go🙃

He's not the Messiah any more than McNally was when he was as here. They have both been very successful in their time.

Although McNally never recognised proper fans go to games...

🙃

The poor bloke had a full head of hair and a fresh face when he started.

Not an easy job, expectations are high and his own achievements have raised the bar somewhat. 

58 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Introduction 

Norwich City is proud of its record of being an inclusive, family-orientated football club, one where all our fans and staff feel safe, valued and respected.

We encourage our supporters to use social media in all matters relating directly to the club in a responsible and respectful way, ensuring an environment of well-mannered discussion, healthy debate and opinion.

All social media posts are likely to become a matter of public record and we urge our supporters to ‘think before you post’.

You obviously don't read the official website. I agree with all of the above BUT the last point could be used to ban someone criticising the owners or board and that is not healthy.

Yes it could, but I could stab someone with my kitchen knife or run someone over with my car. That doesn’t mean they are bad things. You are deliberately taking a reasonable statement to an extreme which is not going to happen, and to be polite as I can, it does you no credit.

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

almost all other teams we are up agains

Except of course Bournemouth and Brentford who have both banked a lot more than we have on transfer fees and probably Watford who also have parachute payments like we do and have also sold players and not bought anyone.

So, anything 4th or above must be a success by your definition.

I agree with you. Based on our comparative position at the start of the season to everyone else in the league, getting to the playoffs represents acceptable performance.

41 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Rubbish. My expectations of the season, is promotion based on not spending the year before and Webber's own comment pre season.. not changed one bit from the beginning of the season. Webber has done a good job but we will be in a similar position if he leaves and we are in this division. I some times feel that this board is  just here to boast the owners / boards egos ... Let's have some measured debate and analysis.. ps last year was a disaster.

You can certainly call this season a failure for Webber if we don't get promoted, by all means - and I would agree with you (shock people's views aren't as polarised as you seem to think!!!).

But you can't call Webber a failure overall because of that one season! 

Surely the basic question on success or failure overall is: 'where were we before and where are we now?' 

And if we fail to get promoted will we **** be in a similar position to before Webber joined - we are in a much better spot than before he joined, regardless of the outcome of this season: 

• New academy system with a strong reputation for developing youth
  • Top-of-the-range training facilities
  • Cleared all the debt that we were previously shackled by
  • The current crop of young players (Cantwell, Buendia, Aarons) are the most talented pool of players I have known at NCFC in terms of potential - and represent £80-100 million in transfer revenue
  • Several other exciting youngsters on the periphery (Idah, Martin, Soto, Omotoye, Oxborough, Barden etc)
  • Got us promoted during a time we were resetting as a club and had zero resources available 

All of those improvements should not be forgotten - and if we fail to get promoted this season he's still at least done a 'good' job and indeed probably more than that - if we do end up promoted then better still! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Rubbish. My expectations of the season, is promotion based on not spending the year before and Webber's own comment pre season.. not changed one bit from the beginning of the season. Webber has done a good job but we will be in a similar position if he leaves and we are in this division. I some times feel that this board is  just here to boast the owners / boards egos ... Let's have some measured debate and analysis.. ps last year was a disaster.

Also - the irony in this sentence in bold is brilliant. You accuse everyone of apparently being up the club's **** and then - in same breath - appeal to everyone for 'measured debate and analysis'. Seems you can't even follow your own standards. 

Well I've offered you my take now in detail - I look forward to reading yours 👍

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

He has done a pretty decent job but lets not get too carried away. If we go up then he will have done a very good job indeed 2 PL seasons out of 4, if not then 3 championship seasons in 4 and a PL season the worst that we have ever had would  be an ok performance but not much more

Sorry don't follow this. The club was on the brink when Webber came in. 

There are other measures of success than just '3 seasons championship, 1 season PL' - as I've listed above. 

If only people could remember where we were 4 years ago, short memories indeed!

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

1) We won't be in a similar position. Have you not paid attention to any of the stuff the club has done in the past few years?

2) Stop trolling.

League performance is not everything, and the work off the pitch has become far more professional and slick than it used to be, especially with young players. In this regard I'd argue Farke is even more important than Webber as he's essentially the lynchpin of the whole project with his eye for developing youth and working out when they are ready to come along.

As others have said, we had an aging squad on high wages that was not sustainable and we were in financial trouble to the point that the Maddison sale pretty much stopped us from going into administration. We're in the same division with a younger squad, more promising talent coming through, a far more sustainable wage bill, and arguably the most important thing of all, we now have a reputation as a club that young talents are well advised to join as they know we can offer a structured way into pro football if they really are talented and diligent enough without being the playthings of bigger clubs.

We used to have a spell in the days of Darren Eadie, Keith O'Neill, Craig Bellamy etc. where we brought youngsters through and did well, then departed from that norm. Webber and Farke, between them, have restored this.

For that alone, I'll be happy.

49 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Introduction 

I don't agree with you but fair play to you. You backed up your comment accurately. I share your view on the last comment as I value input from supporters of other clubs as well as those critical of how our club is run.

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I don't agree with you but fair play to you. You backed up your comment accurately. I share your view on the last comment as I value input from supporters of other clubs as well as those critical of how our club is run.

And you will still get that.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

And you will still get that.

I have no idea why posters are inferring all these bizarre things from a fairly simple bit of text.

The good thing about Webber is he has built for the future and has largely gone about his job in a modest way. 

The most relevant of his current comments are those about Kings Lynn FC. The survival of smaller clubs is far more important than whether Norwich have had to sell an extra player to compensate for Covid19 or the difficulties of 2 professionals balancing their family lives.