Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Jordan Rhodes

12 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Scored again tonight. Still wish we had kept him.  

Love Jordan but we couldn't afford him, my understanding was that Jordan was happy to take a cut in wages but they still wanted 5m for him.

Also does he suit our tippy tappy style of play, he's more of a fox in the box so would need loads of crosses in & we just don't play like that.

Nope nope nope NOPE NOPE... Christ there have been far too many threads being created on Jordan Rhodes of late..

He is a luxury type of player, a fox-in-the-box / poacher who can do little else for the team but finish - and in order to do that he needs the service on a plate.

Given our style of play is pretty reliant on everyone in team being able to contribute to our build up play - i.e. as well as running in behind, Pukki runs the channels to open up space, comes deep for possession on the half-turn or a lay-off etc, and even Hugill is a useful outlet for the longer ball / target man role playing with his back to goal - I just don't see where Rhodes would fit in here. 

Yes we've lacked someone who can consistently finish, but drafting in someone who might be able to do that - at some detriment to our play-style IMO is not the answer. Particularly in the games where we've looked a bit sluggish and struggled to break teams down - of which there have been a fair few!

What we really need is Buendia and Cantwell back to form, and Pukki to hit one in off his **** and get some confidence and sharpness back. NOT Jordan Rhodes. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

The fee was always to high, I think he would have been a perfect fit after promotion if the fee was sensible. But it wasn't.

He brought nous, commitment, leadership, strength on the ball and goals. Unfortunately the fee was too much and Drmic didn't work out.

Always pleased to see him do well but obviously not a topic with the transfer window is closed for any reinforcements other than the good business we did do.

It is a lesson however that we do need to learn as we have seen us go up before and sign Ashton in January and sign players that maybe were not an upgrade in what we had in the promotion team and also not realising that we needed more than 3 strikers. It costs money but we have learnt and if we go up this season I think it will be a very interesting summer.

33 minutes ago, Diane said:

Love Jordan but we couldn't afford him, my understanding was that Jordan was happy to take a cut in wages but they still wanted 5m for him.

Also does he suit our tippy tappy style of play, he's more of a fox in the box so would need loads of crosses in & we just don't play like that.

Given we payed the same as that for Hugill 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hugill is younger and gives more in his all round play in my opinion.

Rhodes was fine as a back up to bring on for 10/15 minutes but in our system I think he'd struggle to start games. Hugill, when he started getting up to speed, looked more comfortable in his all round game.

Rhodes is a nice guy but before his 2 in the last 3 games he hadn't scored since the second game of the season. 

31 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nope, fee for Hugill was £2:5m according to Archant  so half of what they wanted for Jordan Rhodes

He has played very little football since he was on loan to us. Wrong side of 30 and in his last season of his owls contract, someone will pick up a half decent player for free soon and he will have to accept much reduced wages. If we do not go up then we could do a lot worse having him as a squad player

4 hours ago, Diane said:

The problem was that Sheffield Wednesday had FFP issues at the time and still owed money to Middlesbrough.

If they accepted our offer of £0 it would trigger the full repayment of the remaining balance that they owed to Middlesbrough to be paid in a lump sum, instead of spread across his contract length.

So would actually have made their FFP position worse for that season not better despite £40k a week coming off their wage bill. 

Our offer was £0 transfer fee but taking over his wages. Would no doubt have been attractive to them if they didn't owe that money on him. 

I thought it was fair enough them rejecting that given the circumstances, just one of those things. 

3 hours ago, Diane said:

Nope, fee for Hugill was £2:5m according to Archant  so half of what they wanted for Jordan Rhodes

£2.5m with add ons which could take the fee to £5m.

Should imagine promotion would trigger a lot of that remaining £2.5m? Similar to Emi deal. 

Suggest once Emi goes we may need to change our style.  Pukki another year older and even less reliable.  Cantwell maybe another year by then almost all creativity has gone we will be hoofing it long style when Farke will also be gone 2022.  And our attacking options will be Hugill, Idah and Soto coupling Hugill with Rhodes might just suit our new style 

Just now, pete said:

Suggest once Emi goes we may need to change our style.  Pukki another year older and even less reliable.  Cantwell maybe another year by then almost all creativity has gone we will be hoofing it long style when Farke will also be gone 2022.  And our attacking options will be Hugill, Idah and Soto coupling Hugill with Rhodes might just suit our new style 

Christ! You live in a dark place!?😄