NeymarSmith

Mario's contract

Vrancic is well worth another contract providing he's not too greedy , regardless of what league we are in , still a real matchwinner on his day although does seem more of a impact player these days .otbc

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

You're comparing apples and pairs.

Vrancic isn't doing the business now.

He couldn't get in the side when he was younger and could play 90 mins. His value now is as an impact sub.

Vrancic isn't going to be offered a new contract on those terms. He's not in anyone's Premier League team and if we're still in the Championship next season, some kids will be playing. 

Isn't doing the business? Come on! 

Hes played the majority of games this season which has resulted in us being top for a good chunk of it. Hes also scored a few goals and has assists! 

So undervalued it's not true. Our recent unbeaten run was also ended when he was dropped, and that performance improved two fold when he was brought on. Of course that was definitely just a coincidence! 

He has attributes that we won't be able to replace, regardless of his perceived (and over exaggerated) weaknesses. Hes a special player. If those attributes, which are hugely effective, aren't diminishing, then he is 100% worth a place in a Farke squad.

46 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Isn't doing the business? Come on! 

Hes played the majority of games this season which has resulted in us being top for a good chunk of it. Hes also scored a few goals and has assists! 

So undervalued it's not true. Our recent unbeaten run was also ended when he was dropped, and that performance improved two fold when he was brought on. Of course that was definitely just a coincidence! 

He has attributes that we won't be able to replace, regardless of his perceived (and over exaggerated) weaknesses. Hes a special player. If those attributes, which are hugely effective, aren't diminishing, then he is 100% worth a place in a Farke squad.

Webber has said they are going to have contract talks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Good. He is a pedigree  footballer, doesnt rely on pace or strength ....just skill and nous.  There will be much  he can pass on to our younger midfielders . Josh Martin can take a decent free kick, working on it with Mario should only improve this. 

As an aside.....has anyone ever heard anything about Mario outside of the pitch? If not then that's a good sign that hes a top pro. I for one am glad he's  in talks.

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

Tettey as well, which I am bit surprised about.

It will be just like the good old days.

He is a nice tidy player who given time and space can thread some decent passes to the front men. Takes a useful free kick. Unfortunately English - sorry Sky football - particularly the premiership, mainly comprise of leggy,  powerful 6 ft plus athletes. Certainly in midfield. Mario just cannot compete with that. Let him go.

I'd give him another contract, he's a pretty unique option and generally does well when played in a deeper role, not so much when in the Number 10, and has the ability to come off the bench and influence the game.

Also, given his track record I wouldn't be surprised if we could find a buyer for him. They'll be a Championship club willing to cough up a quarter of a million for him, or a German team with some cash, so get him signed up now for another season or two and if we don't want him, tout him to another club for a fee.

If we go up we need to let him go and look to strengthen. If we don't I'd keep him. I really don't think he should be anywhere near the starting 11 as he hasn't got the space or strength to last or influence the majority of the game.

That said, his strength is his eye for a pass, and is one of our best at set pieces, so I'd keep him for when we're chasing games, or need his passing to open up tired defences.

Sadly, I really can’t see him being offered a contract he would accept.  If you look at the salaries he is one of our better paid players, and does not command a place in the team.  Our model relies on players leaving to give younger players an opportunity so the older players who hang around the squad but do not play regularly need to have a fantastic attitude, and have a realistic salary expectations.   I think he has a good attitude, but he will probably get a better offer elsewhere.  If we are going to keep an mature head to help the squad, I would much prefer to have Tettey around.