NeymarSmith

Mario's contract

From the front page, he is keen to stay.

What is your thoughts on giving him a contract and for the length (disregard any kind of financial issue and suppose he will stay on the same money he has now)

Would you give him another year (does that depend on which league we are in?)

Would you give him two years (taking him up to 33/34 and if we get promoted and go back down again he will be here)

Or would you say goodbye at the end of this season? Same with tettey I suppose can be asked?

I suppose a side to the question would be who can we get as good as him on the cheap?

Also, I'd like to add I defo think he is best in a deeper role, but I will concede shielding the back four, even in the champs, is far from his biggest strength.

To be fair, Pirlo wasn't there to shield a back four, he was there to hit dangerous passes out of the deep, to be a close-range out ball for harassed defenders and speed our game up that way. If you want Vrancic in the deep, you really need to change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-2-1. I actually think he suffers from that problem - he's not fast enough of foot to be a number 10, not to mention his passing's better out of the deep. As someone else said, he's good at sneaking that half-yard of space, but he's more likely to have it in the deep.

In fact, I'd go further and say bringing him back gets the best work out of Hernandez and Placheta if it gels. But he needs two men in the deep alongside him, and if in the Premiership, double it.

If Farke's wedded to 4-2-3-1, I'd let Vrancic go. If Farke's willing to change things around, keep for a year.

• Like 1

I like Mario, but in truth he's had a great chance to cement himself back in the squad, and whilst he hasn't played badly by any means he hasn't excelled either, missing a few chances to score which he probably would have done 2 years ago.

That said, he definitely adds something when he's on the pitch, most frequently as a sub this season and I see no reason why you wouldn't want a player of his ability around the squad. I'd give him another year with an option of a second regardless of if we go up or not

28 minutes ago, AJ said:

I like Mario, but in truth he's had a great chance to cement himself back in the squad, and whilst he hasn't played badly by any means he hasn't excelled either, missing a few chances to score which he probably would have done 2 years ago.

That said, he definitely adds something when he's on the pitch, most frequently as a sub this season and I see no reason why you wouldn't want a player of his ability around the squad. I'd give him another year with an option of a second regardless of if we go up or not

Agree as he seems to have had more impact coming off the bench than as a starter.

If Vrancic is offered a new contract I can only see it being similar to Tettey’s one this season, as I don’t think he has the energy to play a full 90 mins anymore

If we're limited to a squad of 25 on the Premier League it could be a factor. But he is quite unique whereas McLean, Rupp and Sorensen don't have the range of passing.

I'd keep him. His game isn't based on pace and physicality but on his footballing brain and his technical skills. 

He'll probably be fine at 38. Plus his dead-ball skills are better than most.

He most likely wont be a huge help in the Prem as a starter because out of possession he offers little - in possession its a totally different story with this guy, he's something special. 

Even if we get Premiership football next year we should probably keep Mario. 

• Like 5

We will only have room for a certain amount of players. We’ve got Dowell for a future No. 10. Mario is not quick enough or strong enough to play next to Skipp or whoever is our DM next season therefore I would let him go and spend the wages on an upgrade of Leitner. 

How he ends this season will play a massive part im sure. If he can hold down a place in that deeper role then he could become a squad player still should we get promoted, or not, for that matter.

He's not been Farke's first choice for years in the Championship. Now he's passed the age that we normally sign players. 

He's trying to be polite while hoping someone will come in and give him a contract. It won't be us.

Technically very good player but his legs are going so he can't do 90 minutes so is a bit part player!

That said I think hes worth keeping on a one year deal as an impact player.

• Like 1

If you had a deep midfield three of Sorensen, Vrancic and one of McLean or Rupp (assuming we don't get Skipp for another season), that could well work, but then Buendia and Cantwell wouldn't really be starting on the wings. You'd have a pair of number tens, then Aarons and Giannoulis would be encouraged to get up and down all game.

I could see that working well, with Sorensen being told to seek and destroy and Rupp being told just to get up and down the middle, breaking up what he can and setting the number tens off in possession, whilst helping Mario out in defence.

Otherwise, I agree with the super-sub comments.

Difficult to cut a player who is one of our most creative and disappointing none of the new recruits look anywhere near him !

41 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Difficult to cut a player who is one of our most creative and disappointing none of the new recruits look anywhere near him !

A younger Mario with the same skill set and a bit of pace and strength would be worth a fortune. Would be some find.

1 year contract if in the championship still. If we reach the prem, we'll have to be brutal with our current squad and he for me is not needed for Prem campaign. Just my opinion.

18 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we're limited to a squad of 25 on the Premier League it could be a factor. But he is quite unique whereas McLean, Rupp and Sorensen don't have the range of passing.

Hard to judge Soresen so far because he's not really had a fair crack in the middle yet. His passing has looked okay down the left with some good balls played out. Vrancic is very good at just taking that extra second to find a pass, it's true McLean and Rupp don't appear to possess that ability, but Rupp has improved in his time here and looks to be the long term option in the middle

I’m with the no time to let him go and move on to the younger players we’ve bought in.

Surely this depends on so many variables...

One of the mains ones being what other players will still be here next season? Whether we go up or stay down, we don’t want to be replacing half of the squad, that never works. But either way, I suspect there’ll be a number of outgoings.

A decision for the end of the season imo.If we go up he is not good enough or fit enough to play on a regular basis. If we stay in the championship then he can still be a good squad player for another couple of seasons

On 09/02/2021 at 18:14, Number9 said:

He's not been Farke's first choice for years in the Championship. Now he's passed the age that we normally sign players. 

He's trying to be polite while hoping someone will come in and give him a contract. It won't be us.

What, like Tettey? 

Mario has barely played this season in a deeper role. Stick him there next to Skipp and I think people's views might change. 

46 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

What, like Tettey? 

Mario has barely played this season in a deeper role. Stick him there next to Skipp and I think people's views might change. 

Two more players who won't be here in a few weeks. 

Perhaps Kevin Keelan could play in goal too, Harry Kane up front and Stene Nedergard on the wing.

8 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Two more players who won't be here in a few weeks. 

Perhaps Kevin Keelan could play in goal too, Harry Kane up front and Stene Nedergard on the wing.

My point is, Tettey has been rewarded with at least 2 contracts since the age of 30. So Mario's age isn't everything, and Webber and Farke both know the key attributes of Vrancic wont diminish quickly with age. 

If he finishes the season strongly, every chance he'll be offered another year. 

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

My point is, Tettey has been rewarded with at least 2 contracts since the age of 30. So Mario's age isn't everything, and Webber and Farke both know the key attributes of Vrancic wont diminish quickly with age. 

If he finishes the season strongly, every chance he'll be offered another year. 

Tetty deserves to be here via not just his comitments to the club, but his constant unshakeable good personality and his no doubt good nature when it comes to being a role model for younger players.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Tetty deserves to be here via not just his comitments to the club, but his constant unshakeable good personality and his no doubt good nature when it comes to being a role model for younger players.

Is Vrancic uncommitted and not a role model then? 

Tettey was kept because Farke still believed in his abillity on the pitch, as and when required. 

22 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Is Vrancic uncommitted and not a role model then? 

Tettey was kept because Farke still believed in his abillity on the pitch, as and when required. 

You're comparing apples and pairs.

Vrancic isn't doing the business now.

He couldn't get in the side when he was younger and could play 90 mins. His value now is as an impact sub.

Vrancic isn't going to be offered a new contract on those terms. He's not in anyone's Premier League team and if we're still in the Championship next season, some kids will be playing.