Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Who are we wanting to see in the next England squad?

I mean, it's San Mario so more of a mix a and b squad but hey- I think they all deserve a start, most of them been doing very well this season. (And I have been calling for Dunk to be called up for ages now super underated)

teamm.png

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I’d love to see Maddison start but Southgate is almost certain to play Mount or Grealish or both instead.

If I was picking a squad of 23 for Euro '21 now...I'd go..

Pickford,Pope,Henderson

AlexArnold,Walker,Chilwell,Shaw,Maguie,Stones,Gomez,Dier

Henderson,Rice,Foden,Mount,Grealish,  Maddison,Saka

Kane,Sterling,Rashford,Sancho,Calvert-Lewin

No disrespect intended but I fell out of love with international football years ago. The bias of the players called up mixed with the passionless displays. Playing for England used to be the pinnacle for players but caps get handed out too easily nowadays. The bulldog spirit of Italia 90 is a distant memory. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

God not Bamford!  Plllleeeeeaassse no! 

I wouldn't begrudge him a cap or two after the season he's been having and worse players have won one, but he's behind Kane, DCL and Wilson in the pecking order for me, and has competition for 4th in the pecking order with Ollie Watkins!

If Vardy was available he wouldn't even be on the radar, and then there is Danny Ings who we'd be talking about if he didn't spend half his time recovering from injuries. Oh and Tammy Abraham once he moves to somewhere he's appreciated more.

So it would probably be a bit pointless, he'd end up with 3 caps and never make the squad again.

I'd go with Kane, DCL and Wilson right now if we're looking to name a full strength squad.

EDIT: Oh.... Wilson is actually injured! Probably will see one out of Bamford and Watkins though, in my opinion more deserved based on form than Abrahams or Ings, at this moment in time.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

As long as Aarons and Cantwell continue to get called up then I'm happy!

I doubt Southgate will tinker too much given how few games England have had together lately, I would imagine Grealish and Mount will be in there, as will Maddison but whether they get much game time ahead of Foden is looking unlikely at the moment. We might see a bit more of Saka though as he's been consistently good, as has Calvert-Lewin.

The no1 spot is an interesting one, as I certainly think Pickford isn't quite at the level he was during the last tournament and hasn't been great for Everton at times.

3 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

I like Foden too. We have one good crop coming through

We've  always got a good crop coming  through, just need a decent coach to get the best out of them. Bring back El Tel.

• Haha 1

greenwood

Maddison.   Foden.  Sterling 

Grealish.   Henderson 

Shaw.   Stones.  Maguire.    Alex. arnold 

Pope.

For San Marino game, it does provide a chance to tinker. This will never happen of course but

Pope, Justin, Shaw, Stones, Maguire, Rice, Mount, Maddison, Grealish, Foden, Calvert-Lewin in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation (i.e. Grealish and Foden from wide).

9 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Please not grealish or Bamford. Hate them both with a passion. Madders JWP Foden for me

I mean, they are both irritating people but both deserve to play for England.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, they are both irritating people but both deserve to play for England.

Afraid so.. both in good form

I really couldn't care less about England but every time I see Saka play for Arsenal he is their best player. And appears to be a pleasant young man in contrast to some in the England squad at the moment 

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I really couldn't care less about England but every time I see Saka play for Arsenal he is their best player. And appears to be a pleasant young man in contrast to some in the England squad at the moment 

I mean if you were looking for an alternate B team how's this?

england b c.png

--------------------------------------Pope--------------------------------

-----Trent AA-------Maguire-------Stones--------Shaw----

--------------------Henderson---------Rice------------------------

--------Foden-----------------Mount---------------Sterling-----

------------------------------------Kane----------------------------------

Something like this? But this still leaves out Grealish, Saka, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Calvert-Lewin, Maddison - the attacking midfield and striking options are insane.

The only places we could probably do with more options is central defence and central / defensive midfield. What other options do we have here? Gomez, Keane, Mings, Godfrey at CB? Winks, Dier, Phillips for CM / CDM? Not quite the same level of competitiveness as our attacking options. 

Also, if you don't care about England - why comment? The thread title was pretty clear was it not? I've still got plenty years' left of disappointments in me before I throw the towel in thank you very much 😄 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

As a nation we always seem to develop a bunch of players in one position and never a balanced team.

We currently have about 4 high level right backs 3 or 4 exciting attacking midfielders but a dearth of talent at the defensive midfield position.  

Pope isnt good enough with the ball at his feet for how England want to play.

Be good see some more of Reece James & James Justin at full back.

John stones appears to be Englands best CB now. Genuinely don't think Godfrey is far off a call up now.

Ollie Watkins over Bamford for me.

Choosing 3 from Grealish, Maddison, Foden, Rashford, Kane, Greenwood, Sterling & Sancho is some choice.

Just now, Move Klose said:

John stones appears to be Englands best CB now. Genuinely don't think Godfrey is far off a call up now.

Choosing 3 from Grealish, Maddison, Foden, Rashford, Kane, Greenwood, Sterling & Sancho is some choice.

Oh and Saka. 

37 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

I mean, it's either Pope or Pickford when it comes to the England goal

And there's only one of the two I would prefer to see in goal and it's not the one with stubby arms

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean if you were looking for an alternate B team how's this?

england b c.png

Apart from Winks! I think one of England's problems is the lack of an obvious captain. And the fact that most of the players seem to have a brain the size of a pea. 

The Italy 1990 team had intelligent footballers and leaders throughout the side. And Gazza.... 

Edited by dylanisabaddog