Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Any lower divison clubs you are fond of?

Cambridge United due to some family connections- I now live quite near to Cambridge so I've been to the stadium a couple of times when I've got a spare Saturday.

Bristol Rovers. The Memorial Ground was the first time I went to a football match and City weren't playing. They played Oxford and game finished 5-3 to Rovers. Epic end to end stuff.

I also have a bit of a soft spot for Cheltenham Town. I used to work for their main shirt sponsor and the company had free tickets for staff. As no one really wanted to go to see them, they weren't terribly in demand and I would get a ticket once every four or five home games.

Barnet. Mates a fan and been to a couple.of games.

Not so much now but in the 90s used to look out for  Wycombes results. That was because of Premier manager 3. They had the best team in the conference. Hyde, Carroll, Creaser, Guppy. You started off with them to give you a good chance of promotion.

Not English lower league but Greenock Morton, first professional ground I went - played Celtic and lost but have had a soft spot for Morton ever since.

Edited by Jakarta Canary
spelling mistake

Blackpool. Back in the 70s my girlfriends Dad was a Director and he took me to a game. A club with a huge history who were on the way down and haven't quite resurfaced yet. Huge fanbase, but the entire area has been hammered economically over the last 40/50 years and the relative success of Preston has hit hard. Still a sleeping giant though.

Yeovil Town. My local club as a teen in the late-80s, early-90s when they were non-league cup giant killers. During my time in the area, they beat a dozen league sides and went head to head with Arsenal when an Ian Wright hat trick cost them a 3-1 defeat. I bumped into Trevor Brooking outside the toilets and forced him to sign my programme that day.

They over stretched and bought a new stadium then almost went bust. I remember a season when they went head to head with Martin o' Neills high flying Wycombe for a place in league football. I also remember the coin buckets circulating to keep the club afloat when they lost that fight.

Edited by Michael Starr

My wife is from Carlisle and i often took in a game when we used to visit her parents. Alas they passed away a few years ago so we no longer go up there very often. I recall watching them beat Farnborough Town in the Conference 7 nil and also a game against Torquay who had Neveille Southall in goal for them about 4 stone heavier than in his prime and he got sent off