Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Any lower divison clubs you are fond of?

Always did like Kings Lynn, mostly down to having some friends living there. Good people.

Always been somewhat fond of Posh, area is a dump but the stadium is alright and the fans have always been super nice and seem like decent people and fans.

From an early age , I always had a soft spot for Crewe. I think it was always a sympathy /underdog thing as they were always at the wrong end of the Football League, and I suppose, subconsciously, I never actually thought they would ever play Norwich!  

I went to see  them a few times (at Colchester one Friday night, when we were playing at home  the next day) Burnley away (that was an experience!) and have even slept on Crewe station, having watched them in a home game one night, waiting for a morning train back East.

When we did eventually play them, I was never torn though, as I always wanted us to win.

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

York City, I went to watch them a couple of seasons ago when spending time there. Passionate fans and a proper old school ground. 

Such a shame what has happened to them.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

York City, I went to watch them a couple of seasons ago when spending time there. Passionate fans and a proper old school ground. 

I have a couple of friends in Norfolk who support York. I went to a home game vs Hartlepool, the day we were playing Bolton away in 2015. Walked to the ground behind some Pool fans and had a laugh. 'Proper' football experience all round standing on the terraces. On the way out from the ground I had a message to say that we had scored a last minute winner and I couldn't help myself and yelled out. Of course, that drew quite a few quizzing looks. 

Northampton town, where I was born and my parents are season ticket holders so always keep an eye out for the cobblers score.

and Leamington Brakes as that’s where I live so I go and watch them and my son plays for one of their junior teams.

heart will always be yellow and green though #otbc

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Such a shame what has happened to them.

I blame Worthy.....

Oxford, being an Oxford boy, I’ve been known to sit in the Barclay with an Oxford shirt on the odd occasion we played them.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Oxford, being an Oxford boy, I’ve been known to sit in the Barclay with an Oxford shirt on the odd occasion we played them.

Badge covered? Oxford yellow could be mistaken for Canary yellow, especially with some of the outcomes of certain wash cycles I have seen at Carrow Road

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

Badge covered? Oxford yellow could be mistaken for Canary yellow, especially with some of the outcomes of certain wash cycles I have seen at Carrow Road

Nope full view as those around me knew and were ok with it! 😉 heck back in then the Barclay was a family we all got to know each other....so my little infraction ( about three times as Oxford were mainly lower league) were forgiven 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

From an early age , I always had a soft spot for Crewe. I think it was always a sympathy /underdog thing as they were always at the wrong end of the Football League, and I suppose, subconsciously, I never actually thought they would ever play Norwich!

Same here with Crewe. Went to watch a few years ago when visiting family.

Beat league leaders Lincoln City 2-0 I think and have looked out for their scores ever since.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Vadis said:

Same here with Crewe. Went to watch a few years ago when visiting family.

Beat league leaders Lincoln City 2-0 I think and have looked out for their scores ever since.

They always produced good young players in the 80’s & 90’s.

Bromley FC is a proper football day out for canaries fans living in South East London - once upon a time I was looking forward to going to Kings Lynn play there tomorrow night - not to be unfortunately...

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

From an early age , I always had a soft spot for Crewe.

Has that changed in recent years? Quite a few of their own fans have walked away due to the shadyness of the Barry Bennell situation and Dario Gradi's radio silence. 

Two lower league soft spots for me, Plymouth, and Tunbridge Wells (Not sure how low the lower leagues go)

NK Dob in the Slovenian 2nd division. Got attached in a Footy Manager save. Interesting real life little thing about them is that a few years back, they actually won promotion via the playoffs to the top tier, but due to financial reasons, were declined the promotion by the top league. They remain having fun in the 2nd tier. 

Edited by JB

Well, it was Brentford and Lincoln for me, due to location and  family connections! 

When Brentford Norwich  became a league game a few years back it felt surreal. A feeling that will be surpassed if Lincoln Norwich ends up a league fixture too! 

As a kid I always looked out for Northwich Victoria too.. just because the name was similar! Used to throw me for a second on the vidiprinter! 

My first Norwich game was watching us beat Stockport at home in 2001 on the way to the play offs so I've always had a soft spot for them being the first team I'd ever seen play live alongside Norwich, shame what happened to them aswell

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

11 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Bromley FC is a proper football day out for canaries fans living in South East London - once upon a time I was looking forward to going to Kings Lynn play there tomorrow night - not to be unfortunately...

I have read the book 'Home and Away' (Dave Roberts) which is a real life diary of a (Leeds based) Bromley fan, following his team all over the country. A great read.

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Has that changed in recent years? Quite a few of their own fans have walked away due to the shadyness of the Barry Bennell situation and Dario Gradi's radio silence. 

Yes, it changed quite a few years ago (so not because of the Bennell/Gradi thing)

I now actually keep a keen eye on Hamilton's results in the Scottish Prem, due to me being in Glasgow in July 2015 (so Alex Neil had been with us for half a season/Play Off win etc) and I went to look at their ground (I was wearing a Norwich City T shirt) and to have a picture taken outside the ground. A member of staff (turned out to be the Security Manager who knew Alex and Frankie McAvoy well) saw me and we got chatting about Neil etc and he kindly offered me a mini Stadium tour, there and then, which was fantastic.

Also, many years ago, I went out with a girl who's family was from Torquay, so I'd go and see them (the team, as well as the family 🙂 ) when I could (including an away game one time). Have been to a few 'neutral' games , depending if I was with mates, or just at a loose end, one being in the away end at a QPR v West Ham game (Plastic pitch days) That was different!

Forest Green Rovers - relatively local to me, environmental credentials, vegan like me, nice ground in the countryside, play in green and they play on 'the Lawn'. What's not to like?

Plus about 20 different teams connected to places I've lived and family links.

• Like 1