Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Defence vs Attack

Yep - that's how it tends to go.

If you decide to increase the priority you give to defensive solidarity, you decrease the priority given to attack.

Always used to annoy me at work when people asked for an increased priority to be given to something without answering where we should reduce priority. 😡

In the middle of the park, yes. Big difference between the likes of a Leitner/Vrancic and a Rupp in that deep-lying position. We still have full-backs that like to bomb on more though, and I'd actually say we've simply got a more functional back four than we used to have as for all his prowess with his left foot, Gibson's not quite as progressive/dynamic going forward compared to Godfrey (not to mention Lewis was also very attacking in his pomp during that Championship season). However Gibson is a better pure defender right now.

At the same time, Rupp gets tarred with some strange criticisms. He's not the incisive pass-picker that Vrancic is, but he is a very sprightly presence around the middle of the park with a good engine and speed for getting up and down, is good at turning the ball over, and likes to get it forward. He just looks for telling balls to attacking players in threatening positions and not the cutting ones that slice defences apart that Vrancic or Leitner would try to hit.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Yep - that's how it tends to go.

If you decide to increase the priority you give to defensive solidarity, you decrease the priority given to attack.

Always used to annoy me at work when people asked for an increased priority to be given to something without answering where we should reduce priority. 😡

That's where      ' giving 110%'     comes into effect. Do none of you understand football?. 😂😉👍😇

• Haha 1

Seems to be. I would argue that, if you ignore the two individel errors we made against Swansea, we have one of the best defences right now in the Divison. Swansea only scored down to our own errors, always worth keeping in mind.