KiwiScot

If you thought the weekend was going to get better

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

You have to make an attempt to roll away. Sometimes you cannot getout and referees understand that. Its the player who tries to con the ref that he is trapped. Nothing spoils a game more than somebody deliberately slowing the ruck down. The ruck is the quickest way to recycle the ball.

Just seems very harsh sometimes and I wondered if the ref blows even if the player is obstructing play unintentionally.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Just seems very harsh sometimes and I wondered if the ref blows even if the player is obstructing play unintentionally.

The Ref can't always distinguish between deliberate and accidental. The clarity of the rule puts all the onus on the player to tackle, but in doing so, roll immediately out of the way of the ball and the attacker who wants to next play the ball. It's a good rule, as everyone knows where they stand (lay!) and as kg says, it speeds the game up.

Clarity hey, if only the FA could introduce that!

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

The Ref can't always distinguish between deliberate and accidental. The clarity of the rule puts all the onus on the player to tackle, but in doing so, roll immediately out of the way of the ball and the attacker who wants to next play the ball. It's a good rule, as everyone knows where they stand (lay!) and as kg says, it speeds the game up.

Clarity hey, if only the FA could introduce that!

Alun Wyn Jones (what a player BTW) got penalised towards the end of the game for failing to roll away, but had at least one Irish player lying across his legs. How is he supposed to roll away when that happens?

34 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Alun Wyn Jones (what a player BTW) got penalised towards the end of the game for failing to roll away, but had at least one Irish player lying across his legs. How is he supposed to roll away when that happens?

As I said , the onus is still on the tackler to get out of the way. There are ways of tackling and getting out of the way, and (in the 'old' days), there were ways of tackling and 'accidentally' getting caught on the wrong side, whilst pleading innocence to the Ref 😉 . It slows the attack down, to a cynical level, hence why this rule was introduced. 

Players all know the Law, and they would just have to find another way of tackling 🙂

• Thanks 1

Nuff

Tom Curry, the England openside flanker spent much of the game on the wrong side. He had to do it because Scotland's back row forwards were reeking havoc. It was a deliberate act.

Some times he got away with it because the ref may have been standing behind the defending team or on the other side.

But when he did see him he penalised him. England were happy to maybe giveaway three points than seven.

As it turned out, the game, dominated by Scotland, could have still gone to England with a converted try.

So Curry's tactic, which Scotland would acknowledge they would have done in the same circumstances, could be argued as successful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Alisson's certainly doing his best to make Tim feel better.

Blimey. He's approaching Gary Sprake territory today.

There is a story about Gary Sprake. In one match for Leeds, in trying to throw the ball upfield, he held onto it too long and carried on round so he threw it into his own net. Jack Charlton, who had been trotting forward, hadn't seen what happened but just heard the roar and then saw the opposition celebrating.

So he asked the ref, who was collapsing in fits of laughter, for an explanation. Upon being told, a true Revie-trained Leeds player to the last, he said: 'Well, you're surely not going to award a goal for THAT?!'

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Yes Cricket and League are good sports as well and I got you English covered there.

image.png.2f8b2b6ccc809f9393492c1c019b1dc7.png

image.png.80e940d7db1d4474a91919966bea2563.png

Forgetting to mention the 2019 cricket world cup final there Kiwi 😉 

2 hours ago, lincsy88 said:

Forgetting to mention the 2019 cricket world cup final there Kiwi 😉 

I was in NZ at the Basin Reserve when England lost their first ever test against NZ. Boycott was Captain with a young Ian Botham in the side.

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is a story about Gary Sprake. In one match for Leeds, in trying to throw the ball upfield, he held onto it too long and carried on round so he threw it into his own net. Jack Charlton, who had been trotting forward, hadn't seen what happened but just heard the roar and then saw the opposition celebrating.

So he asked the ref, who was collapsing in fits of laughter, for an explanation. Upon being told, a true Revie-trained Leeds player to the last, he said: 'Well, you're surely not going to award a goal for THAT?!'

I believe it was Liverpool v Leeds and the Kop sang the Des O' Connor hit Careless Hands mocking Sprake.

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

AND this time Norwich won.

How did you win that one KS? Or rather, once again, England snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Another year on...and still only about a dozen countries in the whole world play it ...

After 150 yrs odd existence, wonder why?

Like I said  last  Year,  it's a stupid game  , trouble is, my grandson  plays it and he's not bad, so I have to go and  watch. 

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

How did you win that one KS? Or rather, once again, England snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Game could have gone either way. Think we didn't give up on this one after England ground us down and we gave away all those penalties. Plus we had the ability to play forward for once. It would have been an amazing final try, but that penalty try and man off was a bigger boost. Put us in control for the end.

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Like I said  last  Year,  it's a stupid game  , trouble is, my grandson  plays it and he's not bad, so I have to go and  watch. 

It really is. I gave it a go today but it was dreadful. What was that at the end all about? Certainly not a sporting spectacle. And pundits are saying that was a great game. I actually switched to the Netball at one point.

England shot themselves in the foot in the 2nd half, fair play to Scotland for taking advantage but as others have said I'm not bothered about it, certainly wouldn't swap our win today for England winning in the Rugby. 

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It really is. I gave it a go today but it was dreadful. What was that at the end all about? Certainly not a sporting spectacle. And pundits are saying that was a great game. I actually switched to the Netball at one point.

Dano, when my grandson  was a toddler , I started kicking a spnge  ball with him , like I did my son. Except  the  grandson  would pick it up... every time.  He's never been interested in footy and at 11 said he wanted to play Rugby, what's more he's  not yet 14 and is , I fear , taller than me.  ( I'm bigger than Mortyo). I'll never understand  the attraction  and if I want a kip in front of the telly , could be Ireland v England world Cup final and I'd be out in 5 mins.