cambridgeshire canary

What do we think Brentfords chances of finishing 1st are?

37 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Was Ben Gibson what we needed this season?

Was Oliver Skipp what we needed this season? 

I'm happy to explain the term "hit and miss" if you like.

It requires there to be both "hits" and "misses". 

Brentford seem to be the best around at recruiting on a modest budget. 

Ollie Watkins £1.8m, Neil Maupey £1.5m, Said Benrahma £2.7m.

Sold for a combined £73m up front, with adds on to come.

Its fine if you don't think I should be praising other clubs, I'm still going to do it though. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

34 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

We were odds on three games ago.

I’ll be happy if the bookies are right.

The good thing is we have he nous to see the job through. Brentford bottled it last season after several bites at the cherry. They look awesome at the moment but have never crossed the line to the promised land ever. 

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its fine if you don't think I should be praising other clubs, I'm still going to do it though. 

So Brentford don't have misses?

Brentford are unbeaten in 20, but are due a bad patch. They are not going to stay unbeaten for the rest of the season. Norwich are having a blip but should be back firing on all cylinders once Emi and Steipmann are back. 

46 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Missing the point in spectacular style. You said OUR recruitment had been 'hit and miss'. You then proceeded to only quote a 'miss' (so far). I was just balancing it up for you.  

52 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sounds like Brentford are lacking ambition and keep selling their best players to me 🙂 🙂 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To win the Championship outright 

Brentford evens 

Norwich 2/1 

Swansea 4/1

As a regular gambler I can tell you that even money, and odds on favourites, do get turned over every day of the week.

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

As a regular gambler I can tell you that even money, and odds on favourites, do get turned over every day of the week.

Quite. Not so long ago we were odds on ourselves. I know the last week has been pretty much as bad as it could have been for us, but there is still a very long way to go and things can change very quickly...

image.png.16199cf4904041a8b15e5c0560d47a01.png

10 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Missing the point in spectacular style. You said OUR recruitment had been 'hit and miss'. You then proceeded to only quote a 'miss' (so far). I was just balancing it up for you.  

I'd argue it's been a bit disappointing again. 

Placheta, Dowell, Hugill the three to arrive for seven figure sums and none have nailed a place in the starting XI and all still have it all to prove. 

None have made a big impact. 

Meanwhile you are praising the loan signings who we've borrowed for a year and have no hope of keeping if we don't win promotion. 

So no, not really, you haven't balanced it out. Even Sorenson has it all left to prove, as he needs to force his way into the team in his preferred position. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Your Tour de France analogy is an excellent one - but bad news for you I'm afraid.

You will know of course that the winner of the Tour de France wears a..............................................................................................

Yellow Jersey!! 🙂 🙂 

Touché!

Having experienced the nadir of being beaten regularly down the bottom of L2 I’m quite happy if we get the red and white of the King of the Mountains and ascend to the PL (though stripes not spots- don’t want to look like Mr Tumble!). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sounds like Brentford are lacking ambition and keep selling their best players to me 🙂 🙂 

No lack of ambition, just the realism of knowing we can’t hang on to players who’ve shown their ability to be given a chance to make the step up if the club doesn’t itself go up. We’d have probably hung on to Benrahma and Watkins if we’d gone up and I think we’d have been competitive in the PL.

The ambition, starting from a much lower base, is similar to yours, but going from a perennial midtable L1 club to one that’s competed in the top half of the Championship to one that hopes to establish in the PL without a billionaire backer is a long, hard slog. 

7 minutes ago, aBee said:

No lack of ambition, just the realism of knowing we can’t hang on to players who’ve shown their ability to be given a chance to make the step up if the club doesn’t itself go up. We’d have probably hung on to Benrahma and Watkins if we’d gone up and I think we’d have been competitive in the PL.

The ambition, starting from a much lower base, is similar to yours, but going from a perennial midtable L1 club to one that’s competed in the top half of the Championship to one that hopes to establish in the PL without a billionaire backer is a long, hard slog. 

Don't worry - I wasn't having a go at Brentford at all. It was just a tongue in cheek poke at the miserablist crew on here who are always looking for a stick to beat their own club with. (Lacking ambition - always selling our best players is one of their go to attack lines). 

One of my best mates from my school days is a big Brentford fan so I'm really pleased to see them doing so well. Much prefer Brentford to Watford or Bournemouth. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Brentford are kind of where we were a month ago. It can all fall apart in a few games. Long way to go yet.

Exactly this.

Form goes in and out over season. There are also potential issues over injuries etc in a very compacted season etc. The season lasts 46 games.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The good thing is we have he nous to see the job through. Brentford bottled it last season after several bites at the cherry. They look awesome at the moment but have never crossed the line to the promised land ever. 

To be fair they were a top flight team just before and just after the war

I've quite like Brentford. They've always seemed a friendly club with decent supporters and there's one on here now. They've never going to take Leeds ' bottler ' crown but their record in play-offs is poor so they'll be very keen not to go through that wringer again.

13 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

To be fair they were a top flight team just before and just after the war

I've quite like Brentford. They've always seemed a friendly club with decent supporters and there's one on here now. They've never going to take Leeds ' bottler ' crown but their record in play-offs is poor so they'll be very keen not to go through that wringer again.

I should have read up! Lovely football again this season from them. I hope they go up and ideally with us too. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

I don't mind the Bees and their loyal support....Watched a recently aired documentary about mainly their history and the views of their fans, it featured on some freeview channel. It was funny, entertaining and down to earth with no airs an' graces.....They're far from being an arrogant club from down saaarf....

20 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because after having watched them play both today and a few other times they are easily the best team in the divison as of now. No contest. Fast, hungry and clearly have the desire and talent to take on any team they play with no fear. In many ways they remind me of us in our title winning season two seasons ago. 

And what a striker Ivan Toney is- No doubt will be the most likely player to win Championship player of the season.

I do worry that our team is not just struggling with form, but psychologically too, Meanwhile Brentford are looking the complete opposite, and fair credit to them- Fantastic team and easily a Premier League team in waiting.. Facts are they have scored 14 goals in thier last three matches while we have scored 0.

I do worry they may end up knocking us off of our perch at the top and take our current place and provided they carry on the way they are I just don't see us (or anyone else..) being able to stop them.

Yes I think it's coming they look a dangerous team if they carry on as they are they will deserve to be champions. They could have a blip like us though and allow us back in but it doesn't look that way at the moment. I don't think many teams will fear us at the moment either

They will finish champions and Swansea second we might should get in next four if this is not the start of a bad run reminds me of Leeds crash 

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

They will finish champions and Swansea second we might should get in next four if this is not the start of a bad run reminds me of Leeds crash 

We may be having a bit of a blip but with a 15 point cushion to 7th it would be a major disappointment if we fail to make the top six now.

On 06/02/2021 at 17:15, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because after having watched them play both today and a few other times they are easily the best team in the divison as of now. No contest. Fast, hungry and clearly have the desire and talent to take on any team they play with no fear. In many ways they remind me of us in our title winning season two seasons ago. 

And what a striker Ivan Toney is- No doubt will be the most likely player to win Championship player of the season.

I do worry that our team is not just struggling with form, but psychologically too, Meanwhile Brentford are looking the complete opposite, and fair credit to them- Fantastic team and easily a Premier League team in waiting.. Facts are they have scored 14 goals in thier last three matches while we have scored 0.

I do worry they may end up knocking us off of our perch at the top and take our current place and provided they carry on the way they are I just don't see us (or anyone else..) being able to stop them.

Do you and all the other ‘loyal fans’ on here still have the same opinion? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Bump

I stand by what i said. They were the best team in the divison and played like it at the time I made this thread.

At least post on your main account and please don't necrobump.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

It was a few weeks ago which doesn’t qualify as a necrobump. The season is nearly nine months long. Winning a league involves performing well throughout. You said they would win the league easily.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 21:38, aBee said:

A fair comment and I’ve been following far too long not to have experienced many such bad runs (eg last season it wasn’t the last two games that did it but a weak start and a lacklustre handful of games prior to the last pre-lockdown game). I take a bit of comfort from us not having played especially well in many of the games in the run- there were many fans going ballistic at a toothless 0-0 away at Wycombe as well as for having conceded late equalisers to you, Swansea and Blackburn at home. We also have some key players who’ve been out a long time, like Jansson (hopefully back late March) and Norgaard (back training, maybe ready in a couple of weeks). 

I think it will be a bit like a Tour de France stage. You were staging a breakaway but Brentford and Swansea have jumped the gap and the 3 teams could fire each other on to keep and grow that gap ahead of a sprint finish. One or more might not have the legs to do it or suffer a puncture and get swept into the peloton. The one coming third will probably otherwise end far ahead of 4th and then have to pick itself up for the play offs. 

Leaving that analogy aside, there’s also the chance of a 4th team joining us. If Reading beat us on Wednesday they’ll be well placed after having gone through their own bad patch. 

Looks to me like you've gone ar$e over t!t and broken your collar bone. 

• Haha 1

This thread hasn't aged well. Love @aBee's Tour de France analogy - that's actually a cracking piece of analysis.

Lol, this thread is even more cringeworthy than it was when it was first posted.

• Like 1

The last month just goes to show that those conceding the title were being far too early - as is anyone who thinks we are certainties now.  There’s still over a quarter of the season to go with a lot of tricky games remaining, so I’m with the cautious Farke - whilst we’re in a fantastic position, teams have faltered from similar in the past.

• Like 1