cambridgeshire canary

What do we think Brentfords chances of finishing 1st are?

Because after having watched them play both today and a few other times they are easily the best team in the divison as of now. No contest. Fast, hungry and clearly have the desire and talent to take on any team they play with no fear. In many ways they remind me of us in our title winning season two seasons ago. 

And what a striker Ivan Toney is- No doubt will be the most likely player to win Championship player of the season.

I do worry that our team is not just struggling with form, but psychologically too, Meanwhile Brentford are looking the complete opposite, and fair credit to them- Fantastic team and easily a Premier League team in waiting.. Facts are they have scored 14 goals in thier last three matches while we have scored 0.

I do worry they may end up knocking us off of our perch at the top and take our current place and provided they carry on the way they are I just don't see us (or anyone else..) being able to stop them.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Pretty likely. But I’ll happily take second - and think that’s where we will mostly probably end up.

But surely Brentford can’t keep this up for the rest of the season? They’re bound to have a couple of blips along the way which will keep things tight at the top. 

Must say I am enjoying the profits as I keep sticking them on to win after they go a goal down 😆

• Like 1

Brentford do look the real deal. 20 games unbeaten proves that and they're scoring for fun. If they run away with the league then fair play but we are more than good enough for 2nd.

Forget about Brentford, just focus on staying above Swansea and despite last night's result I still thing we are better than them.

Farke needs to sit the players down find out from them what's going wrong, why Gibson said we were rubbish (cos we weren't) and get them focused for Stoke. 

The big thing they have is goals all over the team. Toney is looking great and Janelt, Ghoddos are good players too. Our biggest issue for a while is a lack of goal scorers, if,it isn’t Pukki, Buendia or maybe Cantwell then no one else really threatens (maybe Vrancic).

long way to go though. 

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because after having watched them play both today and a few other times they are easily the best team in the divison as of now. No contest. Fast, hungry and clearly have the desire and talent to take on any team they play with no fear. In many ways they remind me of us in our title winning season two seasons ago. 

And what a striker Ivan Toney is- No doubt will be the most likely player to win Championship player of the season.

I do worry that our team is not just struggling with form, but psychologically too, Meanwhile Brentford are looking the complete opposite, and fair credit to them- Fantastic team and easily a Premier League team in waiting.. Facts are they have scored 14 goals in thier last three matches while we have scored 0.

I do worry they may end up knocking us off of our perch at the top and take our current place and provided they carry on the way they are I just don't see us (or anyone else..) being able to stop them.

Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very high.

• Like 1

As a Brentford fan I’m torn between thinking this run can’t go on and not being able to make a strong case for anyone beating us without some seriously freak event! 

They're incredibly clinical at the moment, but xPG suggests they're not creating anymore than we are.

In fact, we should have scored more than them. 

Id be surprised if they can keep finishing as clinical as they are for the rest of the season.

They are clearly the best attacking side in the league. I still think they haven't got the greatest defence though. That would be the way they'd potentially have a blip. How many recent seasons have they done this though? Looked promising and then fallen away and stayed down.

Toney was a great signing to be fair.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

They're incredibly clinical at the moment, but xPG suggests they're not creating anymore than we are.

In fact, we should have scored more than them. 

Id be surprised if they can keep finishing as clinical as they are for the rest of the season.

yup, look at Reading at the start of the season

I don't think there's much between us technically and tactically but they do have a bit more athletic ability about them, they can sometimes run with the ball to carry it forward without having to always use the short pass like us giving them another dimension for teams to deal with. They also don't have a squad full of players who have a PL failure on the CV and know they're not good enough giving them a bit of a motivational mental edge and possibly most importantly they have a striker in red hot form. I think we have the slightly better manager and defense and the best player in the league in Buendia to nearly even things up but yeah to me they are the best team in the league and I think we'll be fighting Swansea for 2nd.

I’ve been to Brentford quite a bit over the last 4-5 seasons on non-Norwich weekends and this season is largely a continuation, building on previous work...they should have gone up last season but did their usual of losing in the playoffs.  
Tbh I don’t really care whether we finish top or second if we go up, and I don’t suppose they do either.

I cannot believe we have given up 1st with 18 games to go!. They win their game in hand and they go a couple of points clear. 3 weeks ago everyone was worrying about which players we needed for the premier league. We have all the best teams to play at home (even without fans- teams have to travel and not play on their own pitch . We have lost 1 game at home all season and that was a fluke. That was our hardest fixture last night. If we do poorly in our next 5 games- then and only then might I agree we have shot our bolt. The main difference between the sides is Toney- although I seriously regret not buying a top striker in summer or winter window, we just need our forward players to recapture their form. Come on OTBC

Loads of time to put our house in order and go again. We are still top of the league and the table doesn't lie, so while that is the case we have everything to play for.  Swansea and Brentford still have those diificult away games on bleak evenings where there is no atomosphere and awkward teams to play against so they will not have an easy ride. 

Us....we simply have to believe in the team and the way they play and the way they got to the top of the table in the first place - we are top for a reason. Believe it and screw Brentford and Swansea.

33 minutes ago, aBee said:

As a Brentford fan I’m torn between thinking this run can’t go on and not being able to make a strong case for anyone beating us without some seriously freak event! 

Brentford are kind of where we were a month ago. It can all fall apart in a few games. Long way to go yet.

It's only a short time ago where it was felt if you finish above Watford and Bornmuff it would mean auto promotion. Not the case now. Season wasn't over in the autumn and isn't over in the winter. It will finish in the spring. 

1 hour ago, aBee said:

Strange that, I thought exactly the same about Norwich a month ago but since then we've had several "freak events"

Teams rarely get out of this league in a northerly direction without a bad run at some stage

We are having ours now but have no fear, your time for a dip in form will come before this season is over..

We just need to get back to the levels we were before the F..A cup game. Long way to go and we will take some stopping if we can rediscover the form that got us clear at the top 

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Strange that, I thought exactly the same about Norwich a month ago but since then we've had several "freak events"

Teams rarely get out of this league in a northerly direction without a bad run at some stage

We are having ours now but have no fear, your time for a dip in form will come before this season is over..

A fair comment and I’ve been following far too long not to have experienced many such bad runs (eg last season it wasn’t the last two games that did it but a weak start and a lacklustre handful of games prior to the last pre-lockdown game). I take a bit of comfort from us not having played especially well in many of the games in the run- there were many fans going ballistic at a toothless 0-0 away at Wycombe as well as for having conceded late equalisers to you, Swansea and Blackburn at home. We also have some key players who’ve been out a long time, like Jansson (hopefully back late March) and Norgaard (back training, maybe ready in a couple of weeks). 

I think it will be a bit like a Tour de France stage. You were staging a breakaway but Brentford and Swansea have jumped the gap and the 3 teams could fire each other on to keep and grow that gap ahead of a sprint finish. One or more might not have the legs to do it or suffer a puncture and get swept into the peloton. The one coming third will probably otherwise end far ahead of 4th and then have to pick itself up for the play offs. 

Leaving that analogy aside, there’s also the chance of a 4th team joining us. If Reading beat us on Wednesday they’ll be well placed after having gone through their own bad patch. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aBee said:

I think it will be a bit like a Tour de France stage. You were staging a breakaway but Brentford and Swansea have jumped the gap and the 3 teams could fire each other on to keep and grow that gap ahead of a sprint finish. One or more might not have the legs to do it or suffer a puncture and get swept into the peloton. The one coming third will probably otherwise end far ahead of 4th and then have to pick itself up for the play offs. 

Leaving that analogy aside, there’s also the chance of a 4th team joining us. If Reading beat us on Wednesday they’ll be well placed after having gone through their own bad patch. 

Your Tour de France analogy is an excellent one - but bad news for you I'm afraid.

You will know of course that the winner of the Tour de France wears a..............................................................................................

Yellow Jersey!! 🙂 🙂 

• Haha 2

Brentford are the best side in this league this year.

The Champions not always the best side in the league above though, as Aston Villa and Sheffield United showed when they both managed to stay up last season.

I don't consider our chances of 1st place being very high now.

Brentford seem to have this recruitment thing nailed though, our recruitment has been very hit and miss again. Was Placheta really what we needed this season?

I've just watched the Middlesbrough Brentford highlights:

'Boro missed two absolute sitters, so I don't think brentford's defence is all that (they conceded 2 against Bristol C too).
'Boro seemed to push up a lot further than they did against Norwich. Brentford's 3rd was a real 'Boro gaff and they were very high up the pitch.

33 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Brentford are the best side in this league this year.

The Champions not always the best side in the league above though, as Aston Villa and Sheffield United showed when they both managed to stay up last season.

I don't consider our chances of 1st place being very high now.

Brentford seem to have this recruitment thing nailed though, our recruitment has been very hit and miss again. Was Placheta really what we needed this season?

Was Ben Gibson what we needed this season?

Was Oliver Skipp what we needed this season?