Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

Today's games

Brentford play their game in hand on us on Wednesday against Reading, who are themselves on a decent run of form, unbeaten in their last 7. A draw will see Brentford go above us on GD, a win they go 2 points clear. Really could do with Reading doing us a favour. Even if they can get a point that would be a huge help. With the run Brentford are on though; 20 unbeaten, 7 wins in their last 8, (a run that, incidentally, started with the 1-1 draw against us), it's difficult to envisage when we are going to catch a break.

That said it does feel like things aren't going our way at the moment. When we played Middlesbrough they put in their best defensive performance of the season and it felt like they would've died before giving us a goal, today they were gifted the opening goal, but went on to miss 2 sitters and found a way to lose that game. 

One thing I would say though is that we know how to get out of this league. Much of the same squad and the same coaching staff did it 2 seasons ago, and I have no doubt they know what's required to do it again. Brentford don't have that experience, and massively bottled it last season, and that's got to have a psychological affect. They will lose a game at some point soon, and it'll be interesting to see how they react when they do.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

20 games unbeaten for Brentford now, right? That's the makings of a team that will go up as Champions and finish 1st.

They won't always be as lucky as they were today. 'Boro should've got a couple more & Bees' 3rd goal was a fluke. 3-3 would've been a fair result.

But then of course getting the rub of the green gives you that most important attribute - confidence. It was the same for us 2 seasons ago, we always had the feeling we could go on & get a result even when we were a couple of goals down. That's not there at the moment, & I'm just praying it comes back. Soon.

Edited by ron obvious

Let’s not beat round the bush, Brentford are far better than us at attacking, they are quick and have a decent attacking game plan, we are a hell off a lot slower in building it up especially recent games which allows teams to set up.

We need to get the confidence back to moving the ball quicker.

Reality is we’re going through a little confidence blip and Buendia back with Pukki finding form will change things.

9 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Brentford play their game in hand on us on Wednesday against Reading, who are themselves on a decent run of form, unbeaten in their last 7. A draw will see Brentford go above us on GD, a win they go 2 points clear. Really could do with Reading doing us a favour. Even if they can get a point that would be a huge help. With the run Brentford are on though; 20 unbeaten, 7 wins in their last 8, (a run that, incidentally, started with the 1-1 draw against us), it's difficult to envisage when we are going to catch a break.

That said it does feel like things aren't going our way at the moment. When we played Middlesbrough they put in their best defensive performance of the season and it felt like they would've died before giving us a goal, today they were gifted the opening goal, but went on to miss 2 sitters and found a way to lose that game. 

One thing I would say though is that we know how to get out of this league. Much of the same squad and the same coaching staff did it 2 seasons ago, and I have no doubt they know what's required to do it again. Brentford don't have that experience, and massively bottled it last season, and that's got to have a psychological affect. They will lose a game at some point soon, and it'll be interesting to see how they react when they do.

If Vrancic has scored that easy chance we would have beaten Boro easily in my opinion. Goals change games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If Vrancic has scored that easy chance we would have beaten Boro easily in my opinion. Goals change games. 

The main difference i notice is Brentford are incredibly clinical. I wouldn't be surprised if they're scoring more than their xPG whilst we are scoring considerably less than.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

The main difference i notice is Brentford are incredibly clinical. I wouldn't be surprised if they're scoring more than their xPG whilst we are scoring considerably less than.

Yes. I just don’t understand what’s happened to our shooting and final third decision making this season. I’ve never seen a team get in so many great positions and not even make the keeper have to make a save. Can’t really think of many keepers who’ve had a blinder against us recently as they haven’t had to. 

15 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

They won't always be as lucky as they were today. 'Boro should've got a couple more & Bees' 3rd goal was a fluke. 3-3 would've been a fair result.

But then of course getting the rub of the green gives you that most important attribute - confidence. It was the same for us 2 seasons ago, we always had the feeling we could go on & get a result even when we were a couple of goals down. That's not there at the moment, & I'm just praying it comes back. Soon.

Sadly , they possibly will. Theyre already on a 20 game unbeaten run due to this being an incredibly weak league this season...theyve just beaten boro 4-1 who are apparantly the 7th best side in it....total dross donwards from there.

There just arent that many teams in this division capable of beating them, even if they have an off day

..same for us though, we're capable of now going on another unbeaten run 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Why do brentford deserve to be promoted?..  completely bottled it last season and currently have 54 points with 19 games to go?

You deserve it if/when you actually do it

They deserve it because they have continually played good attractive, attacking football over a period of 3 years and have recruited well when losing their better players. Why on Earth we didn't go in for Toney beggars belief. 

I think we're good enough to go up with them, for the record but we need to get out of this run of poor attacking play sharpish. 

12 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They deserve it because they have continually played good attractive, attacking football over a period of 3 years and have recruited well when losing their better players. Why on Earth we didn't go in for Toney beggars belief. 

I think we're good enough to go up with them, for the record but we need to get out of this run of poor attacking play sharpish. 

You deserve it when you manage to do it...they havent deserved it in the last 2 seasons...and nobody wins promotion in February with 19 games left on 54 pts

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. I just don’t understand what’s happened to our shooting and final third decision making this season. I’ve never seen a team get in so many great positions and not even make the keeper have to make a save. Can’t really think of many keepers who’ve had a blinder against us recently as they haven’t had to. 

Hourihane scored the one chance he got from 25 yards. Swansea only had 3 opportunities from open play. We had 11 including multiple opportunities on the edge of the area. You can't expect to score every one of those but at least half should be working the keeper.

49 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Wasnt an easy chance , it was on his right and he's left footed.  It was a half chance.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Hourihane scored the one chance he got from 25 yards. Swansea only had 3 opportunities from open play. We had 11 including multiple opportunities on the edge of the area. You can't expect to score every one of those but at least half should be working the keeper.

Yes, this is alarming. We look so powder puff in front of goal. For a team who've spent so long at the top there's not many occasions when the opposition keeper has been MOTM or even really broken sweat against us.

Despite our current woes I think we'll do enough to finish top two. If the worst comes to the worst we're a comfortable 15 points above 7th.

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You deserve it when you manage to do it...they havent deserved it in the last 2 seasons...and nobody wins promotion in February with 19 games left on 54 pts

I'm my opinion they will deserve to go up. If your opinion is different fair enough. 

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Also, are you seriously saying you always get what you deserve in life?? No of course not. I think they deserve it more than any other club, whether they achieve it or not is down to them. 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Also, are you seriously saying you always get what you deserve in life?? No of course not. I think they deserve it more than any other club, whether they achieve it or not is down to them. 

After 46 games of a football season...yes , that is what I'm saying. A league table doesnt lie over that amount of games

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Quite right. We did mess it up in the last 2 games of the season where a win or two draws would have given us second and a lacklustre display in the play offs (which we have never won in 9 attempts). But at the league’s suspension we were well adrift of top 2 and just sustaining a play off spot would have been decent after a poor start. 8 wins on the trot gave that tantalising glimpse of automatic promotion. 

Season before last we did well to stay in touch but only had 3 away wins all season, one of which was a technical one as Bolton couldn’t fulfil the fixture. 

This season is looking different and hopefully like 13/14 when we followed L1 play off loss (after missing an injury time penalty in our last league game that would have given us promotion) with automatic. But a long way to go!

Just a quick shout for a  2-1 win for Paul Warne’s Rotherham at Preston today ,

Out of the bottom 3 . Gotta love a Norwich boy beating the odds . 

• Like 1