Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Where Is Josh Martin?

As the title suggests, he’s vanished.  Looked decent earlier in the season and was getting a lot of praise. Had a dodgy first half (away somewhere, maybe Luton?) got taken off and not been seen since! 

Played for under 23s last night, 0 0 draw against Fulham, played full 90 mins. Seemed to play well when he was in the first team

7 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Played for under 23s last night, 0 0 draw against Fulham, played full 90 mins. Seemed to play well when he was in the first team

this. Was busy last night.

Why he was with the under 23's and not us is another question however..

• Like 1

Quite shocked he hasn't been around the first team for a while. Fell out with Farke? Injury nobody knew about? Who knows whats gone on but id personally like to see him back in the fold 

Josh Martin, this season, is not the answer. 

The answer is getting Dowell and Hernandez up to to match fitness asap, playing Vrancic deeper, and keeping Buendia's toys in the pram! 

• Like 2

He's a good little player but too similar to Cantwell and is a replacement for rather than an as well as.

Needs to improve his defensive work and bulk up.

7 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Josh Martin, this season, is not the answer. 

The answer is getting Dowell and Hernandez up to to match fitness asap, playing Vrancic deeper, and keeping Buendia's toys in the pram! 

Agree, but I would probably put McLean back and next to Skipp

Skipp McLean

Buendia Dowell Hernandez

Pukki

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

Agree, but I would probably put McLean back and next to Skipp

Skipp McLean

Buendia Dowell Hernandez

Pukki

Looks a little light defensively (and I don't think Hanley has done much wrong to be dropped). 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Quite shocked he hasn't been around the first team for a while. Fell out with Farke? Injury nobody knew about? Who knows whats gone on but id personally like to see him back in the fold 

He wouldn't have been around the squad in the first place if it wasn't for all the injuries. Now we've got the majority of our players fit again, there's just not room for him... look at the experience we had on the bench last night! Barden, Zimmermann, Giannoulis, Mumba, Tettey, Dowell, Vrancic, Hernandez, Idah... I guess Mumba is the only one there who Martin might be preferred to? His time will come, but probably not this season unless we get another spate of injuries.

• Like 1

But he was around the squad and did well. We have a wealth of experience on the bench but how many are playing well or in form? I can recall at least 2 matches this season where Martin came off the bench and positively influenced the match and a couple of starts in which he looked very decent. I can’t really recall the same of some more experienced players.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Buendia Than Barnby said:

Looks a little light defensively (and I don't think Hanley has done much wrong to be dropped). 🙄

Didnt bother putting Krul or the back 4 in, as barring LB it obviously picks itself. 

We need to work on Giannoulis being that LB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clint said:

As the title suggests, he’s vanished.  Looked decent earlier in the season and was getting a lot of praise. Had a dodgy first half (away somewhere, maybe Luton?) got taken off and not been seen since! 

Living La Vida Loca with his uncle Ricky?...............

If you listen to Farke talk about young players and how they develop he will repeatedly make the point that they have peaks and troughs and the thing that's hardest for young players to develop in their game is consistency. Put another way, player's development is NOT LINEAR - often they will take a step backwards before making two steps forwards at some point further down the line. Josh Martin is a young player with lots of skill and bags of potential, but it's unrealistic to expect him (or indeed any other young player) to just smoothly carry on getting better in a smooth straight line like a jet taking off. 

• Like 1

And a final point - us Norwich fans have been absolutely spoilt over the last three seasons or so with the amazing development of young players like Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Cantwell. The first three in particular have developed their careers in something approaching a straight upwards line, but this is very much the exception rather than the rule. 

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If you listen to Farke talk about young players and how they develop he will repeatedly make the point that they have peaks and troughs and the thing that's hardest for young players to develop in their game is consistency. Put another way, player's development is NOT LINEAR - often they will take a step backwards before making two steps forwards at some point further down the line. Josh Martin is a young player with lots of skill and bags of potential, but it's unrealistic to expect him (or indeed any other young player) to just smoothly carry on getting better in a smooth straight line like a jet taking off. 

Agree Thirsty, but the thing is so do the senior players. Pukki's dried up for 8 games without a goal, and yet plays every game whether he looks jaded or not, Vrancic, Mclean, Rupp, even Cantwell are all blowing hot and cold, so it's not just about your age.

Josh certainly started brightly and hopefully has a bright future with us. Just need the senior players to step up, now we're in a purple patch 

23 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Agree Thirsty, but the thing is so do the senior players. Pukki's dried up for 8 games without a goal, and yet plays every game whether he looks jaded or not, Vrancic, Mclean, Rupp, even Cantwell are all blowing hot and cold, so it's not just about your age.

Josh certainly started brightly and hopefully has a bright future with us. Just need the senior players to step up, now we're in a purple patch 

Fair point Samwam. The fact is that they are human beings and all human beings have good days and bad days. Twas ever thus. 

42 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

1 goal in his last 8 games, Hugill injured and Idah making his way back to injury, did we miss a trick by not bringing in a striker on loan

Don’t think it was Covid related but hasn’t he been ill recently? 90 minutes in the U23’s would been to get some game time 

In the main I think he did ‘ok’ when we used him, but agree with Wolfie that him starting at all was largely due to injuries...and there were games when he wasn’t so good (Reading).  I’m sure he’ll be around the first team squad again soon enough.  

To be fair it’s not exactly as if he’s really starring in the under 23s or doing anything in those games to suggest he’d transform the first teams current performance.

19 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

This bit in bold should be etched into the awareness of every football fan - and indeed it's a life motto.

Progress is rarely linear. That's gravely oversimplifying the nature of progress itself. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes you go backwards for a bit - you've all no doubt heard the phrase "sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards".

22 hours ago, rock bus said:

To be fair it’s not exactly as if he’s really starring in the under 23s or doing anything in those games to suggest he’d transform the first teams current performance.

It's a good sign of how stacked our team is that he can't even make the bench to be fair

On 06/02/2021 at 12:08, Clint said:

But he was around the squad and did well. We have a wealth of experience on the bench but how many are playing well or in form? I can recall at least 2 matches this season where Martin came off the bench and positively influenced the match and a couple of starts in which he looked very decent. I can’t really recall the same of some more experienced players.

Agree with this, why do people prefer experience over youth when we definitely did better with Josh in the team. Same with Giannoulis his experience pushed Sorenson out which was out of order, Sorenson had been brilliant what more could you ask of someone. I hope Soto is impressing in training and we get him in as well. Young fresh legs better than an old head sometimes.

13 hours ago, Mullet said:

Agree with this, why do people prefer experience over youth when we definitely did better with Josh in the team. Same with Giannoulis his experience pushed Sorenson out which was out of order, Sorenson had been brilliant what more could you ask of someone. I hope Soto is impressing in training and we get him in as well. Young fresh legs better than an old head sometimes.

I agree with Dimi, he shouldn't have gone into the team so quickly with Sorenson playing well. I think the fear over the run of 'tougher' teams was that Sorenson not naturally being a left back had been caught out of position a fair few times, and we had conceded a few goals because of it so getting Dimi in seeing as he's the long term solution was the better thing to do. I assume Sorenson was sold the 'we'll ease you back into CM and you'll be playing there in a few games time'. But in truth he's been doing a sterling job at LB and shouldn't lose his position unless he deserves to due to poor performance, or because a slot in his 'natural' position opens up. He certainly didn't deserve to be dropped to the bench. Will be interesting to see who starts at LB next time out, I assume it'll be Dimi.

As for Martin, was out with Flu and now Hernandez is back has another body to get past. I think he can certainly play a part, but as we've seen with Idah, it doesn't mean these guys will get huge amounts of game time if the mainstays are fit. We know Pukki oozes class when he's on it, so it makes sense to play his as much as we can ahead of Idah in the hope he gets back into form. Same goes for the midfield options ahead of Martin.