Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So lets say we bottle automatics-How will we do in playoffs?

I don't even want to talk about playoffs given that quite frankly they are awful and the thought of them makes me sick, but thought this might make for a decent discussion.

If we had to play any of the current top 7 who would you prefer it be?

I wouldn’t fancy us at all if we end up in the playoffs as it will mean the rest of the season has not gone well. 

Don't like being negative,but I'm a realist. I feel it will be the play-offs for us.The failure to sign another striker in the window will prove folly. Really,we have struggled all season to see teams off with further goals when on top,and ok,we may go on another good run,but also can't see Brentford or Swansea folding under pressure and the goal difference is starting to build up.Always felt our dependence on Pukki to carry us in the goalscoring stakes this season would come back to bite us where it hurts. Hope i'm wrong,but I doubt it.

30 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Don't like being negative,but I'm a realist. I feel it will be the play-offs for us.The failure to sign another striker in the window will prove folly. Really,we have struggled all season to see teams off with further goals when on top,and ok,we may go on another good run,but also can't see Brentford or Swansea folding under pressure and the goal difference is starting to build up.Always felt our dependence on Pukki to carry us in the goalscoring stakes this season would come back to bite us where it hurts. Hope i'm wrong,but I doubt it.

Like you, I hope I am wrong, but have felt for a few weeks that Swansea and Brentford may well fill the automatics. If so, I really wouldn't fancy us in the playoffs with a bunch of demoralised players who knew they had thrown almost certain promotion away. For all our possession and pretty play, we seem to have lacked the final ball, often relying on a flash of individual brilliance to get the win by the thinnest of margins. If it came down to playoffs there is also a good chance that several of our better players, assisted by their agents, would already have their minds on their next move rather than the task in hand. Hopefully we will now go on a nice little run, and this thread will slip down the board and be forgotten about. 

Having said that, going up with the current squad would appear to result in another painful lesson in the gulf between the quality of the two divisions, resulting in us being destined to spend several seasons going up and down like the bloomers of a lady of the night.

Edited by Sooty57

45 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Indeed. Automatic is a dream, but I do feel we are drifting to a playoff place, even more so if we don't do well in the next match.

The psychology going on in the heads of some of our players right now must be pretty hard

I think the players and coach will be totally broken if we fail to get auto. Doesn't  bare thinking about.

But it's not going to happen. I've faith in Farke, for now, to get us through this. It's a poor league and still in our hands.

Wondering what difference Hourihane would have made to our midfield and the absence of him to Swansea’s

2 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

Wondering what difference Hourihane would have made to our midfield and the absence of him to Swansea’s

Steve Cooper might look like the village idiot, but Hourihane might be the signing of the season.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Steve Cooper might look like the village idiot.....

STOP PRESS... Village Idiot outsmarts 70's P0rn Star 😉

Edited by Sooty57
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Steve Cooper might look like the village idiot, but Hourihane might be the signing of the season.

Exactly the kind of midfielder we need to try and get once Skipp leaves.

Do feel our midfield is going to be seriously exposed when he does

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Exactly the kind of midfielder we need to try and get once Skipp leaves.

Do feel our midfield is going to be seriously exposed when he does

Skipp is my player of the season. He has played well even when we haven't. He is quick in the tackle when he needs to be, constantly he looks for a forward pass and is not afraid to fill a hole and take the ball if nothing is on immediately. I used to like Leitner in 18/19 when at his best but  he was no match. I could watch Oliver Skipp play all day. A delightful midfielder and the real difference this season.

With Krul and Gibson / Hanley we've had 3/4 of a great 'spine' of a team.  If only we had found a Toney or someone like him upfront we would walk the league. And I'm a big fan of Teemu (as I was of BGH) but times come around and we didn't focus on this position adequately in recruitment. Jordan Hugill hasn't really had much playing time has he? Maybe we have some talent coming through. Young Adam Idah? Soto? Who knows. In the striking department we seem to be in a transitional phase. We've been in these phases before. In 18/19 it all came together across all positions and there was consistency and belief. 

Let's hope Teemu can find his second wind  or Adam / Jordan come good. So much has been good this year but you do feel we are at an interesting point. Rather than complain too much it's all about the journey really isn't it rather than just a focus on the end point?

We've pretty much reached our potential so it's not are we good enough which we are, but it's will be put in a performance and give it some grit. Which we generally don't.

I'd take Reading

We have to go up automatically or we won't go up at all imo, our results against the Watfords of the world are poor. 

I'm beginning to wonder what we do in the summer if we go up as well, i think it's becoming clearer we have very few (Krul, Emi, Todd, Max, Gibson) who would be good enough to see us competing in the Premier right now. 

....perhaps this is all part of Delia's masterplan NOT to get promoted this season...." look Daniel,we really don't want to play against all those big bullies in that big league.We're much happier where we are."🤣🤣😂