Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

All time Norwich Cult XI

yep why not - players that I have seen that have always stuck in my memory for some such bit of skill or magic.  Sorry if my humble opinion does not meet with your high and mighty approval.

Tricky, very tricky, but these are mine.

Gunn

Culverhouse         Bruce      McKay         Bowen

Fox                     Phelan      Crook            Eadie

Fleck         Sutton

Subs:  Green, Huckerby, Mendham, Townsend, Roberts

======================================================================

I don''t think anyone could not have Gunn, Culverhouse or Bowen in their Cult XI.  There hasn''t been any player (including Dury, Green, Kenton et al) who have consistantly played to the standards of these three week in week out.

Centre Backs are trickier, there''s not much in it between Bruce, Watson, Butterworth, McKay, Newsome, Polston.  They all contributed during our most successful times, in many different ways.  I have gone for two true leaders in Bruce and McKay.

Leads me on to the Midfield, jez, this was hard.  You have to have the mix of sheer workrate, undoubted skill, people who''ll make that killer pass, not shy to get stuck in, leadership.  That''s why I''ve plumped for two skillful wide men in Fox and Eadie, give them the ball and they would run at the opposition and frighten the life out of them, and they both new how to cross and knew where the back of the net was.  Ian Crook is probably the most visionary Midfielder we have ever had - with Crook pulling the strings and passing the ball you need your workman like partner, somene who''ll mop up after you.  Now I could have chosen from the list of Safri, Francis, Townsend, Holt, Goss, Johnson (Andy), Williams, but I have plumped for Phelan - he knew how to play, he chipped in with the odd crucial goal or 5, a true leader.

Upfront, again, very hard.  Drinkell, Sutton, Roberts, Bellamy, Ward, McKenzie, Channon, Deehan, Allen, Ekoko, Fashanu all contributed to a hatful of goals in their times, some crucial, some spectacular.  I have gone for Fleck and Sutton.  The true little and large, who bagged us a hatful of goals - you give them service, they''ll give you goals (something today''s player need to learn).

To be honoured in the Cult status, none of my players left under a cloud from NCFC, in truth most of them wanted to stay, but for whatever reason they were sold, and gave us the financial gain we needed at the time.  Sutton for £5m, Fleck Â£3m, Phelan £1m, Eadie £3m, Fox, £2.5m  all contributed with their hearts on their sleeves until the money men couldn''t resist anymore.

A team of true Cult Heros. 

[quote user="3canaries"]

Tricky, very tricky, but these are mine.

Gunn

Culverhouse         Bruce      McKay         Bowen

Fox                     Phelan      Crook            Eadie

Fleck         Sutton

Subs:  Green, Huckerby, Mendham, Townsend, Roberts

======================================================================

I don''t think anyone could not have Gunn, Culverhouse or Bowen in their Cult XI.  There hasn''t been any player (including Dury, Green, Kenton et al) who have consistantly played to the standards of these three week in week out.

Centre Backs are trickier, there''s not much in it between Bruce, Watson, Butterworth, McKay, Newsome, Polston.  They all contributed during our most successful times, in many different ways.  I have gone for two true leaders in Bruce and McKay.

Leads me on to the Midfield, jez, this was hard.  You have to have the mix of sheer workrate, undoubted skill, people who''ll make that killer pass, not shy to get stuck in, leadership.  That''s why I''ve plumped for two skillful wide men in Fox and Eadie, give them the ball and they would run at the opposition and frighten the life out of them, and they both new how to cross and knew where the back of the net was.  Ian Crook is probably the most visionary Midfielder we have ever had - with Crook pulling the strings and passing the ball you need your workman like partner, somene who''ll mop up after you.  Now I could have chosen from the list of Safri, Francis, Townsend, Holt, Goss, Johnson (Andy), Williams, but I have plumped for Phelan - he knew how to play, he chipped in with the odd crucial goal or 5, a true leader.

Upfront, again, very hard.  Drinkell, Sutton, Roberts, Bellamy, Ward, McKenzie, Channon, Deehan, Allen, Ekoko, Fashanu all contributed to a hatful of goals in their times, some crucial, some spectacular.  I have gone for Fleck and Sutton.  The true little and large, who bagged us a hatful of goals - you give them service, they''ll give you goals (something today''s player need to learn).

To be honoured in the Cult status, none of my players left under a cloud from NCFC, in truth most of them wanted to stay, but for whatever reason they were sold, and gave us the financial gain we needed at the time.  Sutton for £5m, Fleck Â£3m, Phelan £1m, Eadie £3m, Fox, £2.5m  all contributed with their hearts on their sleeves until the money men couldn''t resist anymore.

A team of true Cult Heros. 

[/quote]

None of my players left under a cloud......??????!!!!!!?????

Steve Bruce.....up there with Marshall and Francis in anyone''s book.

On that previous note if we are talking about cult figures we cannot miss out the likes of: Martin Peters, Ashman, Bryceland, Barry Butler, Bly, Paddon, Stringer, Kevin Reeves, Allcock, Duncan Forbes, MacDougall, Drinkell.

I know few of us will have witnessed all/any of these playing at Carrow Road but if we are using the terms ''club cult players'' they have to be mentioned at least ... and no doubt numerous others (Townsend? not here for long but went for a big price and played superbly in yellow).

OTBC

[quote user="Sir Quinny"]yep why not - players that I have seen that have always stuck in my memory for some such bit of skill or magic.  Sorry if my humble opinion does not meet with your high and mighty approval.[/quote] Someone''s a bit touchy! I was a fan of Anselin and Fuglestad but they didn''t play much for Norwich and I was surprised that you had put them in a cult 11 over some of the past stars Norwich have had. I couldn''t think of anything they had done to become ''cult'' players!