Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Never looked like scoring

Pukki has lost it as he did last season and idah seemed to offer so much more when he came on last season but looked poor tonight , 1 shot on target is not going to keep us in top two for long maybe Soto needs a chance as a sub at least , just hope others start to falter as well 

4 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Pukki has lost it as he did last season and idah seemed to offer so much more when he came on last season but looked poor tonight , 1 shot on target is not going to keep us in top two for long maybe Soto needs a chance as a sub at least , just hope others start to falter as well 

It won't be a popular opinion I guess, but Pukki has lost his mojo. The one relatively clear chance he had tonight, he seemed to tentatively side-foot it wide rather than put his laces through it.

The guy's a bloody legend, but he really doesn't look on his game at the moment. We've got five games against lower placed opponents coming up, certainly seems like a logical argument to get Soto involved somehow?

Obviously Farke will have seen him in training and if he doesn't rate him then I trust his judgement... looking at our next five games though, you'd expect us to make a lot more chances, and someone needs to take them! Ultimately I trust Farke with the decision, but Pukki does look a little off colour at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd think twice before writing Pukki off and saying he's 'lost it'. A lot of people, myself included, were saying this last season but he has come good again this season and probably will again.

Hasn't he just come back from injury too? His game really relies on that extra sharpness, which doesn't just appear as soon as he starts

That said, we had loads of half decent chances tonight, more so than Swansea IMO, yet we proceeded to smash every shot over the bar.

Perhaps a case of trying too hard, but our finishing has been nothing short of terrible for the majority of the season.

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

Perhaps a case of trying too hard, but our finishing has been nothing short of terrible for the majority of the season.

And Pukki has been up front for most of the season. The guy needs a break, Hugill was just starting to come good when he got his injury, I know Teemu is a legend but he’s not undroppable and the stats don’t lie, our shot conversion this season has been pathetic.

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

And Pukki has been up front for most of the season. The guy needs a break, Hugill was just starting to come good when he got his injury, I know Teemu is a legend but he’s not undroppable and the stats don’t lie, our shot conversion this season has been pathetic.

I don't think Pukki would have started had Hugill not got injured - Jordan was basically tailor made for the two previous games.

Personally I think we should have invested in a striker in January, but perhaps it just wasn't feasible. We really have had **** luck with injuries this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Ian said:

I don't think Pukki would have started had Hugill not got injured - Jordan was basically tailor made for the two previous games.

Personally I think we should have invested in a striker in January, but perhaps it just wasn't feasible. We really have had **** luck with injuries this season.

The problem seems to be that those we have added either aren’t ready (invested in youth) or can’t cut the mustard (lower league punts from abroad). We failed to add any actual quality to our attack (we have added it defensively) and now we’re seeing the results. Hourihane scoring against us tonight took the cake for me, he’s exactly the player we needed to fill the 10 spot this season, instead he’s gone to our promotion rivals and scored against us. So annoying. 

Pukki is not being well served with passes at the moment, one or two a game and that isn't enough for most strikers to get their juices running. It was only a few matches ago that Pukki looked so, so sharp - and I'd expect him to get that sharpness back, soon I hope. As for the rest,  Placheta is still adapting, Cantwell is not quite doing enough quality creating, Mclean  had a mixed match.......Hernandez not in full flow yet.......Vrancic I thought did quite well when he came on, Idah looked quite effective and it might have been better starting him instead of Placheta.

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The problem seems to be that those we have added either aren’t ready (invested in youth) or can’t cut the mustard (lower league punts from abroad). We failed to add any actual quality to our attack (we have added it defensively) and now we’re seeing the results. Hourihane Stillscoring against us tonight took the cake for me, he’s exactly the player we needed to fill the 10 spot this season, instead he’s gone to our promotion rivals and scored against us. So annoying. 

As soon as that misplaced pass from Kenny got knocked square, I went into a Hulk rage... I had this split-second knowledge that Hourihane was going to f**king smash it in. I was swearing even before he hit it.

Still... 19 games to go, five winnable games to come... trust in our lads and trust in Farke. Who wants to be the first person to say 'I told you so, I saw the choke coming'? Well done if you're right, but I believe this squad of players has enough about them to ensure we're in the top two come May.

To be honest, it's the fringe players that are my scapegoat tonight. Pukki wasn't great but when was the last time we had someone really put the pressure on the first choice starting 11 with a quality performance?

Onel, Idah, Dowell, PP all look short of quality and don't look like they are actually contributing anything of note at the moment. Hugill has been decent recently in fairness and his injury came at the wrong time for him as I think he was really putting the pressure on Pukki for 1st choice.

It was always going to be tough to assert ourselves on any of the last 3 opponents who are known for their solid organisation in particular but now the free hits are over and the excuses can stop. If this team is serious about promotion then now is the time to start dominating games again like we did in small spells previously. Weirdly enough, I don't think it's ever really fully clicked offensively this season yet.

6 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

To be honest, it's the fringe players that are my scapegoat tonight. Pukki wasn't great but when was the last time we had someone really put the pressure on the first choice starting 11 with a quality performance?

Onel, Idah, Dowell, PP all look short of quality and don't look like they are actually contributing anything of note at the moment. Hugill has been decent recently in fairness and his injury came at the wrong time for him as I think he was really putting the pressure on Pukki for 1st choice.

It was always going to be tough to assert ourselves on any of the last 3 opponents who are known for their solid organisation in particular but now the free hits are over and the excuses can stop. If this team is serious about promotion then now is the time to start dominating games again like we did in small spells previously. Weirdly enough, I don't think it's ever really fully clicked offensively this season yet.

First three of those all coming off the back of lengthy spells out injured. Get them back up to speed and I'm sure they'll perform better than they have done tonight.

Pukki is not the problem. Sure he looks out of form and his touch has deserted him a bit, but I think that teams have found us out so to speak. They defend in numbers and with discipline and it works as we seem intent at the moment on trying to score the perfect goal. Always 1 or 2 passes too many. The possession stats are misleading as teams are now letting us have the ball in areas that don't hurt them and they have clicked that we overplay at times, so sit and wait

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Pukki is not the problem. Sure he looks out of form and his touch has deserted him a bit, but I think that teams have found us out so to speak. They defend in numbers and with discipline and it works as we seem intent at the moment on trying to score the perfect goal. Always 1 or 2 passes too many. The possession stats are misleading as teams are now letting us have the ball in areas that don't hurt them and they have clicked that we overplay at times, so sit and wait

Whilst I agree with you that we have other issues, we would have won the last two games had Pukki been in anything like his form of two seasons ago. He had about four decent chances at Millwall and two in the first half last night that you would expect him to score and he completely messed all of them up. The thing with him is that because he often tries to “pass” the ball in rather than leathering it, when he’s off form some of his efforts at goal look particularly poor.

9 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It won't be a popular opinion I guess, but Pukki has lost his mojo. The one relatively clear chance he had tonight, he seemed to tentatively side-foot it wide rather than put his laces through it.

The guy's a bloody legend, but he really doesn't look on his game at the moment. We've got five games against lower placed opponents coming up, certainly seems like a logical argument to get Soto involved somehow?

Obviously Farke will have seen him in training and if he doesn't rate him then I trust his judgement... looking at our next five games though, you'd expect us to make a lot more chances, and someone needs to take them! Ultimately I trust Farke with the decision, but Pukki does look a little off colour at the moment.

You watch a lot of pukki goals for us and many of them are side footers rather than laces... 

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

You watch a lot of pukki goals for us and many of them are side footers rather than laces... 

Yeah, fair point mate.

Its not just Pukki though is it? Our chance creation whether people on here accept it or not is very good and right up there at the top of the league. Our shot conversion is poor comparatively. Our midfield need to step up big time with goals. Emi has, the rest not so much.

I think we made a mistake not getting in a third experienced striker to compete with Pukki and Hugil and letting Idah out on loan. He’s clearly got talent, but he just looks too naive and inexperienced for the amount of game time he’s getting IMO. He can’t do the learning he needs to do as sub with minimal minutes chasing games. 

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think we made a mistake not getting in a third experienced striker to compete with Pukki and Hugil and letting Idah out on loan. He’s clearly got talent, but he just looks too naive and inexperienced for the amount of game time he’s getting IMO. He can’t do the learning he needs to do as sub with minimal minutes chasing games. 

Like Josip Drmic's? 

11 minutes ago, Olano said:

Like Josip Drmic's? 

Oh no, here we go again...

• Haha 1

Poor show and won't even make the playoffs at this rate. One lonely forward is not going to make hardly any goal scoring chances. Even when the opportunity arises most are afraid to shoot at goal, and instead hold onto the ball too long and end up losing it. DF needs to change this style of play as it is so predictable.

Short term Pukki is probably the best of a pretty ordinary set of strikers by championship standards. He is not what he was. and i no longer think he is a first choice striker for a club wanting automatic promotion .Hugill has potential to  challenge him for the starting berth but gets injured at times when otherwise he may be getting the nod. For me  there should be younger better strikers at the club than Pukki and i would see him making valuable contributions filling in and coming off the bench like Billy Sharpe has

Edited by Yorkshire Canary

9 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, fair point mate.

I dont know why he always seems to side foot.. sometimes I scream at the TV.... f***ing smash the thing. If he did i feel he would scored more goals

• Like 1