***** Official Pant Wetters Thread v Swansea *****

HOW ARE WE STILL TOP OF THE TABLE

HOW ARE WE STILL 15 POINTS CLEAR OF THE PLAYOFFS

WE SHOULD BE BOTTOM PLAYING LIKE THAT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

😡😡😡

Good enough?

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

We will end up in a Play Off spot and get to the final with no fans at Wembley.

Wembly will be full of old codgers with their vaccination certificates.

Edited by Van wink

I should admit I had us finishing 4th as the season started (in Diane's league predictor). I think having seen us now for a good half season that is about right. At this moment it does anyway.

Brentford look the best of all the teams. They are dynamic. Swansea look well coached but not a stand out team. Reading could be the dark house. Watford flatter to deceive and so far, Bournemouth have floundered.

Just a few thoughts:

(a) we have have recovered from relegation and battled to the top, itself a good sign of a resilient team. Especially so given our terrible injuries a month or two back.

(b) we have cured our defensive frailty but somehow we are less dangerous in attack.

(c) we have tried to formulate a new team but rarely have we reached the heights I had hoped for. Posters have asked when we might move from 3rd gear. I wonder if we have a top gear because we ought to have found it by now.

(d) our possession based game means we are patient but spend a lot of time making passes from defence or the midfield back to defence. We then don't have the surprise fast attacks that unnerve other teams. All a bit predictable if at least solid.

If we do fall out of the top two I wouldn't bet against us getting back into the automatic places. Momentum has been lost right now. It's our flat spot. Yet...perhaps in the scheme of things, it's better to have it now than the last 10 matches and run in. That assumes we are able to turn this round. I think we have the capacity.

If sport is going to have crowds again as reported then the 'twelfth man' will help this team. 

It's not over yet. And we might see a very solid victory against Stoke in a week's time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I should admit I had us finishing 4th as the season started (in Diane's league predictor). I think having seen us now for a good half season that is about right. At this moment it does anyway.

Brentford look the best of all the teams. They are dynamic. Swansea look well coached but not a stand out team. Reading could be the dark house. Watford flatter to deceive and so far, Bournemouth have floundered.

Just a few thoughts:

(a) we have have recovered from relegation and battled to the top, itself a good sign of a resilient team. Especially so given our terrible injuries a month or two back.

(b) we have cured our defensive frailty but somehow we are less dangerous in attack.

(c) we have tried to formulate a new team but rarely have we reached the heights I had hoped for. Posters have asked when we might move from 3rd gear. I wonder if we have a top gear because we ought to have found it by now.

(d) our possession based game means we are patient but spend a lot of time making passes from defence or the midfield back to defence. We then don't have the surprise fast attacks that unnerve other teams. All a bit predictable if at least solid.

If we do fall out of the top two I wouldn't bet against us getting back into the automatic places. Momentum has been lost right now. It's our flat spot. Yet...perhaps in the scheme of things, it's better to have it now than the last 10 matches and run in. That assumes we are able to turn this round. I think we have the capacity.

If sport is going to have crowds again as reported then the 'twelfth man' will help this team. 

It's not over yet. And we might see a very solid victory against Stoke in a week's time. 

Thanks, sonyc. This is a really outstanding post.

Our next five games are against Stoke, Coventry, Rotherham, Birmingham and Wycombe, and we have an eight-day break before the first of those. I'm not saying we're going to smash it and win all five; there are definitely concerns in the way we're playing at the moment. But we're faced with a pretty benign run of fixtures, and with Emi back there's no reason why we shouldn't put the pressure back on Swansea and Brentford over the coming weeks.

Deep breaths, folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anything other than promotion this season is a complete and utter failure for both Webber and Farke and will condemn us to a slow and painful decline. Especially after we got ourselves into the position we were in a couple of weeks ago. No excuses. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks, sonyc. This is a really outstanding post.

Our next five games are against Stoke, Coventry, Rotherham, Birmingham and Wycombe, and we have an eight-day break before the first of those. I'm not saying we're going to smash it and win all five; there are definitely concerns in the way we're playing at the moment. But we're faced with a pretty benign run of fixtures, and with Emi back there's no reason why we shouldn't put the pressure back on Swansea and Brentford over the coming weeks.

Deep breaths, folks.

I even worry about those 5 games the way we're playing at the moment. A game like Swansea was coming though wasn't it? We were flattering to deceive a bit. I think we needed something to jolt us. Hopefully this latest defeat will achieve that.

We are not the swashbuckling 18/19 team this time around (though our play is sometimes a good watch). So if we do cement a top two place (surely the aim) it will be by doing it differently.

Do you know, I wouldn't put it past us to have a big result versus Stoke (scoring 3 or 4). I can't say why I have that sense either. 

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I even worry about those 5 games the way we're playing at the moment. A game like Swansea was coming though wasn't it? We were flattering to deceive a bit. I think we needed something to jolt us. Hopefully this latest defeat will achieve that.

We are not the swashbuckling 18/19 team this time around (though our play is sometimes a good watch). So if we do cement a top two place (surely the aim) it will be by doing it differently.

Do you know, I wouldn't put it past us to have a big result versus Stoke (scoring 3 or 4). I can't say why I have that sense either. 

A few weeks ago there were threads saying that we were better than 2018/19.

Now we've lost our mojo, we're not a patch on the side of 2018/19.

Two years ago, people complained that our defence wasn't solid enough.

Now, people are complaining that our attack isn't productive enough.

Who wins the Championship with a brilliant attack that scores 2+ goals a game, and a brilliant defence that concedes less than a goal a game? Find me one example.

Maybe this management game is actually quite difficult, and Daniel Farke is doing a pretty good job? Just a thought.

• Like 1

"Who wins the Championship with a brilliant attack that scores 2+ goals a game, and a brilliant defence that concedes less than a goal a game? Find me one example"

Well @Feedthewolf.....Brentford are not far off being that kind of team (played 26, conceded 26 and scored 48 not far from 2 goals a game). They've been a joy to watch. And for a good few seasons too. Never been in the PL either. Toney was THE best buy I think. 

Edited by sonyc

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

"Who wins the Championship with a brilliant attack that scores 2+ goals a game, and a brilliant defence that concedes less than a goal a game? Find me one example"

Well @Feedthewolf.....Brentford are not far off being that kind of team (played 26, conceded 26 and scored 48 not far from 2 goals a game). They've been a joy to watch. And for a good few seasons too. Never been in the PL either. Toney was THE best buy I think. 

The bit in bold kind of justifies my point, though, doesn't it?

I've got good mates who are Brentford fans, and had a brilliant time being shown round the 'four corners' of Griffin Park when Madders gave us the 1-0 win a couple of years back. Brentford look great this season, and if I could choose two teams to go up it'd be us and Brentford. But ultimately, they've never gone up... and they haven''t done yet.

Long way to go, and I genuinely believe we're in a brutal three-way fight for promotion. Just seems a shame that so many of our fans seem to have given up that fight already! What would Daniel think of them?! 🙂

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

So far. If they keep that up for the whole season, fair enough, but we're not even 60% through yet...

1 minute ago, Ian said:

So far. If they keep that up for the whole season, fair enough, but we're not even 60% through yet...

And there we have it.

Our next five games: Stoke, Coventry, Rotherham, Birmingham, Wycombe.

If we're still outside the top two after those games, let's talk. In the meantime, please let's trust in Daniel. If you're in any doubt, just watch his 12-minute response to the question about our lack of attacking intent.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Just a few thoughts:

Have we? 

Or are we just playing vastly inferior teams. 

I'd take Godfrey and Lewis back in a heartbeat. 

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 1

If we drew every game 0-0 would we still make the playoffs? 

Two 0-0s in the playoffs followed by a Tim Krul shootout saving masterclass. 

Sees us to Wembley. 

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Have we? 

Or are we just play vastly inferior teams. 

I'd take Godfrey and Lewis back in a heartbeat. 

Not certain about Lewis at the moment, but of course I'd take Godfrey back in a heartbeat. Did you see his perfomance for Everton the other night?! So happy for the lad. And that's basically the way we roll nowadays; Emi will leave, Todd and Max will leave... just a case of when and to whom. Nobody had heard of Emi when we sold Madders, how could we possibly ever replace Madders when we finished in mid-table and he was so far above everyone else in our squad?

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not certain about Lewis at the moment, but of course I'd take Godfrey back in a heartbeat. Did you see his perfomance for Everton the other night?! So happy for the lad. And that's basically the way we roll nowadays; Emi will leave, Todd and Max will leave... just a case of when and to whom. Nobody had heard of Emi when we sold Madders, how could we possibly ever replace Madders when we finished in mid-table and he was so far above everyone else in our squad?

He's been criminally underutilised in a team that makes Chris Hughtons teams look like all out attackers. 

Yeah, super happy for Ben he's at one of the genuine big clubs and thriving. 

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

He's been criminally underutilised in a team that makes Chris Hughtons teams look like all out attackers. 

Yeah, super happy for Ben he's at one of the genuine big clubs and thriving. 

Totally feel for Jamal, and hope Newcastle get in a new manager who will play to his strengths. But Godfrey is loving life at the moment, and Jamal is struggling.

Despite the current poor run of results City are still top and averaging two points a game which is promotion form, given the next few games are against lower opposition I'd start Idah to see what he can do as Pukki looks devoid of confidence at the moment. 

This will look like hindsight. I should have posted at the time I had the thought! A few weeks ago some posters were saying we would murder a side soon, and I mentally demurred. That isn't really, for good or ill, the way we are set up and the way we play.

This isn't at all a perfect comparison (not least because we don't defend the same way) but it is not unlike Italian football of that era when teams aimed to win 1-0.  We are content to not bombard the opposition goal but play the ball around loking for that perfect moment.

It is the polar opposite of the old Wimbledon POMO theory of getting the ball in the opposition penalty area as often as possible and hoping the pressure will lead to a goal. A plan with very few moving parts and workable even if individuals have a loss of form. By contrast our plan involves loads of moving parts and is at risk if key individuals lose form or are unavailable.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This will look like hindsight. I should have posted at the time I had the thought! A few weeks ago some posters were saying we would murder a side soon, and I mentally demurred. That isn't really, for good or ill, the way we are set up and the way we play.

This isn't at all a perfect comparison (not least because we don't defend the same way) but it is not unlike Italian football of that era when teams aimed to win 1-0.  We are content to not bombard the opposition goal but play the ball around loking for that perfect moment.

It is the polar opposite of the old Wimbledon POMO theory of getting the ball in the opposition penalty area as often as possible and hoping the pressure will lead to a goal. A plan with very few moving parts and workable even if individuals have a loss of form. By contrast our plan involves loads of moving parts and is at risk if key individuals lose form or are unavailable.

Totally agree - our issue is that we seem so reliant on Pukki and Emi with very little quality depth in the squad and nobody producing at #10.

8 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Anything other than promotion this season is a complete and utter failure for both Webber and Farke and will condemn us to a slow and painful decline. Especially after we got ourselves into the position we were in a couple of weeks ago. No excuses. 

Here we go again. Jim's predictions.

Its ok, he gets them wrong most of the time.

7 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

A few weeks ago there were threads saying that we were better than 2018/19.

Now we've lost our mojo, we're not a patch on the side of 2018/19.

Two years ago, people complained that our defence wasn't solid enough.

Now, people are complaining that our attack isn't productive enough.

Who wins the Championship with a brilliant attack that scores 2+ goals a game, and a brilliant defence that concedes less than a goal a game? Find me one example.

Maybe this management game is actually quite difficult, and Daniel Farke is doing a pretty good job? Just a thought.

Not in the last three games he’s not. Been out manoeuvred by the coaches of all of our last three opponents and suddenly is messing around with the team and doesn’t seem to know our best line up. Placheta should be nowhere near the side, a horrific player. And Rupp is an issue, or more accurately Farkes obsession with playing Rupp alongside Skipp is an issue. It absolutely 100% does not work and must be ditched immediately.

Throw in Pukkis complete loss of form, the fact we don’t have an adequate back up striker and our ability to give the ball away in suicidal areas trying to play it out from the back and it’s been a frustrating three games.

still in our hands and I think we will revived but we need to regroup. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Here we go again. Jim's predictions.

Its ok, he gets them wrong most of the time.

It’s not a prediction is it. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s not a prediction is it. 

It is a not a prediction in the sense that if it doesn't happen then it absolutely wasn't but it is a prediction in the sense that if it does happen then it very definitely was.🤓

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

HOW ARE WE STILL TOP OF THE TABLE

HOW ARE WE STILL 15 POINTS CLEAR OF THE PLAYOFFS

WE SHOULD BE BOTTOM PLAYING LIKE THAT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

😡😡😡

Good enough?

We're actually only 4 points clear of the play-offs, or did you mean 15 clear of 7th?

I'm splitting hairs a bit, I know.

Edited by Paint Me Yellow

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not in the last three games he’s not. Been out manoeuvred by the coaches of all of our last three opponents and suddenly is messing around with the team and doesn’t seem to know our best line up. Placheta should be nowhere near the side, a horrific player. And Rupp is an issue, or more accurately Farkes obsession with playing Rupp alongside Skipp is an issue. It absolutely 100% does not work and must be ditched immediately.

Throw in Pukkis complete loss of form, the fact we don’t have an adequate back up striker and our ability to give the ball away in suicidal areas trying to play it out from the back and it’s been a frustrating three games.

still in our hands and I think we will revived but we need to regroup. 

Disagree with being out maneuvered by Cooper, last night. Swansea's chances (the 2 goals and Lowe and Hourihane's shots) all came about  by our errors. We played the better football and Swansea didn't create anything of note, themselves.