lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Swansea*****

This kind of reminds me last season.

Moments of good play but no end result, giving the ball away and getting punished.

Pukki is out of form (again). Needs saying.

Just now, Samwam27 said:

Yes but not for 8 games now!

Today he should've had some of his shots on goal for sure. In many matches it has also been lots due service. He is not kind of player that is on his best against bus park defense with slow build up.  That is actually game where midfielders get chances more often. Today the first half was his kind of game and he looked pretty dangerous getting two decent chances of which I'd hoped better finishing. 

2 minutes ago, CanaryLegend said:

Vrancic should start he’s only one with quality on the bell and looks like making something happen 

He started the last 2 games and was utterly awful. Today is a wake up call for many of the players on that pitch. Fake now needs to lift them and get them playing like 2018/19 again. 

The thing is with only a few minutes left, we are still trying to score the perfect goal

Why doesn't someone take responsibility and do what they think is best rather than continually toeing the line and sticking to "the plan" that has just failed for last 3 games and 80 minutes

• Like 1

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

He started the last 2 games and was utterly awful. Today is a wake up call for many of the players on that pitch. Fake now needs to lift them and get them playing like 2018/19 again. 

This is kind of the issue isn't it? Apart from maybe Hernandez based on tonight, who of our players on the bench are really pushing the current first team for their place?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

Is Josh Martin injured. Would like to see him given a chance

He played for the U23s tonight. 

We'll bounce back, still fancy us to finish above Swansea. Difficult week, and really good have done without this game as the 3rd in 7 days. 

Surely the side needs mixing up a bit. Buendia, Hernandez and possibly Dowell behind Pukki. Drop Placheta and Cantwell. Stick Mario next to skip and we'll improve, I'm sure of it. I think this baron run also shows how important Steipermann is to this system at Champs level. 

Every chance we'll string a run of wins together after a break and a dust down. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Our strikers need to get back to basics, starting with the below. 

image.png

image.jpeg.23ba9c0b9ed136b9969b7fba5c578d31.jpeg    Still miss with this......

• Haha 1

Line drawn.

No reason not to go five wins on the bounce for the rest of February.

No more tippy tappy in training - shooting practice only.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'm assuming by 'City' you mean Swansea yeah? 

Definitely not. Look at the stats. In all honesty what did Swansea create! We gave them two goals. Poor decisions dion making and no end product cost city the match.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He wasnt utterly awful. He was dropped tonight, in favour and McLean / Cantwell and we end up losing for the first time in ages. 

Just now, City 2nd said:

Definitely not. Look at the stats. In all honesty what did Swansea create! We gave them two goals. Poor decisions dion making and no end product cost city the match.

Look at the stats? Look at the game! They were comfortably the better team, we huffed and puffed but they kept us at arms length with ease. Having loads of the ball near the centre circle and blasting 10 shots miles over the bar means nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

We'll bounce back, still fancy us to finish above Swansea. Difficult week, and really good have done without this game as the 3rd in 7 days. 

Surely the side needs mixing up a bit. Buendia, Hernandez and possibly Dowell behind Pukki. Drop Placheta and Cantwell. Stick Mario next to skip and we'll improve, I'm sure of it. I think this baron run also shows how important Steipermann is to this system at Champs level. 

Every chance we'll string a run of wins together after a break and a dust down. 

Agree dropping Placheta, but Mario did not do much good there and Cantwell was likely our best performer today..

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Its essentially a completely different group of players.

Stiepermann, Leitner, Trybull, Godfrey, Zimmermann, Rhodes, Lewis.

Look at our starting XI today, there's only Krul, Aarons, Pukki, McLean and Cantwell left, and a lot of people argued that we were better with Leitner in the team than McLean that season.

I fear that we've gone backwards in terms of quality, and those levels aren't possible with this group of players. 

If anybody needed convincing, the last 4 games have proved beyond any doubt that having the lions share of possession does not mean that you have played well

• Like 1

McLean had been playing well until his Covid infection.. he was appalling tonight. Looked comfortable until the Krul error and then shortly after the McLean error. Swansea looked comfortable, we looked like the championship Spurs.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is kind of the issue isn't it? Apart from maybe Hernandez based on tonight, who of our players on the bench are really pushing the current first team for their place?

When some like Dowell only get 7 minutes plus stoppages against a Swansea team who sat back and let us have the ball in midfield, how will we know. Others seem to get chance after chance like Placheta.

It's probably too soon after the game but people saying that Swansea were comfortably the better team are completely wrong. We gave them two goals. As last season, you can't do that and expect to win games - they didn't have to do anything much to win, just let us make the errors.

Heads are down. Supporters are mouthing off. Now we'll find out how good Farke and his coaches are. We have 4 difficult games left (all at home) and the rest are winnable. Win next week and we are back on 2 points per game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It should be nil nil, we’ve arguably been the better team bar two suicidal goals. You don’t give a 2 nil lead to the team with the best defence in the league. 

However, we clearly need a change of personnel from the start. Rupp and Skipp is far too defensive. Placheta is not good enough. Hernandez took on more players in 30 mins than PP has done in two games. Pukki hasn’t been great but needs some help up top and looked much better with Idah on. Given Pukki looks like he couldn’t hit a barn door, maybe Idah up top with Pukki feeding off him.

Vrancic needs to play in midfield, not number 10. Carries the ball forward so we’ll and is so positive, he keeps possession but always looks to go forward. His set pieces are a cut above as well. Placheta basically gave the ball away with every set piece until he went off.

Emi is so far ahead of Todd it’s unreal. He’s been really poor and I think we only need to play one of them, so it’s Emi. Josh Martin also looked decent before being dropped and I’m not sure why he’s so far behind Todd.

I thought we played alright so not a big deal but Farke can’t keep playing players that are massively out of form. We don’t look lively enough.  There’s no point having all these players available unless Farke is going to use them.

We’re top and we’ve now got some winnable games so it’s over to Farke....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, unique said:

Line drawn.

No reason not to go five wins on the bounce for the rest of February.

No more tippy tappy in training - shooting practice only.

No more larking around in training either. Start fcuking shooting practice.

A turning point tonight. Swansea are nothing special and the rest of the league is the poorest in years. No reason we can't get auto, if the players want it bad enough.

1 minute ago, Clint said:

It should be nil nil, we’ve arguably been the better team bar two suicidal goals. You don’t give a 2 nil lead to the team with the best defence in the league. 

However, we clearly need a change of personnel from the start. Rupp and Skipp is far too defensive. Placheta is not good enough. Hernandez took on more players in 30 mins than PP has done in two games. Pukki hasn’t been great but needs some help up top and looked much better with Idah on. Given Pukki looks like he couldn’t hit a barn door, maybe Idah up top with Pukki feeding off him.

Vrancic needs to play in midfield, not number 10. Carries the ball forward so we’ll and is so positive, he keeps possession but always looks to go forward. His set pieces are a cut above as well. Placheta basically gave the ball away with every set piece until he went off.

Emi is so far ahead of Todd it’s unreal. He’s been really poor and I think we only need to play one of them, so it’s Emi. Josh Martin also looked decent before being dropped and I’m not sure why he’s so far behind Todd.

I thought we played alright so not a big deal but Farke can’t keep playing players that are massively out of form. We don’t look lively enough.  There’s no point having all these players available unless Farke is going to use them.

We’re top and we’ve now got some winnable games so it’s over to Farke....

Absolutely agree with all of that. Top post. 

I repeat,we are going to regret not adding to our strikeforce in the window.Yes we're still top,but can anyone seriously say,apart from a couple of games,that we have looked really comfortable in any game. We are simply not clinical enough.Think its going to cost us.