Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Tonights referee is Simon Hooper

7 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Just watching Michael Bailey’s report, putting the boot into Simon H for all the non bookings compared with Emi’s

Exactly! compare Emi's second booking to the reckless studs up challenge that connected with Cantwell's shin.

Has to be said though, Mike Dean is currently on a one man crusade to overtake Hooper as the world's worst referee. 

49 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Has to be said though, Mike Dean is currently on a one man crusade to overtake Hooper as the world's worst referee. 

Mike Dean was the referee for the play off final and as a result is the greatest ref of all time 😀

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Can’t resist dragging this up again. Now they demote Hooper to VAR on a basement prem match . Even Hooper can’t c0ck that up ?

Or Can he? 😂

Not sure what Hooper did wrong, to be honest. Mason messed up and they had to disallow the goal. 

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not sure what Hooper did wrong, to be honest. Mason messed up and they had to disallow the goal. 

You’re probably right . I hadn’t really watched it - just heard the Sky guys hammering them both . I just heard them say the “dream team of Lee Mason and Simon Hooper “ which was enough for me 😂

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Can’t resist dragging this up again. Now they demote Hooper to VAR on a basement prem match . Even Hooper can’t c0ck that up ?

Or Can he? 😂

Lee Mason and Simon Hooper. 

Responsible for refereeing in a league worth billions.

I'm pretty sure they treat it as a competition to try and be the baldest, worse-st referee in the country.

Edited by hogesar
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given this thread is back to the front page I assume he had another masterclass today?

It seems that Hooper wasn’t responsible (this time) for calamitous refereeing. His lookalike Lee Mason was . They should have a double act ! 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I wonder how many critics could get around the Cooper test for referees?

I dont know but since Riley put Madley and Coote forward for the international list of referees (presumably as his best options) and they both failed last year, something tells me half these referees would fail if tested tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont know but since Riley put Madley and Coote forward for the international list of referees (presumably as his best options) and they both failed last year, something tells me half these referees would fail if tested tomorrow.

Pretty sure the UEFA test is more stringent than the Cooper one.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Pretty sure the UEFA test is more stringent than the Cooper one.

No idea but I don't think that's necessarily a good advert for the quality of refereeing in this country.

I also think 'how many on here would pass the Cooper test. Well without knowing the ins and outs I reckon I'd fail tomorrow. However if it was a vital part of my career I'd ensure I regularly pass it with flying colours.

On 06/02/2021 at 08:39, Graham Paddons Beard said:

This thread is about Simon Hooper not the laudable job amateur refs do in facilitating lower pyramid and youth football.

Hooper is an example of the scarcity of refs allegedly good enough at this level. He is on the select list - a professional referee- making it back onto Prem games have twice been removed from prem appointments . Most infamously for us was the Palace game in 2015 (his first ever) where his performance was so bad he was immediately removed and did not officiate in the Prem again until 2018 . In 2018 He did 2 games . Why only 2 ? We can only guess

From 2020 he is on the Prem. if you look at his appointments you will see a general lack of getting the “top six “ teams . Unusually for an experienced ref  on the list, he still gets more EFL games than prem. This suggests POGMOL still don’t rate him after all of these years . 

Go to soccerbase.com and compare him to , say , Andre Marriner who rarely steps down from the Prem . 

Hooper enjoys support of POGMOL but only to a point . As I say they are not giving him the big games . 

Hooper tries to climb the ladder by giving percentage decisions . The fouls on Pukki and their striker last night that should be pens ,  are given on the half way line . He gave  more decisions to the defending team in their half because it is less controversial. He missed a clear corner simply because he had his angles wrong . 

He was inconsistent in his yellows. His “speaking to cooper” made him look weak. He had been called by the 4th , and did nothing - only a slight smirk as he walked away. 

Among 22 elite athletes he looks ridiculously overweight and unfit and more often than not is behind play - the refs call this “reffing from the centre circle”. 

Hoopers only saving grace is that there aren’t enough Refs on a standard acceptable to POGMOL so they have to stick with him on Champ and lower reach Prem. 

Staggered to see Hooper isn’t on the FA Cup final 😂