horsefly

India v England

A proper good old fashioned test match. Or "one for the purists" I'm sure the papers will say. personally I'm rather pleased to see Sibley and Root showing the dedication to build a test innings on patient graft and craft. And boy! what a phenomenal year Root is having.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant batting, that session just after lunch India were applying pressure with good bowling, nice to see two batsmen tough it out.

Great to see it back on terrestrial tv too. As all international sport should be!

• Like 1

Root sublime, but what a great innings from Sibley too. Has done exactly what was needed (especially when we lost 2 quick wickets). For sometime we have lacked an opener who is prepared to stick there and see us through difficult phases. Should do his confidence the world of good following his previous 50.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Decent delivery and kept a tad low, unlucky.

Yep! I think Anderson will be looking happily at a few that have swung out there today

• Like 1

Take a bow Joe Root; highest EVER score for a batsman playing in his 100th test. The man is a run machine.

Just now, horsefly said:

And now a six to bring up his 200!!!

I could do better.😀

Well done Joe.👏👏👏

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

I could do better.😀

With one hand? or would that be pushing it?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

One hand, no bat.😀

I take it you'll be borrowing Boycott's stick of rhubarb (assuming you can wrest it from the hands of his mother)

Edited by horsefly

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I take it you'll be borrowing Boycott's stick of rhubarb.

🤣🤣

Now there's one commentator I don't miss. Proper marmite.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

🤣🤣

Now there's one commentator I don't miss. Proper marmite.

I was at Trent Bridge when Boycott ran out Randall. If the crowd could have got hold of the Yorkshire prat I think they would have lynched him. Not one of my favorites, especially after the woman beating episode.

• Like 1

If ever there was a perfect example of why you shouldn't spaff your reviews up the wall on merely hopeful appeals, the Butler "catch" behind is it

Close of play on a quintuple Nelson. I shall now have to stand on one leg until resumption of play tomorrow. All true fans will do likewise.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

I was at Trent Bridge when Boycott ran out Randall. If the crowd could have got hold of the Yorkshire prat I think they would have lynched him. Not one of my favorites, especially after the woman beating episode.

Everybody loved Randall. Exceptional fielder too. I vividly remember his brilliant run out of an Aussie backing up (Rick McCosker I think).

He was a real jack in the box in the field and always having fun. I have seen him doing handstands in the field when the play was a bit slow to relieve the bordom. I really loved being in the field more than anything else myself. We used to have a first class umpire on this forum, but sadly he cannot officiate any more.

A real feeling of a proper old fashioned test match about this one, grinding out a big total even the tail end staying in and taking singles.

Wont be easy bowling out the Indian team, they have an average of 40 + up to number eight!

A reminder of the qualifying conditions for whomever meets New Zealand in the World Test Championship 

It all depends on the  India - England series 

England win 3-1, 3-0 or 4-0: England qualifies 

India win 2-1, 2-0, 3-1, 3-0 or 4-0: India qualifies

Any other result: Australia qualifies