Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

EMBARASSED BY THUGS IN THE N&P LOWER

[quote user="greenTshirt"]

Apart from one or two posts, this thread is an embarrassment to the Human Race.

Why should we accept that "this is football" and you''re not going to change it. Why is it just football that you have these problems? And how can you hate someone just because they come from or support Ipswich. It''s like a pantomime.

Some of you need to get a life away from football and look at what''s happening in the world around you.

btw I am a season ticket holder for some years and also was aware of the incident that''s been mentioned.

[/quote]

I agree with you entirely but the fact is it happens, and people get riled, many have had a few drinks, and many are plain idiots....  Yes its not right, but yes if you sit in the home end and rile the home fans (especially at a derby match when tensions are running high) you should expect to get at the very least some banter and barracking from pissed off home fans. Then you just have to hope you aint sitting next to a drunken idiot.....  It shoukldnt happen but it does, so dont rile the home fans and everybody is happy....

What people do, and whether it''s to be expected, is neither here nor there.  It is whether so called civilised people can see that it is not a crime to celebrate a plus performance wherever you are, after all the fan''s are in their own country and are entitled by law to freedom of expression.  It seems to me that yobbo bully boy culture, is to be praised on the football stands, and the ilk can only get their kicks from behaviour that would not be exceptable in any other decent sporting circles.

it just shows how immature and neanderthal some supporters are that they are so intolerant of others.

Sure, it makes sense to remain inconspicuous in such a potentially hostile environment but not everyone can refrain from their impulses.

[quote user="greenTshirt"]

Some of you need to get a life away from football and look at what''s happening in the world around you.

[/quote]I no longer rule my life around Football, I try to make sure i am available for the majority of home games, if something else is happening on that Saturday and Norwich are at home, Football has to take a back seat, I am still a big fan of NCFC even if i not at 100% of the games. At the end of the day if i went to all home games chances are i would be single as my girlfriend would feel she was taking a back seat to football. and before anyone says this is because Norwich are not doing well this season, if Norwich were in the premiership, i would say the same thing, Even though I am moving away from Norfolk soon, no matter how good or bad Norwich are playing I will still renew my season ticket and travel from Chelmsford for the majority of the home games,

If anyone is an Ipswich fan they should get tickets through Ipswich

only.there are 1000s of Norwich fans that would of loved to of gone to

the match and couldnt get a ticket.Its a disgace anyong giving an

Ipswich fan a ticket in my opinion.

Any idiot in the home end of a passionate local derby who decides to cheer when the scum score deserves whatever they get - unless of course we want to sanitise football and take away the passion that I for one love.

That is the typical knuckle-scraping troglodyte post/attitude that gives football supporters a bad name.  What exactly would they deserve Dicky?  Did the Leeds fan who was stabbed in Turkey a few years back "deserve" what he got, just because he didn''t support the local team?  Nobody deserves that.

I think there is more than enough room for rivalry and ribbing without being threatening, or is violence and abuse part of passion that you for one love.

I think neutral areas for home, away and neutral fans is a great idea..... i doubt if id want to be there for the derby but for other games i''d certainly think about it!

Away fans celebrating in home areas only do it for the reaction and if thats what they get then they cant really complain!

There was a lass who was an Ippo fan, sat a few seats away from me. She conducted herself admirably. Didn''t leap up like a fan possessed when ''they'' scored their equaliser........When ''they'' struck the cruel winner - she showed excellent restraint, just grinned like a ''chesire cat.''   Respect to her, and I didn''t have the slightest problem of her being sat among the ''homey''s''

In the Director''s Box, there were a considerable amount of Ippo boardy types, sat around and alongside Delia & Hubby, (I knew they were Ippo''s boardy types - as there was 1 ciggy + 1 well thumbed programme between 7 of them!) when the opposition scored - they leapt around like whirling dervishes on ''aceeeeed!''.....Didn''t see Delia, Mickey Wynn, Chairman Mumbles and Co; brandishing  swordsticks or puttin'' their dukes up and givin'' them the evils!

If a home supporter has a problem or an issue with away supporter''s in and amongst the homey''s......Inform a steward, it''s their responsibilty to sort out the situation! That''s what the stewards are there for.......not for a freebie admission to watch the games or shout at 7 year olds to "SIDDOWN!"..........apparently! ;~)

...because a massive part of our football culture is based on rivalry

and always has been.  I have been to 2 basketball games and a

hockey game in recently in the states, I went to a big game, New York

Knicks vs LA Lakers at Madison square garden and there is absolutely no

rivalry.  The yanks congratulate each other on scored baskets etc

while the game goes on.  I like basketball but watching a game

live is dull in comparison to turning out for a football match.  I

dont want to share my beer with an away fan or tell him how good the

goal was that killed our playoff hopes!!  Football is an

institution and whilst I don''t agree with violence, I absolutely agree

with keeping passion, rivalry and history between clubs it makes for a

much better sport to watch, the Americans do not have a clue how good

watching a football match is. The Ipswich fans deserved abuse sitting

in the Norwich end, they should have been sitting with their own, and

football should definitely not consider mixing fans.

Think back to 1985, Milk cup final, am i right in thinking that the fans were quite happy to mingle with each other before and after the game.I am pretty sure that the play off final had the same atmosphereOk I know that the seating was not mixed. it just annoys be when the attitude is that you should not mix with fans of the opposition.I can remember going to a match when I was 8 ( I am now 28) at Old Trafford and me and my dad spent about an hour before the game sat in the Man Utd end of the ground talking to a father and son and people around us, I was in my green Hummel Norwich tracksuit (you can tell it was the eighties) and there was no sign of any negative commentsSo what has changed in the last 20 years - I now talking in general, I know Norwich V Ipswich is always different.

What did they expect? To be welcomed with opens arms, to have every NCFC fan saying well done when they scored. Wake Up.

FTFW,

So some supporters are "neanderthal and immature", but then other fans simply can''t "refrain from their impulses" which is okay. With this kind of contradiction and double standard in the space of two lines, perhaps you should be speech writing for George W. 

well the norwich fans that were shoutin scum has every right especially in a derby game,  what would it be like if a norwich supporter sat in the scum end so im afraid you have no reason to argue.  offcourse ipswich fans are going to celebrate but celebrating in the norwich end is totally wrong and you should expect abuse its a local derby with tensions running high

just wondering if it actually worth me posting comments, as everything i posted today seems to have been ignoredI know i am not a regular but does this mean my comments count for nothing

[quote user="Eastonpromise"]just wondering if it actually worth me posting comments, as everything i posted today seems to have been ignored

I know i am not a regular but does this mean my comments count for nothing
[/quote]

People are reading your comments. the problem these days is that as with Tottenham last year, sometimes the away fans in teh home terrace actually do purposely wind up the home fans...  Football just isnt as friendly a game as rugby at the matches - there is actually rivalry and its one reason I like football.  I dont Hate ipswich people but do like taking the piss and winding my scummer mates up, and holding my head in shame when we lose....

[quote user="Eastonpromise"]just wondering if it actually worth me posting comments, as everything i posted today seems to have been ignored

I know i am not a regular but does this mean my comments count for nothing
[/quote]

Sorry Eastern, you made a very good point about the Milk Cup final with Sunderland.  Don''t we play for some sort of Cup everytime we play Sunderland now?  I''m sure it''s to remember the friendly spirit between both clubs.

This post really, really depresses me.

It shows all that is still so wrong in football.   So what if it''s an opposition supporter, so what if they''re (even worse - shock horror) an Ipswich fan?

What makes football so special that it allows for all the stupid, bigoted opinions aired above - because it''s football?   That in itself is a worrying commentary on the state of the game.   Would it have made a difference if the Ipswich supporter had been a, say, Plymouth fan...?

I think that some people posting on this thread need to take a long hard look at themselves.   I''ve sat in plenty of away ends - and endured plenty of good natured ribbing but have NEVER been abused or felt unsafe.

Grow up people.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Any idiot in the home end of a passionate local derby who decides to cheer when the scum score deserves whatever they get - unless of course we want to sanitise football and take away the passion that I for one love.

That is the typical knuckle-scraping troglodyte post/attitude that gives football supporters a bad name.  What exactly would they deserve Dicky?  Did the Leeds fan who was stabbed in Turkey a few years back "deserve" what he got, just because he didn''t support the local team?  Nobody deserves that.

I think there is more than enough room for rivalry and ribbing without being threatening, or is violence and abuse part of passion that you for one love.

[/quote]

In my opinion they would deserve a good slap.  And that''s my opinion to which I am entitled, no matter what the namby pambies say. 

Interesting debate. It would be great if fans could share a laugh in the same stands, however it has long been a reality that this is impractical. We can''t change a long established culture. People are very passionate and in the heat of the moment could lose their usual good character when confronted with an unacceptable situation. Take out the passion and it''s a lot less enjoyable, it''s just like watching a 3D movie with no interaction.

Controls (i.e fan segregation) work very well week in and week out across all grounds. These rules are in place for everyone''s benefit and there is no argument for anyone to break them (unless of course the individual appears neutral and will cause no problems to anyone).

A couple of years ago, I broke the rule and watched Palace v Norwich in the home stands with a palace fan. I behaved myself and kept quiet at all times. IMO acting in any other way would have been crazy and disrespectful to the home fans. I didn''t enjoy myself and decided never to sit in the oppositions stands ever again. Others might be able to grin and bear this, but for me I would rather listen on the radio.

I was unfortunate enough to have to sit right next to a Watford supporter in the Jarrold for the Watford match. When their winner went in in extra time he was giving it loads in way of celebration, an altercation began followed by handbags being thrown etc. It wasn''t pleasant to have to bundle myself out of the way as the stewards piled in and the game was thoroughly spoilt for me because of this. I don''t have that much objection to an away fan being there (although I would much prefer it if he weren''t), but for chrissake show some restraint in respect to the home fans and commen sense. It''s just asking for trouble and they should not be that surprised if it kicks off when an away supporter openly celebrates in a home area.

This post really, really depresses me.

It shows all that is still so wrong in football.   So what if it''s an opposition supporter, so what if they''re (even worse - shock horror) an Ipswich fan?

What makes football so special that it allows for all the stupid, bigoted opinions aired above - because it''s football?   That in itself is a worrying commentary on the state of the game.   Would it have made a difference if the Ipswich supporter had been a, say, Plymouth fan...?

I think that some people posting on this thread need to take a long hard look at themselves.   I''ve sat in plenty of away ends - and endured plenty of good natured ribbing but have NEVER been abused or felt unsafe.

Grow up people.

I think some people are taking this issue way too seriously. Most Norwich fans have friends/family/workmates who support Ipswich and other disliked teams, do people honestly think they are treated with hatred and abuse in ordinary life? The fact is that for 90 minutes during an important match the rules change a little bit- its what gives football a bit of an `edge`and makes it far more exciting and popular than more sedate sports like rugby and cricket.

In my experience some of the rowdiest people inside the ground can often turn out to be some of the most pleasant when you meet them in the pub afterwards. How often do you hear of people being injured at football matches these days? Hardly ever,and the few that have been are nearly always the ones who have been looking for trouble.

Talking of bigotted opinions, i think branding someone brainless or a neanderthal just because you dont like the way they react to a situation during a football match is right up there with the worst.

I sat in the Churchmans for the away derby and managed to limit myself to a sly grin when Huckerby scored right in front of me. Had i been unable to control myself however, and had received a torrent of abuse or even a smack on the nose, i would have expected it and i wouldnt be whining about how terrible the human race is. Its the way football is and i,and millions of others are quite happy with it.

[quote user="baldyboy"]having taken my wife to todays game, she is an

ipswich fan thats her choice, i was embarassed by the behaviour of some

of the fans in front of me in the N&P lower when ipswich scored.

these two particular gentlemen were an absolute disgrace hurling abuse

towards ipswich fans for celebrating in front of us and threatening to

get the scum as they called them if the stewards didnt.[/quote]

Good lord man, what were you thinking?

I almost think this is a wind-up post, baldyboy. Because how can anyone not

think that openly celebrating the fact that Norwich City have conceded

a goal, amongst the home crowd, on derby day, would not cause offence

or start trouble?

Personally, I have been to away games and sat in the home section. On

nearly all of these occasions I have been accompanied by a friend who

lives in that town or city, and who supports the opposition. I

therefore always feel that I am their guest, and should act accordingly

by showing respect for the home fans and their club. This means lots of

chatting to those around me and being friendly, as any good guest

should be. And it definitely does not mean jumping up and down when Norwich score, rubbing their noses in it!

During our Premiership season, we often had fans from opposition teams

sit near us in our section of the Jarrold Stand. Everyone was fine with

it, so long as they didn''t start jumping around like a loon and

taunting the home fans when they inevitably scored. Sadly some did, and

quite rightly we all insisted they be thrown out. Which they were, but

only after upsetting most of the fans around them.

So learn a lesson, and show some repect when you are a guest at another club.

The trouble is it isn''t just in the ground is it?

Is it safe to wear your scarf? Where can you get a pre-match drink? Is your car identifiable?

I remember the 70''s when it was really tribal and violent. It took a major tragedy or two to improve things somewhat.

Most football yobs are out and out cowards weighing up the odds in their favour before taking action or chanting a good fight.

I have met some moronic supporters from all clubs in my time, I have also seen outstanding acts of courage by people in the face of yobbery. One instance which stands out was near Anfield when an Asian shopkeeper opened his door and pulled a Norwich fan inside when a gang was setting on him.

When you are young it is difficult to see past all of this although I wouldn''t want to sound patronising. If you are older then you have no excuse, you are either a criminal, a moron or an individual who needs to think about life more.

The author of this thread felt as he did because he was with an Ipswich supporter who he cares for. Personally, I would not have trusted human nature enough to put her in that position but surely, as a way of developing safety at grounds and setting an example there is scope for a few hundred tickets for such fans to sit together in safety.

its quite clear that we all have an individual responsibility to ourselves and a duty of care to others, because if not we could all end up killing each other every day of the week without worry or remorse.  its down to people to assess their situation and react accordingly.  if you feel a situation could be threatening or intimidating then the onus is on you to behave in an appropriate manner.  clearly, jumping up and down celebrating your teams winning goal in an away stand could cause you  some problems - especially when its the local derby, because in the heat of the moment people say and do things they wouldn''t dream of normally. i''m sorry for the problems you encountered but we all have to respect human nature for what it is - ok most of the time, but suspect under conditions of stress.

[quote user="baldyboy"]having taken my wife to todays game, she is an ipswich fan thats her choice, i was embarassed by the behaviour of some of the fans in front of me in the N&P lower when ipswich scored. these two particular gentlemen were an absolute disgrace hurling abuse towards ipswich fans for celebrating in front of us and threatening to get the scum as they called them if the stewards didnt. whilst i understand their frustration, the ipswich fans were simply celebrating and what is wrong with that? we all did when we scored. thankfully my wife was not subjected to too much abuse just friendly banter but these two thugs were a disgrace. there are enough problems on the pitch without adding to it off it.[/quote] I''m always horrified and disgusted by the level of ignorance of some people at football matches. Some of the abuse and obsceneties they hurl at the ref , opposition and opposition fans is beyond belief! Racism is no longer tolerated in the game - lets work at cutting this sort of thing out too!!

Passion is what makes football the most popular sport in the world. If everyone was un-passionate and sat there in silence for 90 minutes what would the atmosphere be like? I was one of these so called "thugs" as when Ipswich scored their winning goal an ipswich fan started flying his scarf around in the box and swearing at all the fans and dutifully we replied back at him. The fact is the passion in the derby game was around fifty times that in some recent games and made me feel proud to be part fo such a great community of fans.

I hate away fans in home areas, the club should have a zero tolerance

policy.  NCFC is very weak on this issue, as are the stewards and

police. Season tickets holders who let this happen should be banned by

the club.  Any Ipswich fans in home area deserve a smack in the

gob.