Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

EMBARASSED BY THUGS IN THE N&P LOWER

it seems a lot of posters on here are for creating a mixed group of

supporters at games and think there is nothing wrong with sitting next

to away fans. I''d love to try this logic... how about we buy 10 tickets

for the Leeds away game and sit with their boys and celebrate (if and

when) we score.  Think we may be needing Beelsie''s forces

training  and an armoured car to get us out of there in one piece.

Still....up for a punt....

Milan Marcus disapoints me....

I might not be a regular away traveller but my experiances at away games have been overly pleasent (stoke and Millwall too)

When we went to WBA last season my mate parked at an industrial estate, and we walked to the hawthorns from there.. on the way we got chatting to some Baggies fans who were both friendly and approachable.. they walked us to the away end and wished us good luck for the game...

aftre the ref assisted 1-0 at Reading we were chatting to some Reading fans who were saying they thought we were the best team who had been to the Madejski this season and asked how we rated our chances...

Last season we went to spurs.. outside the ground before and after the game the fans mixed amicably... i was fortunate to be sitting right near the home contingent at both Spurs and Birmingham and loads of banter ensued... it was all light hearted and good fun....

Having said that we have seen the ugly side fo it.... a few stoke fans who wouldnt take "go away gents" for an answer, the Drunk Man utd fans at Old trafford etc....

what did we do..??? ignore them and keep walking....

when we went to cardiff for the playoffs i think u saw just how easily the fans mixed.. indeed i met up with my blue nose mates and we spent most of the day together chatting footy until the big kick off... id gladly of sat with them all game if i could.

Fact of the matter is i would gladly sit next to a fan of another team.... does that make me any less of a Norwich supporter??? no.. we can still support our teams, still have a bit of banter.. and a bit of a disagreement...

I have no idear if Milan Marcus works.. but im guessing theres fans of other clubs at his work.... does he blantantly ignore them? hit them? flush their heads down the bog??? or does he chat to them? Laugh with them? go for a drink with them...

if so i think our buddy Marcus is a Grade A Hypocrite!

jas :)

Baldyboy, the fact that you call the stand the "N & P" rather than the River End tells me exactly what sort of supporter you are... and its not favourable i can tell you. First season ticket within past 4 seasons by any chance? The sooner you and the other 9000-10000 of your ilk find another bandwagon to jump on (i hear North Walsham are doing rather well at the old rugger this season, hint hint) the better for all those of us that truly have football, and NCFC in particular in our blood. Oh, and as an aside, have those of you going on about the lovely, peaceful atmosphere at other sports events ever been to a big race meeting (last time i looked horse racing had a higher arrest rate than football) or a test match at Edgbaston/Headingly/Old Trafford? Try telling the local police how well everyone gets on at these occassions, they''d laugh in your face! There''s competition & conflict all the way through our lives, from the sperm fighting and racing their way towards the egg, through to school exams & sports days, job interviews/promotions, finding husbands/wifes (including steering clear of those from the wrong side of the county border!!) and finally in the race to get to either heaven or hell. That''s life, get over it mate.

I firstly would like to say that I travel to as many away matches as possible, nothing can rival the feeling of going to an away game and getting 3 points (alas a rare feeling these days). On the odd occassion I have had to sit in the home stand to watch the Canaries and in doing so know that I am there as a guest. Knowing that failure to keep my mouth shut would have a) got me kicked out of the stadium (quite rightly) or b) get a slapping.....Do I agree this is good, well no I dont but when passions are high (do they get any higher than a local derby???) being abusive to the locals would be a stupid move to say the least.

Last year at Villa I overheard a couple of home lads saying that there was a few Norwich in the area and that they were going to do them....(their words, ok somewhat edited to remove the swearing). That was at a nothing match in the middle of the season but just goes to show that football is about passion, which can easily become anger when roused.

Would I react if the chaps from the south of the border shouted and became abusive after scoring a possible winning goal, I would love to say no I wouldnt but I know that if it happened most people would in one way or another react. This is I am afraid to say rather human, would I smack them in the gob errrr no I wouldnt. Nothing can condone that kind of behaviour.

Milan, I too have been overseas quite a few times, keep your head down mate and keep safe.

big jim, I''m a season ticket holder for nearly 30 yrs actually so dont go slagging me off please. i could say things about others but i am not going to get into a slagging match for the sake of it. when i first went i could stand in the river end and mix with other fans. and for your info i prefer the river end but as its not called that now ill use the proper title, ok? 

Big Jim, does you''re name give something away about you and you''re point of view. Do you think that the answer to most questions is to thump it or intimidate it? You''re description of life makes me very sad. I ''m glad I don''t see the world in the way you seem to. There is of course an element of what you talk about in life, but there is also so much more.

Danno

Get a life just because Big Jim does not agree with sitting next to away fans does not make him a thug or anyone else including me.  Just because we like our football a different way to you does not make us thugs so please can everyone get of their high horse.  I just don’t understand how you can go to football and sit next to an away fan jumping for joy when they score and then tell them well done but as many of you have expressed you don’t understand how I can’t.  At the end of the day that’s what makes the world go round but please can everyone stop giving it the big one about how you share love with everyone.

It seems to me there are two types of supporters the prawn sandwich supporters and the banter and verbal supporter.  I don’t care which type you are as long as you are not a scummer sitting next to me (said with humour not thuggery). 

P.S Banus any space on the Captain Canary visit to Leeds (I have an APC ready to go)

Up the city….

Milan, Just a quick point...

"It seems to me there are two types of supporters the prawn sandwich supporters and the banter and verbal supporter"

You have equated the "Prawn sandwich" supporters as the type that may like rugby and cricket etc. Yet there is far more friendly banter between supporters in those sports from experiences.

It Depends on your idea of banter I guess. Do you see it as friendly banter where supporters can take the piss out of each other and have a laugh, or crowd chants such as "Wa***rs, Your just a bunch of Wa***rs, just a bunch of Wa***rs, You might as well **** off"  That famous carrow road chant that seems to embarass the majority.

I think some people are taking this issue way too seriously. Most Norwich fans have friends/family/workmates who support Ipswich and other disliked teams, do people honestly think they are treated with hatred and abuse in ordinary life? The fact is that for 90 minutes during an important match the rules change a little bit- its what gives football a bit of an `edge`and makes it far more exciting and popular than more sedate sports like rugby and cricket.

In my experience some of the rowdiest people inside the ground can often turn out to be some of the most pleasant when you meet them in the pub afterwards. How often do you hear of people being injured at football matches these days? Hardly ever,and the few that have been are nearly always the ones who have been looking for trouble.

Talking of bigotted opinions, i think branding someone brainless or a neanderthal just because you dont like the way they react to a situation during a football match is right up there with the worst.

I sat in the Churchmans for the away derby and managed to limit myself to a sly grin when Huckerby scored right in front of me. Had i been unable to control myself however, and had received a torrent of abuse or even a smack on the nose, i would have expected it and i wouldnt be whining about how terrible the human race is. Its the way football is and i,and millions of others are quite happy with it.

no probs Milan, with no other obvious offers to test this thread out at

the Leeds game as I expected, I wouldnt worry too much about the APC,

unless you have a 2 seater! Maverick here could use a Goose...

I think that the main point seems to have been missed somewhere along the way in this thread.Whether you agree with fans mixing together or not, the fact is that the Ipswich fans referred to were simply trying to wind the home fans up,  and it is something that should have been referred to the stewards to deal with. Full stop... This isn''t about vigilante justice!Not to say that the other debates aren''t relevant, but the incident itself seems pretty much an open-shut case.

Ark said: "I think that the main point seems to have been missed somewhere along the way in this thread."

Ark, with respect, if the main point was not missed on almost every thread, the raison d''etre for this message board would have died long ago.

I must apologise, hate to drag this thread back up again. However was listening to Five Live yesterday, and they were talking about the rioting in the Stoke v Birmingham game. Many people had called or texted telling of their disgust, and in a few cases people were saying how they had not been to many games, or they had took friends who had not been to many games and they would now never go again.

I think my main arguement during this thread is that I enjoy the banter between two sets of fans, and being segregated isnt too bad as it creates an atmosphere. But as fellow human beings it sickens me that if a few people happen to be in a different area we cant just let them be.

Anyway heres the link for the Stoke riots..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4730862.stm

I think the Stoke-Brum events show exactly why we should not tolerate macho comments suggesting violence over football could be okay. Luckily at Norwich we have never had a big problem with this kind of thing, but it would only take a few idiots to make Carrow Road almost a no-go area for women and children. And people who don''t like being kicked in the face.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]I think the Stoke-Brum events show exactly why we should not tolerate macho comments suggesting violence over football could be okay. Luckily at Norwich we have never had a big problem with this kind of thing, but it would only take a few idiots to make Carrow Road almost a no-go area for women and children. And people who don''t like being kicked in the face.[/quote]

Hardly comparing apples with apples is it?  If you want to criticise anyone, surely it is the scum fans who taunt home fans in the home ends?  Or is this not politically correct enough for the nambies?

Sadly I am not surprised, given the sad reputations of both Stoke and Brum.  Both places I have had the misfortune to witness violence first hand, Stoke in the 96-97 season and Brum two seasons running, that one and the following.  All unprovoked by me I might add, as my kids were young then, I did have to think twice about getting from car/coach to the ground.  The Birmingham game finished with our coach (Junior Canaries) being stoned on its journey out of Birmingham.

So these two sides meeting and the end result has not come as much of a surprise!  It''s a shame that the present day fans still hanker after emulating their past "glories". 

I don''t think CR will ever witness really bad stuff again.  Times have moved on and we have become a family club which is the way to go.  Tired tribal violence concerning which team you support belongs in the past and should remain there.  Banter, yes, but be able to meet up before and after the game and have a beer and a laugh.

Of course you cant condine violence. I myself take my children to the football with me, the only time i ever feel their safety is remotely compromised, is when supporters of the visiting team, wilfully enter the home supporting area. You can say what you like about, ''live and let live'' or why cant we all sit in peace''. This isnt an ideal world. Go and sit on the kop at Leeds if  you feel that way. Dont fancy it? didnt think so. As a former bodybuilder and an exponent of karate i myself dont feel threatened, but my kids are paramount to me. The amount of women and children now in grounds, is a cause for celebration, and should be encouraged.

It should most definitely be encouraged Charlie, it''s good to see women and children going to watch the footie. But at the same time, as this thread has most probably exhausted, there is a reason for segregation at the football. It may conflict against people''s opinions on the human race as a whole, or the culture surrounding football, but at the end of the day - expecially on a derby day - you can''t jump about in the home end when the home teams bitter local rivals score....it just isn''t the right way to go about it....

The blame can''t be laid squarely on the shoulders of those who reacted. If the supporter went about watching the game from the home area of the ground discreetly and quietly, I''m sure there wouldn''t have been a problem.

Anyway, I saw the highlights on Canaries world and I think I''ve spotted the Ipsiwch supporter in the river end....were you sitting behind the goal by any chance?

Thanks Safri. Thats the point i was trying to make. theres enough trouble in the world without actively looking for it. Anybody cheering ipswich town in an area of the ground designated HOME FANS ONLY by law, and signed up outside in big yellow and green letters, is asking for trouble.Rightly or wrongly, thats a fact.   

if i was being politically correct, I would advocate free speech, and say you have the right to advocate violence on a message board. But I''m not. I think the webteam should delete your posts.

Yep, let''s just delete all the posts, pretend it doesn''t happen, close our eyes and hide underneath the blanket.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Sadly I am not surprised, given the sad reputations of both Stoke and Brum.  Both places I have had the misfortune to witness violence first hand, Stoke in the 96-97 season and Brum two seasons running, that one and the following.  All unprovoked by me I might add, as my kids were young then, I did have to think twice about getting from car/coach to the ground.  The Birmingham game finished with our coach (Junior Canaries) being stoned on its journey out of Birmingham.

So these two sides meeting and the end result has not come as much of a surprise!  It''s a shame that the present day fans still hanker after emulating their past "glories". 

I don''t think CR will ever witness really bad stuff again.  Times have moved on and we have become a family club which is the way to go.  Tired tribal violence concerning which team you support belongs in the past and should remain there.  Banter, yes, but be able to meet up before and after the game and have a beer and a laugh.

[/quote]

I shudder to think what would of happened had we of wo the playoff final i really do!

i travelled down on my own but met my mates when i got there... i have a feeling that if we had beaten Brum a few fists would of flown when they emerged from the ground....

it was bad enough at St. Trannies last season when we drew! walking back to my mates car (3 lads and a girl) and all the brummies wanted to do was get in a punch up....

jas :)