Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

For all our possession

Whilst our defence is looking so much stronger this season, our conversion of shots to goals, with 60% possession for majority of games is a concern (yes we are top, yes we have only 2 out of 23 games)

To put it in contrast look at the HT stats at Leeds v Everton. Leeds 62% possession and yet 2-0 down. I've said it before in that possession doesn't count for anything if you aren't putting your chances away

Hopefully we'll come out of our sticky patch, but Pukki doesn't look as sharp this season, Buendia has supported with goals, then it starts drying up. I wonder where the goals are going to come from?

image.png.c3c62ea743d7b258f2fffa4c9c1c6dfd.png

Wenger coined the term 'sterile domination' a few years back which is a perfect description of our last couple of games.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Whilst our defence is looking so much stronger this season, our conversion of shots to goals, with 60% possession for majority of games is a concern (yes we are top, yes we have only 2 out of 23 games)

To put it in contrast look at the HT stats at Leeds v Everton. Leeds 62% possession and yet 2-0 down. I've said it before in that possession doesn't count for anything if you aren't putting your chances away

Hopefully we'll come out of our sticky patch, but Pukki doesn't look as sharp this season, Buendia has supported with goals, then it starts drying up. I wonder where the goals are going to come from?

image.png.c3c62ea743d7b258f2fffa4c9c1c6dfd.png

The possession stats are high because Gibson, Hanley and Krul have an awful lot of the ball between them. I’m more interested in chances

It's weird because we are top for possession but also top for shotspg. That could be Hanley, Gibson and Krul but I don't remember many🙃

Stats can be very misleading - playing  around in defence will obviously help push up possession but isn’t necessarily threatening; meanwhile shots don’t necessarily mean a lot - dribblers from the edge of the area are shots on target but are hardly a problem....and as for corners, we’ve scored from 1 in over a year so hardly worth it!

look at tonight in the PL:

Liverpool v Brighton  possession 64:36 shots 11:13 on target 1:4; score 0-1

Vila v West Ham possession 56:44 shots 9:20 on target 2:10; score 1-3

Leeds v Everton possession 63:37 shots 16:10 on target 7:6 score 1-2

The upshot is that it’s not the numbers that matter, but more so the quality of it/them - and even more obviously, the score.

Precisely, Nutty.  Ultimately possession of 80% is worth nothing if you don’t score, same with shots.  Clearly there’s certain conclusions you can draw from stats eg if you have 65% possession that’s nearly 60 minutes out of the 90 which limits the opposition’s possession to 30.... but the game is much more about what you do with it.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Precisely, Nutty.  Ultimately possession of 80% is worth nothing if you don’t score, same with shots.  Clearly there’s certain conclusions you can draw from stats eg if you have 65% possession that’s nearly 60 minutes out of the 90 which limits the opposition’s possession to 30.... but the game is much more about what you do with it.

I agree Branston. My point is (with the exception of us being top) we're consistently having very high possession %, but more recently other teams are notching up same number of shots on target as ourselves. Not much point if we have 60/70% possession but opponents are having same number of shots on target per game.

We're definitely more solid at the back than at any point over last two to three seasons, but more recently we're struggling to create chances and get them on target.

Does make me laugh for any team, considering the skills of players, it amazes me how often players "miss the target completely" when in good positions!