Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Referee furore

19 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Seems to be a bit of a hoo har going on with Refs atm, with Southampton requesting this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55922560

and Mark Halsey (allegedly) coming out with this;

https://www.facebook.com/awaydaybible/photos/a.466543226840098/1787027624791645/

Didn't someone say Simon Hooper is our Ref for Friday? Anyone got a first class stamp?

Ferguson must have given Dean a bung last night and god knows what the ref at the Arsenal game got given.

That comment by Halsey is surely Fake News .Dynamite if it is not but then again do you trust half the tripe posted on that website ?

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

That comment by Halsey is surely Fake News .Dynamite if it is not but then again do you trust half the tripe posted on that website ?

My defence in Court will centre around the word 'Allegedly' M'Lud 🙂 

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

For those of us not on FB, what does it say please? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

For those of us not on FB, what does it say please? 

Mark Halsey ( Ex. Premier league referee)

“I have been in that situation, when I have seen an incident and been told to say I haven’t seen it, we’ve been told to give a certain amount of corners, or throw ins, fouls, bookings etc. The EPL is rife with with spot fixing and bias towards certain clubs. Every referee in the Premier League could be infront of a court one day soon.”

• Thanks 2

Let’s be honest guys, we all know the ref game is totally filthy.

It will all come to light one day. Far East betting syndicates, the lot. 

You are telling me you’ve got players on hundreds of thousands a week, betting worth millions a game and this one guy (or 2 or 3) is “in charge” of the game and you pay him a year what one player is getting a week if he’s lucky? And you expect he’s not going to be “got at” and corrupted in some way? Nah!! You could easily pay them off.

I don’t think it should distract from the fact the standard of refereeing is so bad as well. I genuinely think they are useless and corrupt. 

53 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Mark Halsey ( Ex. Premier league referee)

“I have been in that situation, when I have seen an incident and been told to say I haven’t seen it, we’ve been told to give a certain amount of corners, or throw ins, fouls, bookings etc. The EPL is rife with with spot fixing and bias towards certain clubs. Every referee in the Premier League could be infront of a court one day soon.”

I know that you are just reposting as requested CC (thanks) but this seems highly improbable! For a start of, the referee has hardly any discretion over throw ins and corners.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

I know that you are just reposting as requested CC (thanks) but this seems highly improbable! For a start of, the referee has hardly any discretion over throw ins and corners.

He has more over corners as can give goal kicks to keep number of corners down, theoretically. 

Agree, not so much re throw ins. 

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Why hasn't he? I doubt they are betting on the actual minute a throw will happen. That would be too easy for the bookies to spot. I'm sure free kicks in and around areas have led to many corners and throw ins. And we all wonder why some free kicks are given and others not.

it could also be a minimum number of corners / throw ins etc rather than a certain amount  

In that same link Halsey also says its garbage, its a 5 year old story and the police were involved at the time as he never said it,

having said that I do believe there is fixing going on and  refs can have control over corners and throw ins, Refs can and do over rule linos

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Badger said:

It’s the conspiracy thing here isn’t it? It’s a nice easy moan - “refs are taking a bung”, “Democratic politicians are secretly organising paedophile rings”. It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to think about the implications of this, if it were true on any sort of scale, mean that it’s highly unlikely. Occam’s Razor (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor) would suggest that it’s simply a mixture of mistakes and incompetence.

P.S. Southampton and the rest should think themselves lucky they don’t get Championship refs.

Edited by Nuff Said

The quality of reffing as a whole is woeful at times, especially in the championship. I'm sure it probably has improved from say a decade ago, but you often seem to see the bigger sides getting the 50/50 decisions, penalties and bookings in their favour in the Premier League and I've always been convinced it isn't coincidence. I'm sure there's no smoke without fire anyway, hopefully the noise being made will shake the referee world up a bit.

Standard of refereeing has not got worse at all, IMO. It only appears like it has with the advance of technology (former referee speaking here, who did county finals at both U12 and U14 age groups) putting more and more decisions up for discussion.

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

The quality of reffing as a whole is woeful at times, especially in the championship. I'm sure it probably has improved from say a decade ago, but you often seem to see the bigger sides getting the 50/50 decisions, penalties and bookings in their favour in the Premier League and I've always been convinced it isn't coincidence. I'm sure there's no smoke without fire anyway, hopefully the noise being made will shake the referee world up a bit.

It's the application and consistency of the Laws which seems the biggest bug bear atm.  Oh yes, and the actual Laws themselves 🙂 One game you will see a (for example) a red card given, and in others nothing for the same sort of situation

VAR was introduced to help, but all it has done is thrown more ridicule at the Law makers and the Referees. Unbelievable **** up

• Like 1

If you think the standard of refereeing is getting worse watch this. Not the greatest picture quality, but plenty good enough to see an absolutely disgraceful performance from the general manager of PGMOL. 

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If you think the standard of refereeing is getting worse watch this. Not the greatest picture quality, but plenty good enough to see an absolutely disgraceful performance from the general manager of PGMOL. 

Bloody hell.

It's pretty difficult not to think there is something else going on when you watch footage like that.

In every other sport past, experienced players have an input into the rules of the game because they have played it a high level. Have any of the top referees ever played the game? The vast majority of higher officials have never been anything other than referees.

Referees seem to understand the laws of the game, it's a shame so many of them don't understand playing the game.