Sign in to follow this  
unique

Farke’s weakness starting to surface

Whilst the squad have been heavily struck by injuries, Farke has been somewhat limited with his team selections.

Now we are getting close to a fully fit squad, Farke has shown an inability to shuffle the pack to meet the demands of two games a week.

Most supporters would have been impressed by the supposed quality on the bench last night, but Farke obviously believed otherwise.

The one change that has been made these past two games has been the dropping of Sorensen, a player who was growing into the left-back position, and was starting to offer a good option in attack down the left side. Is there a clause in Giannoulis’s loan contract that states he has to play if fit?

Vrancic is not a ‘90 minute’ player’, so to have started him in two consecutive games seems bizarre.

Farke has now backed himself into a corner for the Swansea game. Does he flog his favoured first team who have produced two shots on target in two matches, or does he bring in players who have had very little pitch time?

Oh dear. This won't go down well. Did you not get the memo about Farke being flawless? He's a coach, you're a fan, he therefore knows more about everything, yadda yadda, pant-wetter, mumble grumble.

Not one of Gianoulis, Aarons, Rupp, Cantwell, Placheta, Vrancic or Pukki could have any complaints about being dropped on the back of the last two games.

My guess? Unchanged 11.

Good OP. We've finally got most of the squad back, and we can make 5 subs a game, so why the hell is he not changing up the team selections (we're not winning games so "don't change a winning team" doesn't apply) and why is he not making more changes around the 55-65 minute mark? It was obvious last night that it wasn't working but he waited far too long to change things up and giving Idah 3 minutes when we're supposed to be hunting for a winning goal was a bad joke.

• Like 1

I would agree re. Vrancic that he's now more effective in the last 20 mins when coming on as sub. If he starts ,he's invariably taken off in ecactly the time period where he'd be most effective.

A supersub only from now on I'm afraid

There has been one very creative player missing for the past 120 minutes or so and will be missing for another 90.  

The pitch last night was also awful.

So I'm not surprised that we struggled a bit. 

Edited by paul moy
  • Like 1

Time to change it up and I agree with the Mario stuff. We could use an overhaul of attack as the majority have played a lot of games in recent times. I'd like to see more dropping of players for not performing and more use of the youngsters. They are only learning patience on the bench. 

7 minutes ago, canarycat said:

we've lost 2 games in 23 lads.

Let's not make it 3 in 24 on Friday, which it will be if we don't make any chances and if we don't get some bloomin shots on target

At the same time, he's also trying to put minutes in the legs of players coming back from injuries/isolating. Rupp and Placheta are the poster boys of that group, whilst Dowell, McLean and Idah came off the bench. I'm just surprised Sorensen wasn't put in the middle of the park. Agree that Vrancic is not a starter though. Put him on with twenty to go and try and nab a set-piece.

At the same time, we're playing badly but still getting points and clean sheets. We've not had that kind of durability in a long time.

• Like 1

We've lost 2 in 23 so hardly surprising we've kept the same starting line up generally. Most of you would have changed it up multiple times and we'd now be 6th. Who knows.

Regardless, the subs have hardly performed when given their opportunity. Placheta, Onel and Dowell have all struggled including when they started in the cup.

• Like 3

It hasnt quite come off yet but I can see the benefit of a naturally left footed player at left back over Sorenson out of position.   

There was a moment the other night where he hit a one touch left footed pass into the penalty area, there was noone on the end of it because he hasnt played with the rest of the team enough yet, but when it clicks it will improve us. 

Also it gives us time to get Sorenson into his best position too.  

I think some rotation will be necessary soon though, some of our players are looking really tired. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haus said:

It hasnt quite come off yet but I can see the benefit of a naturally left footed player at left back over Sorenson out of position.   

There was a moment the other night where he hit a one touch left footed pass into the penalty area, there was noone on the end of it because he hasnt played with the rest of the team enough yet, but when it clicks it will improve us. 

Also it gives us time to get Sorenson into his best position too.  

I think some rotation will be necessary soon though, some of our players are looking really tired. 

Exactly. Playing a young player out of position is not usually very good for long-term development. Sorensen will surely get some quality game time in the middle of the park.

In fact, the way Vrancic is playing, I'd put McLean at number 10 and let Rupp and Sorensen switch it around in the middle.

• Like 3

We clearly miss Emi and I'm not sure that Hernandez or Placheta are even close to being a replacement for him. 

Feels like we should be giving Dowell a run of games in the number 10 role but either he isn't doing enough in training to make Farke think he should start or he just isn't fit enough yet. Either way we need more from him.

I am starting to feel though that we're in a similar situation squad wise to last season- those on the bench just aren't putting pressure on the starters.

• Like 1

I may be alone in this but i actually thought Gianoullis was a lot better last night and up until the last 10 minutes or so (where he maybe tired a bit) had a decent game and was pretty solid.

I would be trying to bring Sorensen into the midfield at the earliest opportunity if I was Farke but we all know that Rupp will get picked again. 

• Like 6

Back Farke to the hilt but I don't think it's wrong to question the use of the squad in this last little period.

Fair enough, nobody has really come in and made a big claim for a starting place- but a lot are coming off lengthy layoffs and at best are getting 7 or 8 minutes every week or so. Players like Hernandez, Dowell and Idah are never going to be match-sharp on this diet, whilst the likes of Vrancic are starting to look like they've done a 10k as a warm up.

Moreover, I think we've become a little sterile and predictable to strategize against. Teams don't really have to worry too much about studying Idah or Mumba because it's fairly obvious you're going to get 85 minutes of Pukki and Cantwell. Personally I'd have liked to see what Darnell Fisher would have mustered in half an hour against Hernandez after running after Todd for an hour, for example (injury notwithstanding).

Shouldn't complain too much really, 2 losses in 23 or whatever, but I think last night's performance just really pissed me off. We have a squad for a reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Back Farke to the hilt but I don't think it's wrong to question the use of the squad in this last little period.

Fair enough, nobody has really come in and made a big claim for a starting place- but a lot are coming off lengthy layoffs and at best are getting 7 or 8 minutes every week or so. Players like Hernandez, Dowell and Idah are never going to be match-sharp on this diet, whilst the likes of Vrancic are starting to look like they've done a 10k as a warm up.

Moreover, I think we've become a little sterile and predictable to strategize against. Teams don't really have to worry too much about studying Idah or Mumba because it's fairly obvious you're going to get 85 minutes of Pukki and Cantwell. Personally I'd have liked to see what Darnell Fisher would have mustered in half an hour against Hernandez after running after Todd for an hour, for example (injury notwithstanding).

Shouldn't complain too much really, 2 losses in 23 or whatever, but I think last night's performance just really pissed me off. We have a squad for a reason.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. On a pudding of a pitch like that, Todd and Mario really struggled to play their natural game. 25 minutes or so of Onel, Idah and Mumba (for example) could have really shaken things up. Yes of course, we might have made those changes and lost the match, but there's a reason you get three points for a win; you have twice as much to gain as you do to lose. The depth of our squad is only a positive to the extent that it is used.

Throw soto in... nothing to lose, farke wants to see what he's all about. Chuck him in the deep end 

2 hours ago, canarycat said:

we've lost 2 games in 23 lads.

I think the most concerning fact is that we are top of the league by a distance and yet we have had just two shots on target in 180 minutes of football. Underlining the total reliance on Buendia and Pukki for goals. Shut those two players down and we offer very little goal threat.

With our ‘conversion of chances’ rate this season, that is not the product of a team that has ambitions of automatic promotion.

If the problems are not addressed, we’ll be finding ourselves in the position of relying on other teams’ failures in order to maintain a top two spot.

I think the OP has a fair point. Its no use looking back at what we have done but what we need to do.

The substitution farce is clearly foremost among many thoughts. You can't say the subs aren't any better when they get three minutes. We have five subs so you can change things as soon as it becomes obvious its not working.

Man marking Todd works, or it has for two games anyway. So take him off as he ends up a passenger and bring on Kenny. Make them change what they do.

We keep hearing of not wanting to change the shape. But Millwall forced us to change our play. 

Placheta looks like he has pace but never uses it because we play a passing game. We don't need wingers. We don't score from deep crosses from a flying winger. We need wide midfield players who can link play with a full back.

But we are now so one dimensional at times that as soon as we lose the value of our flair players, we become predictable.

And with Pukki not on form, the fewer chances we are creating are going begging.

We still have arguably the best squad in the division and I'm sure the dip in form will end and we get back to winning.

• Like 1

Also worth noting that Millwall have drawn fourteen games and only lost seven. Obviously a difficult team to play against especially on that swamp of a pitch. They know how to grind out results and are obviously very good at it.

Swansea will be much different as the game will be far far far more open.

• Like 1

Summary of a lot of the posts on this thread.

The trouble with Farke is that he doesn't change things around enough - Sorensen shouldn't have been dropped. 🙂 🙃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly. Playing a young player out of position is not usually very good for long-term development. Sorensen will surely get some quality game time in the middle of the park.

In fact, the way Vrancic is playing, I'd put McLean at number 10 and let Rupp and Sorensen switch it around in the middle.

Agree about Vrancic, plus he his not a natural for that role. You need quick footed quick brained players, Vrancic is too slow on the ball. I am surprised Farke persisted with for so long last night.

Even though we haven't lost games, fans are right to be concerned over the pretty poor performances for 3 games now if you include Barnsley. An easier run of fixtures after the Swansea and it's here if the lack of wins continue where auto promotion starts to slip from our grasp as I believe, I might be wrong, those around us have easier games as well.

Re the argument Sorenson vs Giannoulis, whilst I'd agree Giannoulis doesn't look close to being up to speed yet, I'd like to see Sorenson back in over Rupp personally. What's happened to Xavi? Is he still injured? 

50 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Summary of a lot of the posts on this thread.

The trouble with Farke is that he doesn't change things around enough - Sorensen shouldn't have been dropped. 🙂 🙃

But to respond Thirsty, you didn't contribute anything on the match thread yesterday or today. So were you happy with the performance and have nothing to add while others have tried to talk over and analyse what has gone wrong recently?

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But to respond Thirsty, you didn't contribute anything on the match thread yesterday or today. So were you happy with the performance and have nothing to add while others have tried to talk over and analyse what has gone wrong recently?

Probably couldn't get on. I was unable to get on properly for most of it.

Going o be controversial here but I think Mario has something that nobody else has in the no. 10 position, possibly not even Emi. He's as slippery as an eel - the little shimmy he does slides himself into space like nobody else. He can make gaps appear where none existed.

The trouble is, that's it. He doesn't go on to smash it in the net (as he should have done against 'boro) & nobody anticipates him & moves into a passing position. If Teemu & Cantwell et al could get on his wavelength he'd be undroppable.

I'm really one of his least biggest fans, certainly in the PL he didn't have the pace or energy for the job, he looked lackadaisical & too often the game passed him by. But he's a class act, & I think it could be worth persevering with him; our teams only work when the understanding between players is almost telepathic & the new players & general disruption have prevented that.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Going o be controversial here but I think Mario has something that nobody else has in the no. 10 position, possibly not even Emi. He's as slippery as an eel - the little shimmy he does slides himself into space like nobody else. He can make gaps appear where none existed.

The trouble is, that's it. He doesn't go on to smash it in the net (as he should have done against 'boro) & nobody anticipates him & moves into a passing position. If Teemu & Cantwell et al could get on his wavelength he'd be undroppable.

I'm really one of his least biggest fans, certainly in the PL he didn't have the pace or energy for the job, he looked lackadaisical & too often the game passed him by. But he's a class act, & I think it could be worth persevering with him; our teams only work when the understanding between players is almost telepathic & the new players & general disruption have prevented that.

Yes, but his legs have gone, and he was never quick to start with, so he is struggling to take advantage of the little gaps he creates, having to stretch for the ball.

That said, I haven't seen enough of Dowell but he seems not to have impressed so far. For Swansea I would suggest trying McLean as the Number 10, albeit more of a box to box  No 10 than Vrancic. He won't give you much creativity but he adds a goal threat and some physicality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Vadis said:

Also worth noting that Millwall have drawn fourteen games and only lost seven. Obviously a difficult team to play against especially on that swamp of a pitch. They know how to grind out results and are obviously very good at it.

Swansea will be much different as the game will be far far far more open.

Exactly. All the other teams have to play Millwall and very likely end up drawing with them. If this is our blip then it’s a very minor one.

• Like 1