1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

You were the one comparing things with two years ago, hilarious stuff

Yes i did so i will hold my hands up to that no problem but i have also suggested you could give an opinion on tonight's performance but i will accept that probably will not be forthcoming as you are in snidey few words mode this evening.

You obviously did not see tonight as a pedestrian, lacklustre performance with no spark therefore not looking likely to score ?

Lots of short memories on here.

I’ve lost count of the number of people who’ve said all teams go through difficult patches in a season (look at Liverpool). But when we hit one - but still manage to hold on 0-0, twice - it’s the end of our hopes.

I’ve also lost count of the number of people who’ve talked about players needing to get match fit and used to playing with this team. But Gianoullis has a couple of so-so performances after going straight into the team, so without the usual gradual introduction, and suddenly he’s our third choice left back?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Lots of short memories on here.

I’ve lost count of the number of people who’ve said all teams go through difficult patches in a season (look at Liverpool). But when we hit one - but still manage to hold on 0-0, twice - it’s the end of our hopes.

Correct me if i am wrong Nuff but i don't think anybody has said on this thread it is the end of our hopes ?

As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle ground.

Cons
Yes, the last two performances have been very poor by the high standards we've set ourselves this season.

Last night particularly, I was surprised to see the same team bar Buendia out there for 75 minutes. The atrocious pitch does mitigate the performance to an extent as it was impossible to play our normal game well on it, however with three games in six days and such a poor surface I'm extremely surprised that we didn't make earlier and better use of our substitutions. Even Michael Bailey called him out on it.

Cantwell, Vrancic and Giannoulis were poor; Pukki looks low on confidence.

Pros
We have an eight-day break after Swansea, followed by a run of five very benign-looking fixtures. Whatever happens on Friday night, we have a clear opportunity to hit the 'reset' button and refocus ourselves after that.

Our defence looks extremely watertight; we've conceded one goal in our last six league games, and Hanley and Gibson looks our best centre-back partnership for years.

Aarons and Skipp were both outstanding last night, their fitness and consistency is a massive plus.

Kenny is back, and should start alongside Skipp on Friday (unless we keep Rupp in that role and play Kenny at 10).

We're still top of the league and it's in our hands, and if this is our 'blip' then at least we're not losing matches while we're playing badly.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

Its mental. Weve scored less but conceded less. We've attained more points, which is pretty important.

Couple of poorer performances and the bedwetting begins. Couldn't have called it at all could you?

We've just had two performances in a row where we've barely looked like troubling the opposition keeper, I don't think people being concerned is pant wetting.

I honestly don't know what you expect from a fan forum after games like this- just 50 people posting 'oh well, we didn't play brilliantly but we're still top!' and then logging off?

Edited by king canary
typo
  • Like 6

I love the people who screech "bed-wetting" whilst having to change their sheets after others have the temerity to criticise back to back woeful performances.

Irony lives strong on the Pinkun. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

We've just had two performances inn a row where we've barely looked like troubling the opposition keeper, I don't think people being concerned is pant wetting.

I honestly don't know what you expect from a fan forum after games like this- just 50 people posting 'oh well, we didn't play brilliantly but we're still top!' and then logging off?

That is making the assumption that 50 posters are able to access the forum and post something... 😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Couldn't lay a glove on them.

Maybe I'm naive but for me this team, with 18/19 form Pukki in it would be streets ahead of 18/19 Norwich.

We're significantly better at the back, we don't have to throw 8 players forward with every attack and we don't look like we've **** our pants every time the opposition get a corner.

While the last two games haven't been great, we have generally created pretty well this season- its just our finishing has been poor throughout the team (with the exception of Emi). 

I know lots of people aren't huge fans on the stat but our XG suggests we've had the chances to score 13 more goals than we have this season- which would make us top scorers. So the question is, can wee get Pukki firing again or do we need to look at Idah upfront for a few games?

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That is making the assumption that 50 posters are able to access the forum and post something... 😉

Ha! Switched to edge this morning as Chrome still wasn't working.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I love the people who screech "bed-wetting" whilst having to change their sheets after others have the temerity to criticise back to back woeful performances.

Irony lives strong on the Pinkun. 

I generally don't think Hoegsar is one of these but there are a few people on this forum who are far more concerned with giving their opinions on others opinions than actually talking about their own view of the football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ha! Switched to edge this morning as Chrome still wasn't working.

I'm still on Chrome and it seems to be working fine now, they've obviously fed the hamster.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I generally don't think Hoegsar is one of these but there are a few people on this forum who are far more concerned with giving their opinions on others opinions than actually talking about their own view of the football.

Hogesar can't even read a suggestion that Farke got a lineup wrong without a few drops coming out.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Maybe I'm naive but for me this team, with 18/19 form Pukki in it would be streets ahead of 18/19 Norwich.

We're significantly better at the back, we don't have to throw 8 players forward with every attack and we don't look like we've **** our pants every time the opposition get a corner.

While the last two games haven't been great, we have generally created pretty well this season- its just our finishing has been poor throughout the team (with the exception of Emi). 

I know lots of people aren't huge fans on the stat but our XG suggests we've had the chances to score 13 more goals than we have this season- which would make us top scorers. So the question is, can wee get Pukki firing again or do we need to look at Idah upfront for a few games?

Agree about having the old Pukki in this team would make us formidable but we are not that good to be able to master the two facets to those levels (but it is plenty good enough atm as we are top of course).

I get the feeling that we will hit a purple patch of chances being taken, to redress that stats somewhat, but we are ok as we are, so really people cannot complain. There is nothing wrong with wanting to always seek better performances even though we are top, it's a sign of wanting to improve and eradicate complacency (not something we are guilty of imo)

A 3rd consecutive 0-0 draw on Friday will see everyone happy again. A sense of perspective is needed. We have just played 2 teams who's main objective was to stop us and not look to win the game. We need to overcome that, it is down to us. Swansea won't be like that, for sure.

On a side note, I am not sure Idah is the answer to our prayers, but also appreciate he needs more game time to be able to get up to speed (plus give opposition defences more to think about)

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Agree about having the old Pukki in this team would make us formidable but we are not that good to be able to master the two facets to those levels (but it is plenty good enough atm as we are top of course).

I get the feeling that we will hit a purple patch of chances being taken, to redress that stats somewhat, but we are ok as we are, so really people cannot complain. There is nothing wrong with wanting to always seek better performances even though we are top, it's a sign of wanting to improve and eradicate complacency (not something we are guilty of imo)

A 3rd consecutive 0-0 draw on Friday will see everyone happy again. A sense of perspective is needed. We have just played 2 teams who's main objective was to stop us and not look to win the game. We need to overcome that, it is down to us. Swansea won't be like that, for sure.

On a side note, I am not sure Idah is the answer to our prayers, but also appreciate he needs more game time to be able to get up to speed (plus give opposition defences more to think about)

I think the larger concern right now is that the last two games are how most teams will set up against us for the rest of this season. So we do need to work on how we break down teams that set up to block us first and foremost. It is interesting because teams earlier in the season tried this to varying success but we still created chances- Birmingham and Derby spring to mind. So can we get back to that sort of performance when we face teams looking to spoil?

I'm struggling to see where people have been accused of pantwetting or bedwetting. Which posts should I be looking at? 

Seems a reasonable thread to me.

“Bedwetting” hasn’t been a theme on here for a long time, all the Tenna talk, how we laughed😁

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the larger concern right now is that the last two games are how most teams will set up against us for the rest of this season. So we do need to work on how we break down teams that set up to block us first and foremost. It is interesting because teams earlier in the season tried this to varying success but we still created chances- Birmingham and Derby spring to mind. So can we get back to that sort of performance when we face teams looking to spoil?

Yep, agree with that also, but we are now seen as hot favourites to go up, and seen as even more of a scalp than earlier in the season, plus other teams are starting to feel the pressure of play off positions or even relegation so that would change their mindset, from say, September/October.

We have all talked about not hitting our straps yet, and when we do, we are going to blow teams away, but we need to be prepared that may not actually happen and we will win many games 1-0. 2-1 or 2-0 and not do a Brentford and stick 7 past someone. We are seen as a bigger fish than say Brentford so they may get a bit more slack, and not so much attention to (defensive) detail, from opposition. Perhaps we need to slip to 2nd or 3rd and then we'll start hitting big scores 🙂 

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm also concerned regarding the future picture. Let's be honest, whilst we'll spend more than last time, if we do go up the bulk of the current squad will still be playing regularly bar a few ejections. If we're struggling to break down Millwall and failing to get a shot on target v Boro, do we even want to go up?!

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm also concerned regarding the future picture. Let's be honest, whilst we'll spend more than last time, if we do go up the bulk of the current squad will still be playing regularly bar a few ejections. If we're struggling to break down Millwall and failing to get a shot on target v Boro, do we even want to go up?!

Different variations on the same theme, isn't it? Last time it was 'we're too leaky at the back, if we concede two goals a game we're guaranteed to go down'... if we go up this time, it looks more like 'where are the goals going to come from?'.

I think the difference is that last time, our lack of outlay gave Farke carte blanche to continue in the role, and that decision has been justified by us storming to the top of the league this season. Should we go up and invest a bit more in new players, the onus will then shift to Farke to prove that he has learnt enough from his first crack at the PL to drive us forward to safety.

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm struggling to see where people have been accused of pantwetting or bedwetting. Which posts should I be looking at? 

Seems a reasonable thread to me.

Couple of poorer performances and the bedwetting begins. Couldn't have called it at all could you?

Hogesar on the first page,

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

there are a few people on this forum who are far more concerned with giving their opinions on others opinions than actually talking about their own view of the football.

Stands out like a sore thumb on this thread kc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Couple of poorer performances and the bedwetting begins. Couldn't have called it at all could you?

Hogesar on the first page,

Missed that.

Still think it's a fair thread though. Lots of good points made.

People seem to be more worried about having their opinion challenged than carrying on with what is a reasonable debate.

I have never thought a point at Millwall could be a bad point. For me it's a point won.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Missed that.

Still think it's a fair thread though. Lots of good points made.

People seem to be more worried about having their opinion challenged than carrying on with what is a reasonable debate.

I have never thought a point at Millwall could be a bad point. For me it's a point won.

Based on the strength of our squad and where we are in the League i look upon it as two points lost.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Based on the strength of our squad and where we are in the League i look upon it as two points lost.

Fair enough.

You must be expecting a huge points tally come the end of the season.

• Confused 1

We are going to have good results and bad results, that's inevitable of course. 

The problem is we don't appear to be creating / taking chances for a run (now 3) games. So it's a bit more than a blip / off day. 

Same as winning becomes a habit, so does not scoring / defeats etc. 

The big difference for me between two seasons ago and this one is that in 18/19 we relied more upon the attack for accumulating points.

This season the defence seems to be our biggest strength.

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Fair enough.

You must be expecting a huge points tally come the end of the season.

Depends who we are up against and so far this season Millwall have stuttered along from the first game and are 23 points behind us so i don't think it unreasonable to be looking at winning last night.

Edited by TIL 1010

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Depends who we are up against and so far this season Millwall have stuttered along from the first game.

But we haven't scored a goal against them in 180 mins. Middlesbrough is similar with just a penalty scored in 180 mins. Our defence won us 6 points across the four games. 

I think millwall will see it as a point gained against the league leaders, whereas we will see it as 2 lost against an average team

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But we haven't scored a goal against them in 180 mins. Middlesbrough is similar with just a penalty scored in 180 mins. Our defence won us 6 points across the four games. 

Or our attackers (or lack thereof) cost us 6 points. Many ways to slice a cake.