cambridgeshire canary

We have signed Regan Riley!

The Bolton fans amongst my circle (I live there) rated him as a long-term prospect, and indeed manager Ian Evatt said he was physically producing similar data to first-teamers. Suspect he could be similar to Adshead, maybe a bit beefier. 

Could be one needing a couple of years on loan, maybe one in the Netherlands. Hope there's a sell-on clause for them too (if we have a reputation for being fair to trade with in such matters, more smaller clubs may be happy to deal with us for those promising youngsters).

I've said before that under this new management, we'd do far worse than send Dan Barden there on loan next season as under Evatt Bolton are trying to play progressive football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The Bolton fans amongst my circle (I live there) rated him as a long-term prospect, and indeed manager Ian Evatt said he was physically producing similar data to first-teamers. Suspect he could be similar to Adshead, maybe a bit beefier. 

Could be one needing a couple of years on loan, maybe one in the Netherlands. Hope there's a sell-on clause for them too (if we have a reputation for being fair to trade with in such matters, more smaller clubs may be happy to deal with us for those promising youngsters).

I've said before that under this new management, we'd do far worse than send Dan Barden there on loan next season as under Evatt Bolton are trying to play progressive football.

Given how good our youth setup is right now I don't find it that surprising that we are managing to lure away talented youngsters even though their teams don't really want to sell them

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given how good our youth setup is right now I don't find it that surprising that we are managing to lure away talented youngsters even though their teams don't really want to sell them

Riley didn't have pro terms though.

Might want to look at George Thomason at Bolton as well. Plenty of Bolton fans are saying he can pick a pass and is unusually calm on the ball for a young'un.

11 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

He’s got his own song already 🤣

Baba O'Riley?  Probably not, given its refrain of Teenage Wasteland!

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Baba O'Riley?  Probably not, given its refrain of Teenage Wasteland!

I don’t mind

I get the feeling 

You’ll be fine

I still believe that

In this world

We’ve got to find the time

For Regan Riley

• Like 1

This acquisition of promising youngsters from lower league clubs is becoming quite an operation and it's all to the good, despite the fact that it's now virtually impossible to keep track of them all.

It's the main thrust of our 'self-sufficiency' model as the money brought in from the sales of Madisson, Godfrey and Lewis demonstrates.

That we are also in the business of nurturing our own from an early age as never before also bodes well for the future. 

The club has clearly built up an impressive network of hospitality in order to house and protect these youngsters in an all-encompassing way, which I presume also includes attention to their educational and social welfare.

"Norwich City beat Brighton to 6-figure Riley signing," was the headline.

We clearly now have a good reputation for the way these matters are handled, and this also overlaps towards the ability to get the very best of the crop of promising youngsters, like Oliver Skipp, here on loan. Hardly a commentator/pundit/opposing manager these days fails to mention that we are a "well-run club."

Everybody from scouts to landladies have a part to play in the process, and are clearly doing well. Even Delia herself seems to have matured into the role and can rightly now be seen as a mother hen figure finely balancing her off-hand approach with a kind of benign sovereignty. A far cry from the time when she was regularly accused, rightly or wrongly, of using the club as her play thing. Norwich City is no longer her toy, more her project.

Often luck has been with her, but you make your own luck, and I've often considered, in any case, that the twin pillars  for the success of our club these days have been our fabulous support base and our academy status and all it involves.

Some ingredients, players, managers and sporting directors will eventually depart but there are no signs that we will lose either of these pillars in the foreseeable future.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 5