Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ørjan Nyland joins!

Unitl the end of the season. Pretty meh all around. I mean really, aside from any serious issues he will play what.. one match? And there was everything thinking he was McGoverns long term replacement.

At least he seems like a nice guy, sure he will be good for the dressing room

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

What is to be updated? There's a story on the Pink'un Homepage, I'm sure you can type some of your own content!

Welcome Orjan though, I'm sure he'll be a good addition for us in the short term. From Farke's comments, it sounds like they are giving him until the end of the season to prove his worth with the potential of a extended deal on the table if he earns it. Sensible business once again from Webber and Farke

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

What is to be updated? There's a story on the Pink'un Homepage, I'm sure you can type some of your own content!

Welcome Orjan though, I'm sure he'll be a good addition for us in the short term. From Farke's comments, it sounds like they are giving him until the end of the season to prove his worth with the potential of a extended deal on the table if he earns it. Sensible business once again from Webber and Farke

Exactly this. Someone who pushes a proven quality performer like Rune Jarstein in the Norway national side can't be bad when at his best. The problem is this: how has Nyland recovered from his back trouble and resulting surgery? A few months of solid training will tell us a lot. If he's got it out of his system, he could well be the Fährmann replacement and push Krul on.

If that is the case, that should make McGovern number three, and the young keepers should get loans out to develop.

Will be interesting to see if he's here past this season but don't expect him feature much. Hopefully he can rebuild his confidence a bit.

Excellent back up keeper. This is the kind of signing I was hoping for to come in and be #2 behind Krul.

It seems he thinks that everything is really good!

"I’ve had a look at the training ground and it looks really good," he said. "Obviously, there’s a new building as well with the gym and the facilities are really good. I had a walk around the pitches of the training ground as well with the sporting director and that looked good. I’ve played here before as well so I know the city and the stadium from before. It looks really good and I’m ready to go."

He is a very good goalkeeper. I would argue pre fitness issues that he is just as good as Krul, if not better. Hopefully he can get back to full fitness and start pushing for no.1 spot. Good bit of short term business, which could easily prove to be a very astute bit of business if we can get him up to fitness again.

Nice one, decent backup goalie tbf. Hopefully a decent loan deal for Barden is in the offing, he could really develop quick if he gets the right loan. He needs his “Fraser Forster” moment.

Not sure he is as good as Krul - I live in Villa country and the consensus of texts I've had this morning is he is generally decent but has a mistake in him.  They all said he's a top backup though

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Not sure he is as good as Krul - I live in Villa country and the consensus of texts I've had this morning is he is generally decent but has a mistake in him.  They all said he's a top backup though

I think there all basing that of one poor performance. He was very consistent in Norway and a proven international. This is certainly a norwich type signing, with someone who has been injured with great potential if we can get him fit again. Works for all parties, especially on an initial short term basis.

8 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I think there all basing that of one poor performance. He was very consistent in Norway and a proven international. This is certainly a norwich type signing, with someone who has been injured with great potential if we can get him fit again. Works for all parties, especially on an initial short term basis.

Yeah, we love signing players who have had serious injuries and are injury prone only to then moan when half our squad is out injured 😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, we love signing players who have had serious injuries and are injury prone only to then moan when half our squad is out injured 😉

Totally. Has a similar feeling of the Krul signing really. 

48 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

he could well be the Fährmann replacement and push Krul on.

Hopefully prove his worth and be our new number 2.

But nobody needs to "push Krul on", he's simply exceptional, how much better do you think he could actually get? Best keeper we've had since the formation of the Premier League. 

• Like 4

We needed a keeper, and we've got a keeper.

But this is the first time I've seen a "highlights" compilation make a player look a bit dodgy, hope its just a crap and lazy video editor. 

But its essentially an open minded four month trial, and I trust Farke and Webber to make the right call at the end of that four months. If he isn't right there will be other free or cheap options in the summer. Nothing to lose here, for club or player.

25 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Yeah, I mean sure, they watched him week in and week out in 30 appearances for them recently, and this comes from 6 different people but why listen to their opinion when he was good in the (world class?) Norwegian league 5 years ago? Bizarre.

Edited by kick it off

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hopefully prove his worth and be our new number 2.

But nobody needs to "push Krul on", he's simply exceptional, how much better do you think he could actually get? Best keeper we've had since the formation of the Premier League. 

Competition never hurts. Krul has been excellent, but there's always room for improvement - and never room for complacency.

45 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Excellent back up keeper. This is the kind of signing I was hoping for to come in and be #2 behind Krul.

It seems he thinks that everything is really good!

"I’ve had a look at the training ground and it looks really good," he said. "Obviously, there’s a new building as well with the gym and the facilities are really good. I had a walk around the pitches of the training ground as well with the sporting director and that looked good. I’ve played here before as well so I know the city and the stadium from before. It looks really good and I’m ready to go."

He clearly hates the pitches of the training ground...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We needed a keeper, and we've got a keeper.

But this is the first time I've seen a "highlights" compilation make a player look a bit dodgy, hope its just a crap and lazy video editor. 

But its essentially an open minded four month trial, and I trust Farke and Webber to make the right call at the end of that four months. If he isn't right there will be other free or cheap options in the summer. Nothing to lose here, for club or player.

Image below is his best highlight. Not sure why Villa fans are ****ting on him when he saved their status as being a Prem team..

nyland.png

13 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Totally. Has a similar feeling of the Krul signing really. 

Other than it being a keeper with some injury history signing on a free I don't see it. Krul had a big reputation, close to 200 Premier League appearances and  was signed to be our number 1 keeper.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

As a fully paid up member of the left back alliance - all players have the odd mistake in them - Krul in this regards is no exception and I recall lots of doubts early days.

It just that when a goalie - or indeed a left back make a howler (shoddy back pass, poor clearance, befuddled, caught-out ) it often ends up in a soft goal!

The same inglorious mistake in midfield or even the forwards is usually less deadly and quickly forgotten.

Welcome Nyland, Excellent keeper to have on the books. 

Image below is his best highlight. Not sure why Villa fans are ****ting on him when he saved their status as being a Prem team."

Well they are Villa fans aren't they !

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-deadline-day-19741618

And some Villa fans said:

"Good luck to Nyland. Didn't do much wrong to be fair and is a decent keeper. Hope it goes well for him."

Another fan said: "Good luck with your new club and see you in the Premier League."

"Very good 'keeper when called upon," a third added. "Found it tough as always in and out of the team."

"Good luck Orjan," a fourth fan said.

Another said: "All the best to him. He made some outstanding saves against Leicester to get us to the Carabao Cup final last year!"

Seems a quality back-up to me.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

As a fully paid up member of the left back alliance - all players have the odd mistake in them - Krul in this regards is no exception and I recall lots of doubts early days.

Absolutely - Played in goal for a few years myself so totally understand. I'm not ****ting on the Nyland signing, I'm really pleased with it as I pointed out in other posts on the thread. The response was to the poster saying he is as good as Krul when that's patently nonsense.

If he was as good as Krul he would be signing somewhere else in the division to be their #1 Keeper as Krul is comfortably the best in the division for me. He's an ideal signing for us and I'm really pleased we have got him through the door but to say he's on Krul's level is just silly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Harsh- To me this rather screams “I’m your solid and pedestrian if unspectacular choice at the lesser league level. I’m fine, you know” 

A kind of study in why keeper highlights videos aren’t a thing (unless the name’s Chilavert / Higuita)

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Absolutely - Played in goal for a few years myself so totally understand. I'm not ****ting on the Nyland signing, I'm really pleased with it as I pointed out in other posts on the thread. The response was to the poster saying he is as good as Krul when that's patently nonsense.

If he was as good as Krul he would be signing somewhere else in the division to be their #1 Keeper as Krul is comfortably the best in the division for me. He's an ideal signing for us and I'm really pleased we have got him through the door but to say he's on Krul's level is just silly.

Yes - Krul is outstanding at present but I wish Nyland all the very best to get back to his best as well. We never know when we will need to call on him! 

Separately, I'm very pleased we now have our left back situation sorted - I was thinking if we had any more injuries I'd have to offer Farke my services - but I doubt I could sprint out of penalty box and certainly not back again..

19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - Krul is outstanding at present but I wish Nyland all the very best to get back to his best as well. We never know when we will need to call on him! 

Separately, I'm very pleased we now have our left back situation sorted - I was thinking if we had any more injuries I'd have to offer Farke my services - but I doubt I could sprint out of penalty box and certainly not back again..

Psssttt.............. there's a club about 45 miles down the road................ play in blue and white............. drop em a line.............. I think you'd fit right in. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Other than it being a keeper with some injury history signing on a free I don't see it. Krul had a big reputation, close to 200 Premier League appearances and  was signed to be our number 1 keeper.

Krul was a forgotten player before we signed him. In need of fitness and someone who believed in him. Took him an initial period of making numerous mistakes before finding his feet. I was merely saying, this has a similar feel and could work out in the same way

50 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Harsh- To me this rather screams “I’m your solid and pedestrian if unspectacular choice at the lesser league level. I’m fine, you know” 

A kind of study in why keeper highlights videos aren’t a thing (unless the name’s Chilavert / Higuita)

Yeah, and to be fair he'll probably get the best coaching of his career here, suspect a part of what we are going to be looking for is a determination and willingness to improve and be coached out of any bad habits.

He's got 6 years on McGovern, and he could rapidly improve here and be a long term number 2 / competition for shirt? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten