Sign in to follow this  
Chelm Canary

Team vs Swansea

23 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It's a tough one about where Placheta plays.

Cantwell is totally accustomed to playing from the left so I probably wouldn't move him. Inverted wingers (ie. right-footed Cantwell on the left, left-footed Placheta on the right) fits better with our tendency to play central and narrow, and use the full-backs for width, so I'd probably leave them how they are.

Obviously Placheta playing on the left would enable him to beat his man on the outside and then whip crosses in with his stronger foot, but with Pukki playing in the lone striker role that's less likely to be effective than if we were playing with two up top (or with Hugill). Let them cut inside I reckon, then they can either shoot, play intricate one-twos, or look to play in the overlapping full-backs.

I'd prefer it if Placheta didn;t play. Most frustrating player we've ever had. Takes the wrong decision EVERY time. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I'd prefer it if Placheta didn;t play. Most frustrating player we've ever had. Takes the wrong decision EVERY time. 

No, not every time. Needs to work on his decision making, but he's young yet. I found watching Yanic Wildschut much more frustrating, personally.

Kenny to start at 10.  Josh Martin to replace Cantwell, but doesn't even feature on bench if not going to replace Todd could fit into Dowell's place on bench.  Josh is a good creative player who in brief cameo roles has scored and assisted goals something Dowell has failed to do.  Mumba should be used at some time only time he has appeared gave Swansea kittens and helped create the winner.  Back 5 picks itself rather have Jacob than the Greek guy.     

It's a tough one because after that Millwall game I'd be tempted to ring the changes, but we've still got quite a few players who I'd say are not quite up to match fitness and sharpness after coming back from injury (Idah, Onel, Mumba). I'd definitely like to see Kenny back in and I do think the front 4 needs tweaking, as well as Placheta played on his favoured left-hand side where he can hopefully get to the byline and put the ball into the box, rather than from the right where he's having to cut inside all the time, leaving Todd free to move into the Emi role. Sorenson or Rupp is a tricky one. It's probably not the game to be trying Sorenson in a position that he hasn't played much since signing, but I just think him and Skipp as a pairing should on paper be very defensively sound, something we're going to need this game. With all that in mind I'd say:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Dimi
Skipp Sorenson
Cantwell McLean Placheta
Pukki

Subs: Barden, Zimmermann, Mumba, Tettey, Rupp, Vrancic, Martin, Hernandez, Idah

I'd also like to see Martin back on the bench, even if it means Dowell dropping out. Martin at least has shown that particularly off the bench he can make an impact, something which Dowell has very rarely done.

For me it's: 

Krul, Aaron's, Hanley, Gibson, Dimi

Skipp Rupp

Cantwell McLean Martin 

Pukki

Subs if not working Vrancic for McLean and Hernandez for Martin

On 01/02/2021 at 02:42, Yellow and Green said:

I actually think Farke played Giannoulis so soon was so that he would be ready (or more prepared) for the Swansea game. It was noted how Ayew was a danger, yet suspect in defence, and a fit and firing DG could be key in this game.

Exactly my thinking. Ayew doesn't like tracking back, and Giannoulis has already showed he's got a very good engine and plenty of pace with it.

I'd go with this line-up, assuming all are fit.

GK: Tim KRUL
LB: Dimitris GIANNOULIS
LCB: Ben GIBSON
RCB: Grant HANLEY (C)
RB: Max AARONS
RDM: Oliver SKIPP
LDM: Lukas RUPP
LAM: Przemyslaw PLACHETA
CAM: Kenny MCLEAN
RAM: Todd CANTWELL
CF: Teemu PUKKI

Subs: Barden (GK), Zimmermann, Tettey, Vrancic, Mumba, Idah, Hernandez, Sorensen, Dowell

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Giannoulis

Skipp, Sorensen (or Rupp)

Cantwell, McLean, Hernandez / Martin or Pukki

Pukki / Idah (if Pukki drops back).

Of those available, who else deserves a starting position on current form?   Can only think of Rupp!

Hernandez needs minutes to get up to speed, Martin and Idah need minutes to realise all that potential...

Platcheta, Dowell need to offer much more when they get chances off the bench and Vrancic is only ever effective as a sub.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I'll just swap Kenny in for Rupp and keep or take take a leap of faith in Giannoulis.

Apart from that same as at Millwall - Question over Hernandez  / Platcheta

Ring the changes if anybody doesn't step up - especially Cantwell.

What I don't quite get is us playing fast wingers and crossing the ball from the byline when that's not Pukki's game strength at all.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Weather for Swansea tonight looks cold and maybe a little rain but not much, the Ospreys haven't played at the Liberty Stadium since December so hopefully the conditions and pitch will be ok for us.

We’ve scored 6 goals when Rupp and Skipp have been on the pitch together this season and they’ve started 11 games as a pairing (we scored another 4 in those games after one had gone off). 3 of the 6 were at Bristol in one game. 

they are both very good players and both are playing well. It’s not the only factor in why we are not scoring (Vrancic and Pukki losing their shooting boots doesn’t help either) but for me, especially when we play teams who sit deeper, we perhaps don’t get the ball forward quickly enough or get enough bodies in the box when they are our midfield pairing. I think there are few too many short, sideways passes and they don’t always see the quick forward pass when it’s on. 

For that reason I desperately how to see Kenny restored to the midfield tonight. I never thought I would say that but he’s been excellent this season. 

McClean & Sorensen on for Vrancic & Giannoulis and jobs done, would like to see Soto on the bench too.

Kenny at 10 makes a lot of sense, plus Sorensen alongside Skipp. Mario is clearly a good playmaker but for me he is an impact Sub, not a starter. I would actually be quite happy with a 0-0 tonight, although perversely our results and tempo seemed better when we had more injury worries....