Sign in to follow this  
Chelm Canary

Team vs Swansea

Tough game against a side biting at our heels. With no Buendia i'd be tempted to start Hernandez and Mumba in an attacking setup. 

Their right back simply could not cope with Mumba twisting and turning last time out - the bloke didn't know which way was up at one point with Mumba turning inside and out and at one point fell on the spot without putting a tackle in. As Farke pointed out last time we highlighted a weakness in Ayew's ability to track back. 

I know a few Swansea fans who are fairly confident going into this.

I think a change of personnel for this game could be the answer. 

I think you're jumping the gun a bit mate. It really depends on who performs, is injured or suspended, or fatigued after our visit to Millwall on Tuesday

I'll rephrase. Assuming hernandez and Mumba are fully fit and available come Friday then i think they should start given the outlet they offer in the absence of Buendia. 

I think my thread title may have led people to think I've skipped a game. 

I wanted to change that title after it was posted for this very reason. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

I like Hernandez and Mumba as options for Swansea. My only concern is that both lack gametime - especially Mumba - is he ready for 90 minutes ? Playing them against Millwall would be the first step. I think Millwall would change their fullback if there was a hint of Mumba playing on the left side.

7 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Tough game against a side biting at our heels. With no Buendia i'd be tempted to start Hernandez and Mumba in an attacking setup. 

Their right back simply could not cope with Mumba twisting and turning last time out - the bloke didn't know which way was up at one point with Mumba turning inside and out and at one point fell on the spot without putting a tackle in. As Farke pointed out last time we highlighted a weakness in Ayew's ability to track back. 

I know a few Swansea fans who are fairly confident going into this.

I think a change of personnel for this game could be the answer. 

I actually think Farke played Giannoulis so soon was so that he would be ready (or more prepared) for the Swansea game. It was noted how Ayew was a danger, yet suspect in defence, and a fit and firing DG could be key in this game.

• Like 1

If we beat Millwall then I think a draw against Swansea would be a good result. Id say its more a 'must not loose game' rather than must win as I think psychologically it will be a downer for them to miss an opportunity to catch up with us, especially if we have got another 3 points on the board midweek. 

Personally, Id give DG a chance to impress against Millwall and if you can see another step up in performance and fitting into the system, then Id give him the spot on friday. But, if he struggles and the passing is a little off, I think I'd sit him out for friday, let him get another week of training under his belt and give him another go against Stoke or Coventry. 

I think I'd be looking to bring Dowell into the side on the right for Millwall to see how that works, if it does then I'd be looking to stick with it for Swansea, if not I'd look to make a change early and get Hernandez back into the fold. 

I'll get back to you after Millwall.  My brain ain't up to all this projecting forward.  It's a cliche, but one game at a time.

After a disappointing result last night I think a couple of tweaks to the team are needed. We are not conceding many but I still feel Sorensen gives a bit more stability at left back. We have to give the new lad time but not for this one. Rupp and Skipp siting with Kenny in front. Cantwell Pukki and Dowell up top. We will have a bit more space to play against Swansea and as long as we move the ball quicker we should be ok. 

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Sorensen 

Skipp Rupp 

McLean 

Dowell  Pukki   Cantwell 

Subs

Idah Placheta Hernandez 

Zimmerman Nyland

Mumba Martin Vrancic

Cant name them all but we have options there

Do wish we had splashed out a bit on another forward though

Kenny instead of Mario, Onel instead of PP for me.

Gianoullis is the other question mark, but I think it would set him back many weeks to drop him now. His history shows there’s a player there, we have to give him time to acclimatise.

• Like 2

There’s a lot of big decisions here as so many of our players are not in top form. The only undroppable ones are Krul, Aaron’s, Hanley, Gibson, Skipp and then Pukki probably due to lack of options, although he’s not looked great/fit the last couple of matches either.

For me, McLean and Hernandez have to start but take your pick from the other four midfielders who gets dropped. 

As already pointed out, the LB situation is tricky. He’s needs games to (hopefully) improve and it would set him back to be dropped now. But we currently look a far worse team with him in it (both defensively and offensively) so it’s a very big risk to play him in such a big match.

Mcclean definite starter like to think didn't start due to Covid layoff.  Love to see Mumba given chance to remind them of Carrow result.  Cantwell and Placheta need to be dropped, rather see Martin back.  Pukki has to start but expect him to be ineffective.  Team is struggling currently a draw is best to expect.   

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Sorensen 

Skipp Rupp 

McLean 

Dowell  Pukki   Cantwell 

We conceded a lot of chances against Millwall, so I'd definitely bring back Sorensen.

I'd replace Dowell for Hernandez for his all round work rate. I'm also really tempted to start with Idah as Pukki looks really out of sorts.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Skipp Sorensen 

Mumba Dowell/McLean Cantwell/Placheta

Idah

This I want I would like to see but probably not what we will see

I don’t think we’ll see Mumba as a starting m/f...certainly think we should give Sorensen a go at cm - it’s odd to play a guy out of position for c20 games and then not give him a go in his preferred position when the chance comes along

Edited by Branston Pickle

If we do nothing else we must put Kenny back next to Skipp and not play Placheta.

Personally i would play Sorensen next to Skipp and put Kenny in the Vrancic role.

I just think that Rupp plays too many short passes which look nice but are not actually very incisive and i think we need a bit more solidity in midfield for this one. 

• Like 1

I expect it'll just be Kenny for Mario, otherwise unchanged.

Personally I'd also put Sorensen in for Rupp, wouldn't make any other changes though. I'd just be prepared to use the bench a bit earlier, whether or not the match is going to plan.

• Like 1

Sorrenson in for Rupp and Idah for Pukki. 
Rupp was not offering much last night. 
We are already sticking with Pukki due to reputation. No goal from open play since December and he looks jaded needing a touch too many. Give Idah as much start time as we have given Pukki not 3 or 4 mins at the end of a game. 

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Personally I'd also put Sorensen in for Rupp, wouldn't make any other changes though. I'd just be prepared to use the bench a bit earlier, whether or not the match is going to plan.

Agree with this. McLean and Sorensen have been amongst our best performers in our good run.

To spell it out -

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Gianoulis

Skipp Sorensen

Cantwell  McLean  Placheta

Pukki

Then we have options on the bench to change it up if needed. I'd definitely keep Placheta on the left though, as his left foot bias did not work when on the right against Millwall (apart from one shot).

• Like 1

I know we are suffering a little bit for goals but I wouldn’t change too much for this game. Swansea play with 3 central defenders and then get their width from their wing backs, finding a way of pushing them backwards will help us nullify a little bit of their threat. At home Lowe’s speed caused us a few issues in the channels so I would be semi-tempted to slightly change our style and block them channels.

So I would go with 

Krul, Aaron’s, Sorenson, Hanley, Gibson, Skipp, McClean, Hernandez, Vrancic, Cantwell, Pukki

but with clear instruction for Hernandez to stay high and cheat behind Roberts, Sorenson can then stay narrow to his centre backs limiting Swansea space in down the sides of our centre backs. 

We need to nullify their goalscoring midfield and stop their runners like Ayew. I'd go with a back 3 (Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen) leaving Aarons and Giannoulis as wingbacks alongside McLean and Skipp in the middle, with Dowell as the 10 behind Pukki.

Cantwell, Placheta, Vrancic and Idah to come on if we need them.

There's no way Farke will go with that though. I do wonder why we have such a strong squad when he never changes the team but several players deserve a chance after the last two games.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Skipp Sørensen

Hernandez McLean Cantwell

Pukki

Edited by Darth Vadis
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

We need to nullify their goalscoring midfield and stop their runners like Ayew. I'd go with a back 3 (Hanley, Gibson, Sorensen) leaving Aarons and Giannoulis as wingbacks alongside McLean and Skipp in the middle, with Dowell as the 10 behind Pukki.

Cantwell, Placheta, Vrancic and Idah to come on if we need them.

There's no way Farke will go with that though. I do wonder why we have such a strong squad when he never changes the team but several players deserve a chance after the last two games.

Not a bad idea but I'd rather have Zimbo in CB and Sorensen with Skipp 

53 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with this. McLean and Sorensen have been amongst our best performers in our good run.

To spell it out -

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Gianoulis

Skipp Sorensen

Cantwell  McLean  Placheta

Pukki

Then we have options on the bench to change it up if needed. I'd definitely keep Placheta on the left though, as his left foot bias did not work when on the right against Millwall (apart from one shot).

It's a tough one about where Placheta plays.

Cantwell is totally accustomed to playing from the left so I probably wouldn't move him. Inverted wingers (ie. right-footed Cantwell on the left, left-footed Placheta on the right) fits better with our tendency to play central and narrow, and use the full-backs for width, so I'd probably leave them how they are.

Obviously Placheta playing on the left would enable him to beat his man on the outside and then whip crosses in with his stronger foot, but with Pukki playing in the lone striker role that's less likely to be effective than if we were playing with two up top (or with Hugill). Let them cut inside I reckon, then they can either shoot, play intricate one-twos, or look to play in the overlapping full-backs.

On 31/01/2021 at 22:27, Chelm Canary said:

I'll rephrase. Assuming hernandez and Mumba are fully fit and available come Friday then i think they should start given the outlet they offer in the absence of Buendia. 

I think my thread title may have led people to think I've skipped a game. 

I wanted to change that title after it was posted for this very reason. 

I dont think Mumba should be starting, especially not in that role. We have just got to hope the likes of Hernadez/Placheta/Dowell improve, which they will with more minutes. Lets not forget Dowell was very good before injury, as was Hernadez. They just need time to get properly match fit.

Well, we didn't get the extra 2 point buffer. Changes things a little bit, certainly still a must not lose rather than a must win. Think it might be the one game where I'd revert back to the players of the recent good run (bar Emi) and also give Hernandez a start. I think he's been rusty but has a bit more in his locker than Placheta we just need him to find that level of performance we know he is capable of. 

Krul 

Aarons      Hanley     Gibson     Sorenson

Skip                 McClean

Hernandez           Vrancic               Cantwell

Pukki 

Hopefully then we could bring on Gianoulis, Placheta or Mumba if we needed pace, or swap Dowel for Vrancic on 70 as his legs start to go. 

• Like 1

Assuming DF wants to get more game time into the legs of Giannoulis & Rupp and also get Kenny back on to the pitch while also tweaking the forward areas a bit, what about:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Gibson     Giannoulis

Skipp     McLean

Rupp/Idah/Onel      Vrancic       Cantwell

Pukki  

I think this game might suit Super Mario a bit more than the last few but if he's benched, it makes the selection a bit easier. I can't decide about who of Rupp/Idah/Onel should start! They all need pitch time.

Rupp - Starting him would give more solidity around the middle and give Aarons & McLean (& Giannoulis?) more freedom to venture forward.

Idah - Would have a bit of a 'surprise' element to undermine Swansea's preparation, would hopefully offer more support to Pukki and he must be mad keen to make his mark.

Onel - Badly needs minutes, offers drive & directness and the attention he demands creates space for the other forwards. Might even nick a goal!

Slotting McLean in at no. 10 allows Rupp to start and seems to solve a problem but he's not as effective up there for me. And when will Lungi get on the pitch? A touch harsh on him recently.

22 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm a bit wary of starting Sorensen centrally given that he's not really had much game time yet there for us. I'm not convinced this is the match to attempt that in. Fortunately, though, I don't have to pick the team!

• Like 2