Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Patrick Bamford

1 hour ago, AJ said:

If you stuck Cantwell in a Premier League team he will easily look 10x the player he is with us as he'd been surround by world class players making world class passes and runs. It's all relative after all!

He might not be quite at Maddison's level I agree, but Maddison did stand out in what was a fairly average squad at the time, our squad is full of quality players now and Todd still has the ability to be a match winner. I also think Todd isn't quite the same player, Maddison is more a no10, whereas Todd is much better utilised out wide

No, can't agree with this. Outstanding players are just that - outstanding. If they are playing below their level, it's very obvious. Buendia is clearly too good for the Championship (though he has other flaws), but at the moment, Cantwell isn't. I don't doubt he'd look better alongside better players, but the lower part of the EPL don't really have better players than we do and he's not getting a move to the top half on his current form.

I'm not really being critical of him - I'd love him to stay and develop with us rather than move on and I rate him highly; just not so highly that he could command the move he undoubtedly would like at the moment. I agree with Farke that he has not yet outgrown us.

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

the lower part of the EPL don't really have better players than we do

That's quite a statement SG, I'd agree with W Brom, Sheff Utd and Fulham but Palace, Wolves and Newcastle?

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Would probably be deserved at this point in time, in place of DCL who has gone off the boil. 

My Leeds mate says Southgate watched them at Leicester, so it's probably on the cards.

3 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

That's quite a statement SG, I'd agree with W Brom, Sheff Utd and Fulham but Palace, Wolves and Newcastle?

They all have some good players and some very average ones, much as we do. They are all teams we either beat or should have beaten last season. I don't think that as squads there is a lot more quality at Palace or Newcastle than we have. Wolves maybe, but not the other two.

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

They all have some good players and some very average ones, much as we do. They are all teams we either beat or should have beaten last season. I don't think that as squads there is a lot more quality at Palace or Newcastle than we have. Wolves maybe, but not the other two.

The big difference for me is that City still don't have enough PL standard players whereas Palace and Newcastle do but can't find a level of consistency. For example, assuming they go up where are the goals going to come from?