Uncle Fred

Do you really want to get promoted

It’s fun this season winning games playing well.

aside from the money what is enjoyable about the premier, getting butt raped every week and the spoiling of the weekend 

why can we win the league and just say no thanks on promotion and just do it all again the following season

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

aside from the money what is enjoyable about the premier, getting butt raped every week and the spoiling of the weekend 

why can we win the league and just say no thanks on promotion and just do it all again the following season

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I'm afraid that Bill beat you to this line of argument weeks ago. 

Absolutely yes. I want to see Norwich performing at the best level possible, with the best players possible. The 3-2 against Man City almost made up for all of last season.

Will never understand why City fans don't want to see Norwich playing in the Premier League.

• Like 3

Obviously the post is an absolute wind-up and doesn't deserve a serious response, but if anyone is genuinely thinking it would be a good idea, it's completely ridiculous because no half-decent player would consider joining a club who didn't want to play in the Premier League and the club would organically end up Championship relegation fodder within a couple of seasons.

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, I want my home town to be in the best divison. Yes, I want my home town to be represented on the biggest sporting stage in the world.

Town???  Town????

If you want your town  to be in the best division they can then I suggest you start supporting that shower down the road and hoping they can cling on to Div 1 status this season. 

• Haha 3

How can anybody want to settle for second best?

Perhaps if we were to slip back into mid-Chumps mediocrity this love in for the league will evaporate.

A combination of the lock-ins, the frequency of games and the increased broadcasting and availability of games on our screens has gone a long way to alleviating the disappointments of last season, for me at least.

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday (with a few other interesting games thrown in as well,) loving it.

It wouldn't be such fun if we were struggling though. 

9 minutes ago, bringbackchippy said:

Financially yes. Enjoyment without cheating prima donnas and crap refs no

Plenty of cheating and crap reffing on display yesterday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Town???  Town????

If you want your town  to be in the best division they can then I suggest you start supporting that shower down the road and hoping they can cling on to Div 1 status this season. 

Well, home city. It's a saying.

I've still not had my coffee yet give me a break

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

We are a selling club, we don’t go up, we need money from selling players

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, I want my home TOWN to be in the best divison. Yes, I want my home town to be represented on the biggest sporting stage in the world.

Town? Bit of a give away Cambridge. 

• Haha 1

It's quite funny amongst my Blades supporting friends up in Sheffield at the moment (socially distant banter on social media of course).  Last season being in the EPL was where they deserved to be.  This season they'd rather be in the Championship away from all the "play acting, VAR, crap refs, media bias, etc.".  Well I'm laughing 😄

So, in my view if we experience their luck of last year, and avoid the kind of luck we had and what they're experiencing this year, we can get a foothold in the EPL.   Under Webber's model we will then start improve year on year to become established again like in the late 80's / early 90's.  Getting through the first season though is critical.

• Like 1

Yes, we are only finding the Championship fun because we're too strong for it.

Many of us can recall a long long (less than fun!) stagnant phase of tier two footy not so far back.

If we want stay at the crest of this wave (whichever division we're in) we need frequent appearances in the top flight to fund it.

Two things I haven't missed though is VAR and being bullied by taller, stronger and less error strewn Premier League midfields!

You have to get promoted if you are the best so its Catch 22.

All this talk of a dynasty is all very well but even allowing for last season being a one off because of the circumstances, seeing your team fighting a relegation battle each season which is likely is not what I would prefer.

Even a wealthy owner is no guarantee. Perhaps a famous coach who can attract players in the later stages of the careers might succeed for a while. But that spoils what is, at the moment, a very successful academy.

So yes, I would love us to win every game for the rest of the season and walk the league but the way football is set up I accept we will no doubt still be a yoyo club.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Since I got my season ticket in 2008, we've pretty much had something to play for every season apart from Farke's first season in charge. We're never going to be competing at the top end of the Premier League, so the excitement of getting to the PL and then trying to stay there isn't a bad old existence. Much better than most of my formative years as a City fan when we spent nine years 'on loan to the Endsleigh League' and achieving next to nothing.

Much as I dislike the premier league and everything about the way it is run and with VAR making it a farce, I still want to be in it....you have to be in it to win it and the challenge is there to do just that.  I don't believe in going in to a league just to make up the numbers - you get the right club, with the right set up, the right philosophy, with the right coach, the right players, then I believe it is possible.

As it stands I have no interest in the PL except with a passing interest in our ex-players who are there.  MOTD is about as interesting as watching paint dry with VAR having taken over proceedings to such an extent and punditry barely worthy of the description. Live PL games on TV hold no interest to me, I've got more time for watching a local team down in the park than for watching overpaid cheats falling down at the slightest touch to try and get penalties and people booked or sent off on a TV screen. 

PL football is so far removed form being a real sport it is laughable - it is over organised, over manipulated, governed by feeble minded money grabbers, so lacking in moral fortitude it is quite sad, but at the end of the day it is still the top league in the sport, so of course I want to be in it.

And when we are in it, I want us to be the team that rises above the hype, the team that stays on it's feet and doesn't fall over like they are being shot at the slightest touch, the team that plays football with total honesty and endeavour, the team that sticks to it's principles.  We can be that - if it means we are relegated again, so be it, but if we stay true to ourselves as a club, then anything is possible.

• Like 1

Yes. I'm already sick of the Championship; week in week out of teams just turning up to park the bus. Thought we were going to get some right old ding dong matches like 2018/19, but it's largely dull sterile stuff.

I'm quite enjoying the Premier League this season; the most competitive it's been for years. I haven't watched a single Championship game without us in it.

6 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

To be honest my knowledge of the ' ins and outs ' of getting butt raped every week is a little lacking so on balance the ' ups and downs ' of being a ' top 26 ' side seems preferable........

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

...........And when we are in it, I want us to be the team that rises above the hype, the team that stays on it's feet and doesn't fall over like they are being shot at the slightest touch, the team that plays football with total honesty and endeavour, the team that sticks to it's principles.  We can be that - if it means we are relegated again, so be it, but if we stay true to ourselves as a club, then anything is possible.

Never knew Corinthian-Casuals were your second team Lakey ? 🙂😉

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I see where you're coming from Fred it is no fun getting whooped most weekends and its more entertaining in the championship because that's more our level, but like the others say you have to aspire to something and of the course the money 

3 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I see where you're coming from Fred it is no fun getting whooped most weekends and its more entertaining in the championship because that's more our level, but like the others say you have to aspire to something and of the course the money 

GrumpyOldManistan? 

There are so many clubs in financial trouble, some have recently gone out of business, so if getting promoted means we have a season of 38 defeats with just £90m to make up for it to keep us going for a few more years and allow us to continue to invest in players to compete in the championship, then that's a pretty good worse case scenario.

As I've said before, if offered the next ten years of guaranteed yo-yoing I'd take it.

Of course five years of a settled five years existence in the PL is not to be sniffed at, but the prospect of five years Championship mediocrity would be disastrous.

Edited by BroadstairsR