Subject to us getting promotion, how about signing Dael Fry? He looked quite decent, quick, commanding, a leader and won’t cost the earth I wouldn’t have thought. At age 23 he’s a good age to improve.

He’s be an upgrade on Zimbo.

In principle I've love us to sign him, but I'd dispute the "won't cost the earth" bit, been linked to a lot of Premier League sides and I should imagine that he's the player who Middlesbrough see as the obvious ticket to a windfall. 

With us having to sign Gibson and presumably looking to make at least one of the loan left backs permanent (increasingly looking unlikely that it will be Xavi), and then the need to probably shell out a few million to get Skipp for another year, I can't see how we can afford to drop another big fee on a defender when its clear that we're going to need a striker at the very least in other parts of the pitch.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In principle I've love us to sign him, but I'd dispute the "won't cost the earth" bit, been linked to a lot of Premier League sides and I should imagine that he's a player who Middlesbrough see as the obvious ticket to a windfall. 

He’s under contract until 2023. Maybe we could send Zimbo as part exchange as he’s probably run his course with Norwich especially if we get promoted.

I was thinking along similar lines yesterday. Zimmermann and Hanley are excellent Championship centre backs but I feel we'd need an upgrade to partner Gibson if we're promoted. Fry, still relatively young, is already an excellent player at Championship level and looks like he has the potential to improve further.

However, Fry would cost at least £10m. If you look at Championship centre backs who moved to the Premier League without ever having top flight experience, you've got Webster who cost £20m and Kelly, Konsa, Rodon and Mepham who cost £10-12m. I can't see Fry being lower than this bracket.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

Is zimbo really done here?

Has a few years left in him and despite some below par performances this season, has always given his all for us.

Must be loved in the dressing room too!

5 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Has a few years left in him and despite some below par performances this season, has always given his all for us.

There's not a lot between me and Zimbo then. Apart from having a few years left in me, I'd supply below par performances and would always give my all for the team.  I am a big unit and like to think I could make some of the team laugh.

Caveat - I love Zimbo and would not like him to leave, but agree we would need another top notch CH if we go up. that quality signing , plus Gibson, Zimmermann and Hanley would be adequate (ish 🙂 )  for the Prem I would feel.  

13 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I dont think he's done here but I think he shouldn't be more than a backup. 

17 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

He's not done here, but he can't be a regular starter in a Premier League team.

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Zimbo is too slow for PL so best kept ax back up just in case we drop back into the Championship.

Was this the guy that was near death last week and Colin was “understandably” shaking with rage after he got one in the face ? One whole week later and he is well enough to put in a performance like that . 

Wonder how Max’s broken nose is this morning after the “coming together” yesterday ? 

Colin had Sky , the ref and all of the officials in his pocket yesterday. The real masterclass was his Sh1thousery. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agreed, at least not in a team that's planning to stay there. 

One or two younger CBs in Championship at the moment who could be suited.

I think last season taught us you need mobility as much as anything. Watching EPL defenders throwing themselves at crosses and passes rather than cumbersome good with ball in front of them types.

As a long shot, I think Sorensen may be the answer.  I know its another Godfrey type conversion but I really thought Sorensen had a bit of the Bobby Moore / Franz Beckenbauer about him, the way he calmly extracted himself out of tight situations, before calmly making a pass that turned defence into attack, whilst showing he could tackle, head and block.   

But that pre-supposes we don't have the money to buy a Fry etc.  and are not able to delve into the cheaper EU pool for a while.  If we do have the cash though, Fry seems a good punt.  

Love the way that after Fry won a free kick off Pukki he seemed to join Teemu in laughing directly at referee Keith Stroud for misreading the situation (I know, hard to believe he made a mistake 🤣). 

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

As a long shot, I think Sorensen may be the answer.  I know its another Godfrey type conversion but I really thought Sorensen had a bit of the Bobby Moore / Franz Beckenbauer about him, the way he calmly extracted himself out of tight situations, before calmly making a pass that turned defence into attack, whilst showing he could tackle, head and block.   

But that pre-supposes we don't have the money to buy a Fry etc.  and are not able to delve into the cheaper EU pool for a while.  If we do have the cash though, Fry seems a good punt.  

Sorensen compared to Beckenbauer ? No pressure there then 🙂

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

I personally think Hanley is a capable Premier League CB with the right partner. Zimmerman its hard to say - look at the monumental jump hes made in his career just to get to play for us at Championship level. The prem came too early for him in my book. At his absolute best, he has a small chance.

Both him and McNair who partners him are really good centre backs at this level. Wouldn't be against us signing either of them but for the fee they'd likely cost (£8m/10m plus) I think we could probably find someone better.

One centre back I'd really like us to look at if we went up is Marc Guehi who's currently on loan at Swansea from Chelsea. He's probably been the best centre half in the league this season, is 20 years old and you would think the next natural step in his career is to go out on loan to a lower Premier League side next season, which we hopefully will be. Obviously if Swansea go up then he'll probably favour a move back there, but if they don't I would love to see him bought in. Him and Gibson would be a superb partnership.

That all said, Hanley has more than earnt his chance to be our starting centre back in the Prem next season. He's been absolutely brilliant this season. I would like to see us make a big centre back signing if we do get promoted, but I don't see any real reason why Hanley and Gibson can't be a solid Premier League partnership.