Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Problems with the pitch

Relayed in recent years and quite expensive too. Lots of players on their backsides yesterday and the brown patches seem to be getting greater in numbers. No excuse for a poor performance but it needs maintenance in the summer. 

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Relayed in recent years and quite expensive too. Lots of players on their backsides yesterday and the brown patches seem to be getting greater in numbers. No excuse for a poor performance but it needs maintenance in the summer. 

Sure I read or heard Micheal Bailey talking about someone inside the club saying the issue steemed from a shorter summer break and not the normal amount of time to re-seed it properly. Ive certainly noticed it getting much more cut up then Ive seen before in recent years.. but then I saw Barnsley's pitch and realised we probably are still up there with the best of them haha! 

I’ve certainly noticed the pitch hasn’t been looking as good as it normally does over recent games. Several sides (Swansea, Brentford, clearly Barnsley) have had issues this year.  I put it down to the short/non existent summer break and then the much higher-than-usual rainfall we’ve been having.  It is clearly the same for both sides but for our style of play it obviously helps the better the playing surface is.  

The weather has been s**t since the end of July. Loads of rain, not a lot of sunshine and below average temperatures. All really bad for keeping grass growing through the winter. Especially if people then go and run around on it.

Spring cannot come soon enough.

I’ve noticed several pitches not looking at their best in the top two divisions, as others have said the short summer break and crap weather over the last few months can’t make looking after them very easy.

Just watch the Big Match Revisited on a Saturday morning on ITV4 at 10.30 as part of your pre-match warm up next time we're at home.  Then compare the pitches in that programme to the bowling green the Carra pitch still is!  Jesus, some people really are searching for excuses.  It's the same for both sides!

I am sure the amount of rain we have had since October has not helped matters, it is the wettest Autumn and Winter that I can remember for a while. Out walking today and you can see the amount of water laying on fields, how full streams and rivers are etc. Under those circumstances i though the pitch looked relatively OK..........